Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: $2000 to spend which machine?

I have a Janome Horizon and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyl
    If you had about $2000-$3000 to spend on a sewing machine that you can quilt on, which machine would you buy? I don't really care much about applique (a little would be nice) my primary wish is for the quilting. Don't think I could find a Bernina in that price range, but what about a Husqvarna? I want the wider throat on any machine I would buy.
    Thanks,
    I have the Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875, its about $2400. It has 175 stitches,5 alphabets(includes Cyrilic & Japanese). 10" throat space, needle up /down,thread cutter and lots of other wonderful things. I've had mine for a year now and like it better all the time.
    Another option is the Husq. Mega quilter, straight stitch only,
    9" throat and is great for both FM and walking foot quilting.
    I've sewn several quilts with this model, I worked for Husqvarna Viking for almost 2 years.

Blog Entries
    I love all my Pfaff's! and they were made in Germany! I have 3- 7570's and would not trade them for anything, They do all I ask of them and do it so nicly and are so quite, and love the IDT love, love, love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Symphony! Even traded in a Bernina to get it. Then traded in a Bernina serger to get the Enlighten
    I was thinking about buying the Babylock Symphony, but was wondering about how much they were. I would gladly trade in my Bernina for one...Eleanor Burns advertizes this one.

What features do you like about the Symphony?

I just bought the Brother NX-650Q sewing/quilting machine on sale last year for $999.99. I just happened to go to our local dealer and caught it on the last day of the sale. It is usually $1500-$1700. It comes with a wide table, quilting arm to lower and raise the foot. It also comes with the motion foot for machine stippling.
    I absolutely love it. I am on my 2nd quilt. I would have made more by now, but I've been very busy making corn hole bags for a local sporting goods company.

I am now looking to purchase the Brother PR-650 embroidery machine to add to my services. I have been unemployed since March of this year and have decided to go into business for myself.

Good luck, I've attached the link to the Brother website.
    http://www.brother-usa.com/HomeSewin...oductID=NX650Q

I guiltily admit to having Vikings, Berninas, Pfaffs, Elnas and a Janome and, if I had to pick one, it would be a Pfaff. I just love the IDT feature on my Pfaffs.

Janome Horizon with the 11" plate and 5 wonderful lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom
    I love my Janome 6600 but if I had $3000 to spend I would buy the 11000! But then I'm partial to Janomes. I think you can find a Bernina in that price range though.

What she said.
    yes, what they said!!

You can definitely get a Bernina in that range. If you don't mind a gently used, go to a dealer and see what you can find. I got my first Bernina, a 440 QE with BSR for $1900 used. Went back 3 weeks later and got the embroidery module for $500 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shermy
    What features do you like about the Symphony?
    I can use foot pedal, or not...
    I can use knee lift lever, button, or the old fashioned lift lever for the presser foot...
    Snap on feet, meaning more options...
    Machine will not sew with presser foot up...
    Self-adjusting pressed foot pressure...
    Auto-needle down and foot up for pivoting...
    Auto anchor sts at beginning and end of sewing...
    Thread cutting with the touch of a button...
    LOL I could go on and on...

Sorcha

Blog Entries
    You can compare Janomes here:
    http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...ewing-Quilting

If your interested in just the quilting, straight stitch, i would get the janome 1600, around $800 i think

i have the janome 6600, ($1,300.) love it. 9" throat. but i would not trade her for anything.

they just came out with a new janome, 6300 ..$1000.,not as many belles and whistles as the 6000, but it looks like a great machine..

if i had the money to spend, i would get the 7700,new horizon.

I was able to get a Bernina floor model for just under $2000. It doesn't have the BSR, but you can get that for under $1000 if you wish. All the quilt shop folks I spoke with (except Bernina) said practice was the key to free motion. I love my Bernina 430.
    tp

Bodil
    I just bought a Pfaff Expression 2 in Brisbane, Australia, $1600.

It is perfect for quilting. Has a 10" throat. I quilt King size quilts on it.

A Babylock Symphony, under 2000.00 I love mine. It comes with alot of attachments, including a couple of free motion feet.

Horizon or 6600 by Janome. They come with the extra feet. With Berninas you have to buy the additional feet and some of them are around $100.

I have the Janome Verizon, it has 11" of throat space and I got it just for all the quilting features and it is in your price range.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    My vote is for a Babylock Symphony!
    I got a Janome 7700 at the quilt fest last month. It has the biggest throat of any regular machine. But I was very unhappy with how it stitched, so I traded it in for a Babylock Symphony, which I've fallen in love with.

My vote would def be Bernina mine was $1,100 it is almost 11 years old has only been serviced once, and there was nothing wrong then I just thought should be maybe tuned up. It is like the Honda's my kids drive,haha. Happy shopping!

I would check out all of the machines suggested. One might just serve your needs better than another. Go to the dealers and test drive them, bring some fabric from home that you would normally sew with. Their sample pieces are so well starched and stabilized that you can't get a true feel of how a machine will perform on fabric you normally use.

Blog Entries
    I bought the Janome 7700 in early Nov. for just under $2000. It has the wide throat for quilting (haven't tried that yet). I bought it for mainly that reason. So far I love it. Check it out.

Definately a Bernina. Quailty through and through. Go to your local dealer to find out which one they reccomend for you and then go to ebay...they have a lot of machines that are in top condition.

I am really impressed w/ my Janome 6500 and plan on upgrading to the 6700 VERY soon - mainly because of throat size!

You should definitely look at the Janome Horizon. It has an 11 inch throat space and all the feet and stitches that you need for free motion quilting. It is one of the latest of the Janome models. I love mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sandyl
    If you had about $2000-$3000 to spend on a sewing machine that you can quilt on, which machine would you buy? I don't really care much about applique (a little would be nice) my primary wish is for the quilting. Don't think I could find a Bernina in that price range, but what about a Husqvarna? I want the wider throat on any machine I would buy.
    Thanks,
    I love, love, love my Janome 6600 - Janome is the best
    machine out there. You won't regret it :)
    Marcia

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast