Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: $2000 to spend which machine?

Quote Originally Posted by sewingladydi
    I think you can get a Bernina QE for under 3,000. I don't know if that price includes a BSR. Let us know what you end up with
    I have a booklet on the Bernina 440 QE, I was looking at one at Hancocks and absolutely fell in love with it. My dream machine, with the embroidery attachment it was $3500.00 but sure if I was ready to buy that I could have gotten it a little cheaper but watching the lady demo it I was very impressed.

Look at all the suggested brands online to find out the dimensions, then go to the stores for the ones you are most interested it trying.

Quote Originally Posted by TGood
    You should definitely look at the Janome Horizon. It has an 11 inch throat space and all the feet and stitches that you need for free motion quilting. It is one of the latest of the Janome models. I love mine.
    Right after I purchased my Symphony, which I totally love, I test drove one of these, it was very nice. It came with a nice acrylic table extention.

You could be right - my old 7570 was made in Germany and just keeps on sewing. My CV has a label on the front that says german design. Just so it is NOT made in China. I have Pfaff machines for over 25 years and prefer them over any others at this time.

Definately check the Baby Lock. Janome is good too.

I'm getting ready to try a 6600 next week. I've been looking at them on line and my husband has ok'd the purchase. I would love to talk to someone who owns one. Is the larger throat a big difference for you when you are fmq? Is the acc-feed foot really a great feature? Is it user friendly?. I have to go to Lake City to test drive one. The owner's wife of the shop has one and he will have her bring it in so I can sew on it. I'm a little nervous about a large purchase. I just want to have the right machine for me.

You can get a great Brother for that price range!

Janome 1600DB is straight stitch, metal bobbin holder, large throat opening and can go faster then the Janome 6500. It also has a wonderful knee lifter and build in thread cutter like the 6500, 6600, 7700. The good part is you will have about $2000 left to spend on fabric. It is made for quilting but is also wonderful for piecing. No bells or wisthles except what you NEED for quilting. There are different models, besure to get the one with the automatic thread cutter. Push the button and cut. I own several Janomes including the 6500.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyo
    Pfaff are not made like they used to be. They do not stand behind their machine. Not made in Germany anymore.
    SO true ... Pfaffs have NOT been made in Germany for the last 10 yrs or so, they are manuf in Asia now and some in Eastern Europe. Some models were being made in Sweden for a few years after Viking bought Pfaff, but no longer.
    I had a 25 yr old mech. Pfaff that NEVER had a problem, but I wanted the new features, so I bought one in 2007. It was made in the Czech Republic and I had nothing BUT problems. It sewed NOTHING like many friends' machines, all made prev. in Germany. What a disappointment ...
    Hopefully the newer Expression 2-4.0 models have solved their quality problems now. So much for that "German Engineering" !

I just bought a Pfaff Creative 4.0. It has a much bigger throat than most machines. It also has Integrated Dual Feed, which is a built in walking foot. I am learning to free motion on it and it has worked wonderfully. I have been sewing up a storm on this machine and I LOVE IT!!! I wouldn't buy anything else. You can also buy an embroidery unit to go with it, but I don't have time to for that. I have had Pfaffs for years. I wore out my old one that I had for 25 years. I looked at all the machines out there and decided this one was for me. I love the bigger throat. Take a look at it, I think you will love it like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    Pfaff are not made like they used to be. They do not stand behind their machine. Not made in Germany anymore.
    SO true ... Pfaffs have NOT been made in Germany for the last 10 yrs, they are manuf in Asia now and some in Eastern Europe. Some models were being made in Sweden for a few years after Viking bought Pfaff, but no longer.
    I had a 25 yr old mech. Pfaff that NEVER had a problem, but I wanted the new features, so I bought one in 2007. It was made in the Czech Republic and I had nothing BUT problems. It sewed NOTHING like many friends' machines, all prev. made in Germany. What a disappointment ...
    Hopefully the newer Expression 2-4.0 models have solved their quality problems now. So much for "German Engineering" !!
    I bought a Pfaff Creative 4.0 this past summer. I love this machine. I saw that some people were having problems with theirs, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. My dealer said that 95% of the problems people are having is that they didn't learn how to use the machine. It is computerized and does take some learning. This machine also talks to you and tells you when something is wrong. I have taken the time to learn the machine and what to do when something happens. I love the longer throat and the IDF. I can't imagine going back to anything else. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS MACHINE.

I LOVE my Pfaffs. A 12 yr old for general sewing, and a new Expression 2.0 for quilting. Bought the 2.0 for the large throat. I can fit a whole king size quilt in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGurl
    SO true ... Pfaffs have NOT been made in Germany for the last 10 yrs, they are manuf in Asia now and some in Eastern Europe. Some models were being made in Sweden for a few years after Viking bought Pfaff, but no longer.
    I had a 25 yr old mech. Pfaff that NEVER had a problem, but I wanted the new features, so I bought one in 2007. It was made in the Czech Republic and I had nothing BUT problems. It sewed NOTHING like many friends' machines, all prev. made in Germany. What a disappointment ...
    Hopefully the newer Expression 2-4.0 models have solved their quality problems now. So much for "German Engineering" !!
    I bought a Pfaff Creative 4.0 this past summer. I love this machine. I saw that some people were having problems with theirs, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. My dealer said that 95% of the problems people are having is that they didn't learn how to use the machine. It is computerized and does take some learning. This machine also talks to you and tells you when something is wrong. I have taken the time to learn the machine and what to do when something happens. I love the longer throat and the IDF. I can't imagine going back to anything else. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS MACHINE.
    I didn't mean to step on Pfaff lover's toes ... just wanted to clear up the misconception that Pfaffs are still GERMAN MADE machines. They aren't - and haven't been for a decade.
    I just know at least 20+ quilters who bought Pfaff models in the last 5 yrs incl. the Expression, and 95% of us had problems. All very experienced sewers & quilters who knew HOW to use them. The problems were Pfaff's - NOT the owners. Only a few still have those machines. The initial Expression models had a lot of problems - tension, foot problems, piecing 1/4 seams, jamming thread cutter and constant error msgs. Hopefully in 2 yrs they've solved those problems.

I would go for a Pfaff. I have three Pfaff machines and they are all I will use. They are great machines.

Quote Originally Posted by karen Cicio
    I'm getting ready to try a 6600 next week. I've been looking at them on line and my husband has ok'd the purchase. I would love to talk to someone who owns one. Is the larger throat a big difference for you when you are fmq? Is the acc-feed foot really a great feature? Is it user friendly?. I have to go to Lake City to test drive one. The owner's wife of the shop has one and he will have her bring it in so I can sew on it. I'm a little nervous about a large purchase. I just want to have the right machine for me.
    Hi Karen,
    I will be happy to talk with you about my Janome 6600.
    It is a great machine. You can PM me, and I will give you
    my e-mail address as well as my phone number if you
    want to talk by phone. If you ever sew on a Janome,
    you won't ever want another machine.
    Have a Great Day!
    Marcia

I got my Bernina 440QE for $2,300. It was a demo, but it looked brand new to me. I love it.

I like my Brother NX2000. Just got it about 2 weeks ago and still have a week before I get my first lesson on it, but the manual has been fantastic and it has a wonderful self-help touch screen if you do not want to pull the manual out. I have never done any machine quilting and am easily learning the bells and whistles on this. It has several choices to make a consistent 14 inch seam ( I like the special 1/4" foot for that ). It comes with 3 feet for freemotion and I am learning all 3 ( as well as learning to do FMQ. Depends on what exactly I am working on as towhich foot I prefer. The walking foot works great and it is my first time with a walking foot. Has knee lift which is new for me and lots of other goodies! Came also with a large table attachment for quilting, Bobbin works and a circular attachment. Very easy to learn. Now, perhaps something else is better for the price..but I do like mine.

I have a baby lock espire which is now the symphony. I got it as a late model. And absolutely love it. So my vote would go to the symphony as well.

Blog Entries
    I lust after the Symphony. I have a Pfaff 7570 that is one great machine, but I want more bells and whistles; ie: auto thread cutter, auto pivot feature that the Symphony has. Plus it has a larger throat.

I would be very very leery buying a new Pfaff, as many have said, they just aren't the same quality that they were. But....Pfaff has came out with a new machine, called the Smarter Pfaff, which seems identical to the Babylock Quest, except it has the auto thread cutter... And Babylock is coming out with a new machine to replace the Quest, called the Serenade. I'm betting it also has the auto thread cutter. Might be worth checking into as these machines have the IDF like the old Pfaff's.

JMHO...Make sure you test drive, use your own fabric and one other thing. Check out the sewing machine reviews on http://www.patternreview.com. There you will find lots of unbiased opinions. Since you are spending this much money, make sure you get the machine that suits you. We all like different things in a machine. Have fun shopping and let us know what you do!

I love my Babylock Espire - had it for 10 years and wouldn't know what to do without it.

Bernina would definitely be my choice.

Blog Entries
    I tried out a lot of machines but got a baby lock The only reason being was my local store and the people in it. They can do some simple repair and they teach you all about how to use it and keep teaching till you get it right. I think most machines will suit a lot of people but without the backing of your store it will not be much fun....

Blog Entries
    sorry forgot to tell you all. I went every other day and they always found something new to tell me or show me. When I found the one I wanted I sewed on it trying different things 3 days in a row. I can not say enough about support.

Banned
    Interesting to read everyone's preferences for machines. I have a Juki TL 98Q that is great for quilting but has no zigzag or other stitches--main disadvantage to it is a terrible needle threader and hard-to-insert bobbin. Saw a newer model, the Juki Exceed F600-something at a show that was a show special for $1,000 that has addressed these problems (drop-in bobbin, easy needle threader) and has the great Juki advantage of having a foot-operated thread cutter on the same pedal base as the forward pedal thing. Plus the knee-lift presser foot lifter which is also a great timesaver. Loads of extra stitches.

Less than you're wanting to spend but looks like a fun machine and you could spend the extra money on a fabulous vacation!
    (Just kidding).

Dana

Blog Entries
    Hi I have a sapphire 850 by husquvarna love it and now they have a walking foot that is interchangable I love this new toy the machine has a 10 inch throat space for quilting and alot of extra stitches and lettering hope this helps paid 1100.00 good luck shopping

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast