Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: $2000 to spend which machine?

I would, without a doubt, look at the Janome dealer and check out the new 7700 model. Upgraded from the 6600, there are a lot more features on this one and you can sew cuffs. The throat on this machine is longer so you are able to quilt with ease. It's not a long arm, but it certainly can do your quilting a lot better than any machine with a small throat. The work table is generous as well. Janomes are wonderful machines and considered workhorses. With the amount of quilting you plan to use it for, it will not disappoint you. I am not sure of the cost of this machine, but I certainly would aim at this model if you can buy it; maybe a layaway plan might help you afford this machine.

The fluke on the 6600 is that the base isn't removable to sew cuffs and pants hems. Not a problem for anyone who can sew because you can just figure out a way to do cuffs. I use my 6600 and feel spoiled because it's a superior machine from the 28 year old Kenmore I was working on. I feel privledged every time I turn it on and wouldn't give it up for anything unless I got the 7700.

Take your time looking for the right machine. You may even find the 6600 used at dealers and if you do, grab it. You won't be dissappointed with that machine either. Kenmore attachments fit the Janomes and so do some of the universal attachments and bobbins. No dealer will tell you that, but mine did. Also, if you have a good dealer who is willing to help you learn about the machine you buy, then you can expect good, honest repair service from them as well. Many dealers are just there for the sales and don't accommodate the buyer for anything else. If you are in the Lake City Florida area, check out Fabric Art Shop. The girls there will assist you with pleasure. They will also repair on site. That's where I got my machine and they are very nice.

I agree with the Babylock espire, love love love it, or the Brother QC-1000 which is brothers model of the espire but you get the my custom stitch feature that isn't on the espire and it a little cheaper than the espire

I was wondering about a free arm on Janome 6600. It doesn't look like it has one. I'm no sure it would keep me from buying it but it is a small consideration. I'm in Gainesville not far from Lake City. There is a dealer there whose wife owns the 6600 and she is going to bring it in the store for me to try. Thanks for the input.

I all ready spent my money....bought a Babylock Symphony and I love it!
    I have a Babylock Elegante 2 that I was using for quilting and embroidering, but I wanted to do both at the same time.
    Now I can embroidery and quilt, I just pivot on my chair and change my threads for the embroidery project and back to my quilt project!
    Really love my machines.

Bev

Janome Horizon - $3000 - lots of great features for quilting

I have three Janome's and I love then all they are sturdy machines do not have plastic parts easy to run and do everything I could possibly want. I fell for mine the minute I sat down to try them out.

I love my Elna Quilter's Dream II

Diannia

Blog Entries
    I am about to quilt my queen on the 7700 any tips??? I am a bit nervous about ruining my quilt...I do not want to do the stitch in the ditch. Think the free motion...
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Nana
    I recently purchased a Janome Horizon 7700. It's new so they aren't discounting the price yet, and I paid 2999.00. I just quilted a queen size quilt in no time at all. The 11" throat makes it a breeze. It also has more decorative stitches than I'll ever use and it also does small letters in 3 different fonts. it came with 17 different feet, but I've only used the walking foot which trugged across my thick batting without a cough or a wrinkle. I still have much to learn about it but so far I love it. Definitely check this one out before you buy.

Blog Entries
    Mine was 2,400...with a ton of extras....what is hard is only a few dealers around so its hard to shop around unless you like driving...My husband bought it and he really, really liked the dealer/shop...he is not a shopper but he really liked this shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacqstash
    Janome Horizon - $3000 - lots of great features for quilting

Blog Entries
    I love my Jamone 7700!!!! 11 inch throat and does things that I never dreamed I could do!

Blog Entries
    I had a kenmore...I had no idea that they use the same bobbins and feet as the 7700 that is awesome!!! I was going to go buy new bobbins. What about the needles are they the same? The 7700 comes with 17 feet so I don't that I would use any of those from my Kenmore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
    I would, without a doubt, look at the Janome dealer and check out the new 7700 model. Upgraded from the 6600, there are a lot more features on this one and you can sew cuffs. The throat on this machine is longer so you are able to quilt with ease. It's not a long arm, but it certainly can do your quilting a lot better than any machine with a small throat. The work table is generous as well. Janomes are wonderful machines and considered workhorses. With the amount of quilting you plan to use it for, it will not disappoint you. I am not sure of the cost of this machine, but I certainly would aim at this model if you can buy it; maybe a layaway plan might help you afford this machine.

The fluke on the 6600 is that the base isn't removable to sew cuffs and pants hems. Not a problem for anyone who can sew because you can just figure out a way to do cuffs. I use my 6600 and feel spoiled because it's a superior machine from the 28 year old Kenmore I was working on. I feel privledged every time I turn it on and wouldn't give it up for anything unless I got the 7700.

Take your time looking for the right machine. You may even find the 6600 used at dealers and if you do, grab it. You won't be dissappointed with that machine either. Kenmore attachments fit the Janomes and so do some of the universal attachments and bobbins. No dealer will tell you that, but mine did. Also, if you have a good dealer who is willing to help you learn about the machine you buy, then you can expect good, honest repair service from them as well. Many dealers are just there for the sales and don't accommodate the buyer for anything else. If you are in the Lake City Florida area, check out Fabric Art Shop. The girls there will assist you with pleasure. They will also repair on site. That's where I got my machine and they are very nice.

My hubby bought me a Janome 6600P for Christmas last year and I absolutely LOVE it! I do not LA but I have done many quilts and have top stitched them all with it. There is generous space and SOOO many decorative stitches! Good luck and happy hunting :)

Janome Horizon??? I'd love to try one out. I have the 6500 and love it!!

I love my Bernina and they have some in that price range.

I have three Janomes and one bernina. I love my memory craft 6600...I would buy the new horizon in a heartbeat. You get way more bang for your buck with Janomes...plus their reputation is stellar. Way cheaper to service as well!

Janome Horizon without a doubt.

I would definitely think about a Janome. Get the most machine for the amount of money you have to spend. I was just at my LQS the other day checking prices and I think that the MC11000SE was listed at 8,000.00. Quite a bit out of my price range for quite a while. They do have several that you can pick from that fall into your budget.

I would get a Bernina I have Activa 240 my first Bernina machine, about 1500. wanted embroidery so bought Artista 630 last yea with embroidery module and love both of them.

The Janome 11000SE is not and should not be listed at $8,000.00. Gees, you can get one on Ebay for about $3,000 now. I paid $4,500 for mine almost 3 years ago now.

Thanks Jamiestitcher62 for the info on the Janome 11000SE because I guess I would have really got taken. Just goes to show you that you have to watch the prices at your LQS.

Well, if you just want a straight stitch machine, I suggest a Juki TL98Q it's throat is 9".

Quote Originally Posted by sewingladydi
    I think you can get a Bernina QE for under 3,000. I don't know if that price includes a BSR. Let us know what you end up with
    I go the Bernina QE 440 with the BSR and I bought it WITHOUT the embroidery module so I saved a considerable amoutn of money. You do not have to buy it with the embroidery module.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyo
    Pfaff are not made like they used to be. They do not stand behind their machine. Not made in Germany anymore.
    Don't know where you got your info, but I have to disagree. I have a 14 yo Pfaff and have never had a moment's problem with it. I like it well enough that 2 years ago I bought a new Pfaff just to get the 9 1/2" throat. I dearly love both machines and wouldn't give up either of them.

Me too..... got that machine and love it...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7