Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
15 pounds of fabric scraps...Now What? >

15 pounds of fabric scraps...Now What?

15 pounds of fabric scraps...Now What?

Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM

An amazing thing happened to me yesterday at the big JoAnne's sale. I was at the cutting table next to a woman that had a cart overflowing with novelty cottons. I asked if she was a quilter, and she said no, that she makes kid's sheets for a living. I told her that I like the novelty fabrics to make charity quilts with. She asked me if I wanted scraps from her fabrics, and I said Yes..Yes..Yes!!! So we meet this morning and I end up with over 15 pounds of scraps that are triangles that will produce at least a 3" square. Hundreds and hundreds of scraps!! Yippee!!!! Now, do you wonderful ladies and gents have any ideas of what I can do with them? Nothing fancy--I would like simple but fun ideas for the charity quilts. I am so lucky to have found this free source of fabric and I want to make this generous lady proud.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 AM

What about light-dark half square triangles?

Diamond-in-a-square?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:28 AM

WOW! You'll have fun with this :-P What a kind thing for that lady to do! Here is a link that might be helpful to you it has pics of quilts made with triangles. Would love to see pics of what you make.

http://exuberantcolor.blogspot.com/p...triangles.html
Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM

How about little Irish Chain quilts. They are quick and easy and are so much cuter than plain squares.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stacey
How about little Irish Chain quilts. They are quick and easy and are so much cuter than plain squares.
Very, very true! :D
Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

i'm makaiang an i spy quilt for a childrens ward , i'm using hexs about 3 1/2 acrosss, it goes tog quickly by hand, try that
Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 AM

There's also Bonnie Hunter's quiltville.com, I think she's the queen of scrappy quilts.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:43 AM

I know how you feel, my good fortune was meeting a lady who had antique quilt tops that no one in her family wanted; and no one in my family passed down anything much less quilts!
I have two quilts that I want to try for charity quilts, one from our forum and the other is from Art Gallery Quilts.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-15750-1.htm using a block called Gretchen. The other you will have to give your email address to get the pattern.
http://www.artgalleryfabrics.com/projects/index.shtml The pattern is featuring Girly Girl Collection. You might be able to look at the picture and figure out how its made without getting the pattern. It's similar to a snowball block with only two opposing sides squared off, then the four smaller sections are pieced together to form octagon-shaped block.
Hope these give you some ideas. Chris
Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Wow, that was some trip to Joann's!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I'm happy for you!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Wow, what good advice. I forgot about Bonnie Hunter, the scrap queen! Thanks for all of the advice so far, and I will definitely post pics. Right now I am sorting, sorting, sorting! Please keep the advice coming!