Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4 seam >

1/4 seam

1/4 seam

Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 AM

Since your needle can't be moved in tiny increments, try using a different foot. If you have a foot with a groove in it, like for satin stitch, give that a try. I accidentally found out one particular presser foot will give me a scant 1/4", by moving my 1/4" into its groove, just a bit past a true 1/4".

On my old machine, I would sometimes measure each presser foot, until I found one of the proper width, for whatever seam I wanted, then used the edge of that foot, as a guide.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Since your needle can't be moved in tiny increments, try using a different foot. If you have a foot with a groove in it, like for satin stitch, give that a try. I accidentally found out one particular presser foot will give me a scant 1/4", by moving my 1/4" into its groove, just a bit past a true 1/4".

On my old machine, I would sometimes measure each presser foot, until I found one of the proper width, for whatever seam I wanted, then used the edge of that foot, as a guide.
Excellent suggestion! I will try that right now. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM

Warning if your machine reverts to the center position when turned off:

Whenever I am doing a project that involves moving the needle position I put a note on my machine with the project name and the needle used. I use painter's tape to hold the little post it note ... so it won't fall off and is more visible.

ali
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Warning if your machine reverts to the center position when turned off:

Whenever I am doing a project that involves moving the needle position I put a note on my machine with the project name and the needle used. I use painter's tape to hold the little post it note ... so it won't fall off and is more visible.

ali
I do the same thing with the little post-it-notes. I also keep a larger index card file that I will write the info on and can also attach fabric pieces or pictures.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 AM

I think with the pattern you are using the scant is not as important as consistency. A scant 1/4 is a myth in my opinion just like the unicorn. Have fun and don't stress.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think the best advice I can give is be consistant. The quilt may end up being a little smaller than the pattern if you don't get a scant 1/4 but if all the seams are the same I don't think it will matter. I think Bargello calls for narrower seams because on some of the very narrow pieces, you don't want the seam allowances to overlap. I have a good 1/4 foot and I move my needle position over one space when A pattern calls for a scant 1/4.
Being consistent is the key! I just finished a pattern that called for a scant 1/4 inch seam and I just used my 1/4 foot. It came out just fine. I recently read on a pattern that you might want to go slightly larger than 1/4 inch to accommodate for the folding over of the fabric. I ignored that too and just use my 1/4 foot. Consistency.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:05 PM

Where you might run into a problem not perfecting your scant quarter inch is when piecing and not having the same number of seams on each section of the block. Or having 1 piece with no seams and trying to connect it with a piece with a few seams. It really can make a difference. Anyway, that's where I have problems.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:38 PM

I use a 1/4" foot and move my needle one notch to the right for a scant 1/4"
Old 10-06-2012, 05:03 PM

The other thing I've done is to take a tape measure, lay it out to 1/4 inch and mark the machine with a sharpie. If I want a scant inch I sew on the left edge of the mark and if I want a regular 1/4 inch I sew on the right edge of the mark. Has worked pretty well for me and it gives me a nice mark to guide the whole piece into the feeder dogs.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sewflower View Post
I think with the pattern you are using the scant is not as important as consistency. A scant 1/4 is a myth in my opinion just like the unicorn. Have fun and don't stress.
I agree 100%!