Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this $40 Singer a great deal? >

Is this $40 Singer a great deal?

Is this $40 Singer a great deal?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 AM

Buy, buy, buy, she's a beauty and I'm sure you can find the pedal on EBay.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 AM

I just this week, a few days ago, bought a Singer 99- off of Craigslist for $20. It clean and looks hardly used although the seller said they used it all the time. The case is a little rough looking but Hey!, I don't have to sew with the case, right? I'm planning on putting it in the shop for a general check up and tuning. I tried to sew with it and couldn't figure out how to thread it until I went on Utube and some very sweet gentlemen named Brian did a demo on how to thread the machine, wind the bobbin and sew with it, A Great Help!..From what I can tell so far, the tension needs to be adjunted, I think someone took it apart and it needs to be put back together but all in all, it'a a great little machine, I love it, named her Eunice.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:17 AM

I just bought one similar to that at a farm auction and I paid $85 for it & was thrilled to get it for that! That one is a beauty! Also, as for the foot pedal, I could be mistaken but I think that socket in the front is for a knee arm, not a foot pedal. At least that is the way mine is set up & it looks about the same. If I were you, I'd snap it up!! :-)
Old 09-15-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
I found a craigslist posting today for this singer sewing machine. after talking to the seller, the machine passed from her grandmother to her mother to her. neither the mother nor the seller sews so they are selling the machine. they couldn't find the foot pedal that goes with the machine so does not know if it sews or not but it looks to be in great condition.

the seller mentioned that i could probably purchase a foot pedal for it. i am not sure what that would cost or if i could find one. i am more interested in purchasing it since it is a "family" heirloom instead of a random estate purchase.

do you think this is a good price for the machine? are foot pedals hard to come by for this type machine? the seller did mentioned that there was new wiring on on the machine. what are your thoughts, should i purchase it?

i also saw another one like this listed on craigslist for $75.00 which was an estate purchase.

mary
Yes a good deal, no foot pedals are not hard to find, these are hard to destroy, good cleaning, maintenance, and keeping adjusted are about it, unless motor is shot. :-D
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

So did you buy either machine?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:25 AM

Does the knee bar store in top of the case? Maybe it is there and the non-sewers don't realize it!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 AM

thanks so much for all of the information on what to look for. i will look at the machine tomorrow. i do not collect so this machine is being purchased to sew with. so i'm hoping everything is there that i need.
Had to laugh at "I do not collect" statement - mostly at myself. I didn't start out collecting either but now I have a collection. It started with one as a backup machine then one I could travel with then a good buy on one and so on and so forth. They begin to find you after a while and now I have friends who tell me where they saw vontage machines and one friend occasionally buys one for me. I don't believe many of us started as collectors but some of us wound up as collectors. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 09-15-2011, 07:36 AM

what is the youtube video you watched?
my mother's name was eunice. how unique.

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
I just this week, a few days ago, bought a Singer 99- off of Craigslist for $20. It clean and looks hardly used although the seller said they used it all the time. The case is a little rough looking but Hey!, I don't have to sew with the case, right? I'm planning on putting it in the shop for a general check up and tuning. I tried to sew with it and couldn't figure out how to thread it until I went on Utube and some very sweet gentlemen named Brian did a demo on how to thread the machine, wind the bobbin and sew with it, A Great Help!..From what I can tell so far, the tension needs to be adjunted, I think someone took it apart and it needs to be put back together but all in all, it'a a great little machine, I love it, named her Eunice.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
thanks so much for all of the information on what to look for. i will look at the machine tomorrow. i do not collect so this machine is being purchased to sew with. so i'm hoping everything is there that i need.
Had to laugh at "I do not collect" statement - mostly at myself. I didn't start out collecting either but now I have a collection. It started with one as a backup machine then one I could travel with then a good buy on one and so on and so forth. They begin to find you after a while and now I have friends who tell me where they saw vontage machines and one friend occasionally buys one for me. I don't believe many of us started as collectors but some of us wound up as collectors. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So true!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 AM

If it doesn't sew at purchase, I wouldn't buy it.