Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$25 Bernina >

$25 Bernina

$25 Bernina

Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM

Just curious where you found this gem... :-)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Wow, what a deal!!! I would love a 930. I bought a Bernina 910 as a backup machine (to my Bernina 440 computerized machine). It's a basic model of the same era as the 930, it has no decorative stitches and no knee lift. Yet, it is the same Bernina quality.

The info about the heel tap for needle down/up doesn't always hold true. Mostly, but there are exceptions. My 910 is dated 1983 (serial number begins with 23), but it does have the heel tap. The foot control type that came with the machine is a better indicator (although the foot control could have been replaced). The type 366 foot control would have come with the heel tap machine, type 347 foot control would be earlier without the heel tap.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Wow great buy! A few feet and you will have a gem!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:28 AM

I bought a 910 on CL earlier this summer for $100. It is complete with case, table, manual and all attachments, so I think I did well too. One thing really puzzles me. For such expensive machines I can't understand why Bernina did not make the presser feet pressure adjustable. I have machines from made from 1894-2012 and this Bernina is the only one with no adjustment.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 AM

Congratulations on such a bargain!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:55 AM

Awesome deal. I have an 830 that was my DH Grandmother's and I love it. I have been able to get all parts and feet for my machine at www.sewingpartsonline.com They have everything you could need it is a great website.

Enjoy your new machine.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 AM

What, $25!!! You really scored. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my 930. Just an FYI, my dealer told me to NEVER get rid of it and I have been sooo glad I haven't. I know you will enjoy and fall in love with your 'new' 930. You should be able to get a manual online, if you don't have one.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
I am a Bernina fan and I just bought a Bernina 930 for $25. There was just one foot and no case, but the table part is there and I have taken it apart and cleaned it which by the way it was hardly a speck of dust or lint in it.

It has a silver bar on the front and by the manual, it looks like the thread goes under the bar twice be for it goes to the take up lever. I cannot figure how you get the thread behind the bar. It sews wonderful with the way I have it threaded and I am thinking I just cannot see the thread in the picture and it is really not behind the bar. I will be searching for feet. It sure seems like I have stumbled across a real jewel. I walked away thinking "Whoopee".
WOW, what a deal...you're so very lucky. I have extra feet if your interested PM me.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 AM

great deal
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 AM

About 18 months ago, I went to an estate sale that I saw on Craig's list. The lady was a Dr. of some sort and a sewer and quilter. She also was 20 times the fabric hoarder that I am. She had a house full of fabric, a trailer full of fabric and sewing and quilting notions, another stand alone place where she taught classes with full bolts and a garage full of books. I bought around 500 yards of fabrics, notions, rulers, blades and lots of fabric kits, patterns, blocks of the month from different quilt stores, and fat quarter bundles. My husband nearly had a stroke as I was dragging my niece, friends, DIL and her friends, sister out there about every other day and bringing back loads. I spent right at $150 for all. It was unbelievable. I had pictures of a lot of it, but never posted them...why, I don't know. I got fabric for a friend that sews many donation quilts and more than what I can describe.

Well, I saw a garage sale advertised and it said sewing tables so I decided to go look. It was one of the nieces who had been running the sale at her aunts. We recognized each other and I looked at the sewing tables and asked her if she sold her aunt's machines. She said she had one left. She took me to an outside shed and there that baby sat with roach poo all over her outside. I plugged it in and she purred so I said how much? She said $25 and I almost knocked her down to give her the money.

Both the nieces who were trying to clean out the aunt's properties were very nice ladies. I had had shoulder surgery and was in a mess and a sling. I had to take someone with me every time I went because I could only use one hand. It must have been 90-100 degrees in the buildings where we were digging through boxes of fabrics. Included in all I got were quilt kits that originally had been $70 to $198. Some of those I have given away to friends who could not make the sale. I paid like $3. each for them. Amazing what quilters will do for a good price on quality cotton fabric. One day she made ice cold lemonade and brought it too us. They just wanted to get rid of everything so the place could be sold. I probably brought 6-8 people out to buy so I guess that is why she remembered me...or I am just memorable. Bet when you asked how I found the 930, you never expected a book. I cleaned the poo off and when I opened her up, there was hardly a speck of dust so the aunt had really maintained her machines. I have found doing something nice for someone always comes back 10-fold on me. I am so excited over this machine.