Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 going on 18

Help me, I have made a few quilts for charity and baby showers but I have a 10 year old daughter who wants me to make her a quilt and I have no idea what "type" to make her..Everything I show her is either to baby-ish or old people design's (as she put it) I'm not very experienced and have only done yellow brick road and a few panel quilts so I need something I won't get discouraged on.. her room is going to be hot pink and black (don't ask-she wanted those colors and daddy say's yes!) So I need an easier two or 3 color quilt pattern for a "young lady"..any suggestions, way to many beautiful quilts on here for me to narrrow down with suggestions for her.

Blog Entries
    Trip around the world would look great with those colors.

google searched - maybe one of these will inspire you:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&b...0black%20quilt

I like the black & white carpentar's star with pink accent: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilively/456922388/ - bonus, recently easy patterns were discussed on the board for the pattern.

This one's cool too: http://www.bevselectricquilting.com/...id=7&showall=1

Thanks- going to look it up with her at home tonight..never thought my 10 year old would be so intimidating to quilt for...:)

I am a new quilter also. Check out this picture of a quilt I made my daughter--she wanted hot pink also

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-84728-1.htm

It is an easy pattern that I got free off of the internet. Let me know if you are interested and I will try and find the site for you.

Those are really in colors for those that age, or at least one that age in my world thinks so.... find a fun print and go for it. Keep in mind black may end up gray with time (know from experience:)) can go w/any big block pattern, in a couple of years taste will change.... Happy Quilting !!

I've had the same dilemma and found that what they want is something contemporary. Often that just means taking a basic pattern and making the pieces huge. I've done the D9P using 10" squares so my finished block is almost 15 x 15. The huge size makes for a quilt that looks modern and not old lady.

I am quilting this one right now for a baby quilt, but could easily be made into a quilt anysize, and seems fun for a 10 year old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What beautiful quilts. Now I want to hurry up and get out of work to show her these "narrowed down" ideas. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Blog Entries
    In order to keep her involved, keep having her go through patterns until she "discovers" the perfect pattern (smile).

Blog Entries
    When I took a disappeaing 9-patch class offered by our extension agent, there were 3-4 ladies who made the D9P quilt in pink/black combos and they were really cute! One used zebra print (which is hot right now) ... they were all very cute and there are several ways to do the D9P..
    Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by scrapngmom
    I am a new quilter also. Check out this picture of a quilt I made my daughter--she wanted hot pink also

It is an easy pattern that I got free off of the internet. Let me know if you are interested and I will try and find the site for you.
    This is the warm wishes pattern. google that.:)

Disappearing 4 patch with a bold pink print and a solid black. Is it Amy Butler who has such snazzy prints? Check on fabric.com.

That is a awesome quilt! It made me smile. :-)

She will find "her thing" just show her patterns'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tsp3400
    Help me, I have made a few quilts for charity and baby showers but I have a 10 year old daughter who wants me to make her a quilt and I have no idea what "type" to make her..Everything I show her is either to baby-ish or old people design's (as she put it) I'm not very experienced and have only done yellow brick road and a few panel quilts so I need something I won't get discouraged on.. her room is going to be hot pink and black (don't ask-she wanted those colors and daddy say's yes!) So I need an easier two or 3 color quilt pattern for a "young lady"..any suggestions, way to many beautiful quilts on here for me to narrrow down with suggestions for her.
    a pinwheel quilt..That would look so pretty in pink and black..I did one for my 15 year old daughter that was done in red and black..

Blog Entries
    why don't you let her flip through Quilters Cache - Quilt Blocks Galore and find some of the "one pin" blocks (beginner)and you can both learn at the same time. That's how I started teaching my neice. :)

If all else fails, ask another 10 year old.

Check out this quilt. I think it's perfect for a tween.
    http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...vin-on-up.html

I just made my mom a bed runner using this pattern. I love the way it turned out! And it was so easy!!

Blog Entries
    Ihave no suggestions other than making sure she understands to look at the 'pattern' and not the fabric when you're showing her quilt tops. Hopefully she understands she can pick out her favorite fabrics!

Maybe that'll make your job easier...as the fabric makes the quilt!

Ohh pinwheels comes to mind or maybe a day and night quilt, kids like stars, not to childish

My granddaughter is 10, I 'm making her a flip-flops quilt, she'll love it!

Thanks for all the wonderful Ideas..alot of things came up after work so was not able to get online and show here all the wonderful ideas..I just have to say I LOVE THIS BOARD!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PamB8s
    I am quilting this one right now for a baby quilt, but could easily be made into a quilt anysize, and seems fun for a 10 year old.
    Pam thats an awesome quilt, I love it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast