Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: "Quilters" do you fall in this category?

Nope - 55 and holding.

Nope - I have a corner of the Great/TV/Live-in Room.

Nope - With machine and all about $2000.

Maybe around $1200 - $2000 in fabric. I just added another $170 today. :roll: :wink:

Over on the age by a little bit

My dining room IS the sewing room, machine on table so no dining!

Way less on tools...only one of my machine was over $50.

Not sure on fabric, lots of it is bits and pieces bought by the bag or box for $5 or less. Even the bolts of fabric were el cheepo...and besides some of it my daughter's!

74 years young
    no way do I have that much invested. I have a 1936 Feathderweight, cant afford a new machine althought would love to have one that has a dropdown feed dog and fancy stitches. My machine sits on a small folding table in my bedroom.
    Maybe when I grow up, teehee!
    I have a nice stash, but nowhere near that amount.

I am only 38. And. The rest is pretty close. Maybe not quite so much money if you don't count gas and eating out to get fabric n equipment! Oh and then there's the wine too! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by pvquilter
    Read this in an article and thought I would share:
    Just a few quilting statistics:
    *The average age of quilter is 62 years old.
    *About 85 percent of quilters have a room dedicated to quilting activities at home.
    *On average, a quilter will have $8500.00 worth of tools and supplies for quilting.
    *A quilter will also have $3700.00 invested in purchased fabric.

Is this you? I know I fall in that category. Give me your thoughts. :lol: :oops: :roll:
    I'm 42, but I've been sewing and quilting ever since I was old enough to pick up a needle and thread. :)

I do have a dedicated room for sewing, plus my quilting frame and Juki are in the bedroom.

Counting the sewing machines and supplies I inherited from my grandmother and great-grandmother, that $8,500 figure is probably a low estimate. Both sewed their entire lives, had multiple machines, and TONS of supplies. My grandmother was well-off, and ... hmmm ... let's just say that she owned no fewer than 92 crochet hooks alone, if that gives an idea as to her "collection" of STUFF. Thousands and thousands of buttons. Hundreds of spools of thread. There is literally enough stuff to stock a store. :shock: Nobody else in the family sews, so guess who took all that stuff home! :mrgreen: (I'd give it all back if I could have my Granny back again, though. I miss her SO much. She passed away earlier this year at the age of 88. :cry: )

I don't have THAT much fabric. Maybe around $1,500 to $2,000-worth, on-hand. (Don't tell Hubby! LOL!) Now, if you count ALL the fabric I've ever purchased, oh yeah, I'm OVER, easily! :lol:

I only have a couple of years to catch up to the age but all else fits me as well :thumbup: Factor in embroidery software and I'm over the $ for supplies :D I have decided it is a good thing to have all these things during this depressing economy when I don't feel comfortable spending.

Blog Entries
    I am pretty close on all counts. My sewing room is stuffed full with books, machines and pretty fabrics. It's hard to give up any of it.

*About 85 percent of quilters have a room dedicated to quilting activities at home.
    *On average, a quilter will have $8500.00 worth of tools and supplies for quilting.

Is this you? I know I fall in that category. Give me your thoughts. :lol: :oops: :roll:
    Way too low on everything!

Past 62.

Do have a sewing room - even if it is small.

Even with my Janome machine I MIGHT have 1500 dollars worth of tools and supplies.

Probably have about $300 worth of fabric.

I didn't think I was even close on the supplies until I started thinking about all the little dodads I have picked up here and there. I almost never buy anything at full price. I even got a "deal" on my Brother machine. But that alone was 2100 so yeah. Fabric not so sure since I have been weeding out quite a bit in the last year. My tastes have changed and I donated a bunch of fabric to a church group after my yard sale was a bust. You guys would have hit that sale in a heartbeat I even had vintage machines. LOL But here no one sews I guess.
    Age soon I am 58 this year. Hmm when did that happen??
    I guess I have a studio since my machine is out all the time. I live in what was my daughters family room and a small part is my bedroom . I have my priorities straight.

cjk
    Nope, to all except the room. Just started back quilting so I am restocking. :D

No to everything. I like to be outside the square tho. :shock: :lol: :roll:

Blog Entries

Well..I am 53..so that doesn't fall on me.
    I have a room for quilting.
    I know I am way over the 8500 mark for "stuff"
    Hmmm...the fabric..well....way way over that.
    I keep looking around this room and wonder...when did I accumalate all of this..?
    Peace and blessings

Other than age, right on, (almost) In machines I am over.......Age, I will get there sooner than later....Fabric, at least that much.....Make that rooms (2) plus I often work in the living room :lol:

[quote=brookemarie19][quote=justwannaquilt]

Hey! You sound like me :lol: Although my hubby just brought a special table from work home that I now have my Brother on (in the toy room!!)
    But these are our toys aren't they? You fit right in, playing along with the kids :lol:

I am a crafter, up until last year I did mostly decorative painting. Then my friend showed me how to quilt, and now I have the bug...3 machines, 3 rooms filled with fabric, patterns,batting, patterns threads, pillow forms and more patterns!!! The things is, this is what I love to do, and I sell most of what I make. The problem is, I cant stop buying!!! LOL

This made me laugh as I remembered one of our guild members who had flooding in her basement. (from heavy rain) As neighbors and friends helped her move things up--her husband remarked. "You must have $200 worth of fabric here, why do you buy more?" We still laugh as the one bag had that much in---
    I fit the category except for age--add 10 to that-grin. I'm thinking of downsizing this fall and winter, so watch the "for sale" areas. It will be a job.

I have no idea how I compare with the last 2 items, but I'm way over 62 and my quilting, embroidery, and sewing area is in the lower level TV room. Guess according to them, I'm not your average quilter.

Derla J

Just wait, you'll get there. It's addictive.

I'm 46
    I do have a dedicated room since February when I got my long arm. (half a basement) Love it!
    $8500. way over that now with the long arm added in (Without the long arm it wouldn't come close to that, I mainly have rulers and fabric)
    Fabric- I use to work in a fabric store and bought most of it discounted but am sure its close to that.(I too have folded my fabric with the ruler and is easy to see and pick from)

Blog Entries
    Way beyond the age and don't have a sewing room (it's now grandson's bedroom) but definitely have the fabric and supplies. Goodness, I really don't want to think about the value of all that fabric and tools.

That's me, you been peeking in my room?

Blog Entries
    Well I'm over the average age of 62 but only by 6 years and I'm going to have to hide my net worth in fabric, machines and notions :|

I'm not 62 yet - and have a ways to go (i'm 50) but i do have a room for "crafting" and i have a ton of material, so this could be me other than the age!

I do have a dedicated "room" (actually a small garden shed outside) but I don't get to use it, mostly I sew at the kitchen table.

Otherwise - no. I'm 30 years old, I have maybe $1000 in equipment (a serger and a sewing machine, plus various and sundry small items) and I have I don't know how much fabric, but NOWHERE near $3,700 of fabric

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast