Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 UFO Therapy Thread - Sister Thread to 2013 UFO Challenge of the Month

Mom6: At least next time you know how to get the desired effect. I have started using a hand quilting frame to sandwich my large quilts. Was afraid that if I stretched it to tight I would pull it out of shape. Wrong. Had to turn it over and reapply the backing to get the wrinkles out. Live and learn.

I hope ta learn somethin' new w/each quilt I make.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Mom-6 - I love the carpenters wheel! Nice fabric choices.

At the rate I'm going with all the stuff I'm learning I should be really smart one of these days!

I would be a lot smarter if I didn't forget at least half of everything I learn.

smarter? learning? well, you can't tell it by these photos, ladies. wow . . . everything is just gorgeous! LOVE the pictures, thank you so much!

My May project is an airplane quilt for a friend of DH's. I got the pattern in November and made alterations as needed, then picked out the fabric in January. Made the 4-patch blocks at a retreat in March and did my first plane block Friday.

Yesterday and today I have been working on 13 more plane blocks...half of the "wings" are done, just one piece left to add to the other wings and then trimming before adding the "body" and "sky" to finish the block.

After that I still need to make a compass block, watch tower block, and several propeller blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carrie: Great start on your May UFO. Going to be great!

Blog Entries
    So Carrie, that is what one is supposed to look like.

I am finally picking up an applique project I started about 8 years ago. I am hoping it will be done in time to put in the quilt shows this summer and fall. we will see. Shopped like crazy to find a variety of colors to put to it. I am sure will be nice. Love it when a plan comes together and someone comes by your side and helps you get r done.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Finally getting around to working on UFO's altho my goal of one a month will never happen. Here is pic of backing I am working on for my Partriotic sampler quilt. It is huge so I need to make a huge backing. Trying to use leftover blocks and various fabrics and still have it look nice. Still need to get more fabric on for ends. Hope to have that done by end of week and then off it can go to the LA lady. :-) I am thinking I like larger quilts as that way they can be tucked in if needed plus hang over a bit.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Sandy: Love your backing although I swear it could be a top. More and more I am thinking of the back as a way to use up stash (For a Queen size almost eight yards) and a way to experiment with the more "modern" hard edge designs.

Blog Entries
    I too thought it was a quilt top! Nice blocks!
    Just finished cutting for a huge scrap quilt. Patterned after BBrackman's Under Lincoln Stars this measures 94 x 111. 8" blocks cut mostly from my 2 1/2" and 1 1/2" bins. Here's my a finished block and my EQ7 plan. The small 16P are done and need star points. The larger 16P will make great leaders and enders. This really cut into the overflowing 2 1/2" binName:  ULStars.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  1.18 MBName:  Under Lincoln's Stars  inspired by BBrackmans.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  79.2 KB
    Last edited by oksewglad; 05-05-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

OK: That is going to be a lovely quilt. I love the way EQ gives you a preview. Please keep showing us as you progress. Are all the scraps Civil War type fabric? The colors in the on you showed are so rich and warm.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Emma--not all the scraps are CW, but many follow those color lines. Like all scrap quilts, the use of light and dark values in background and points of stars are important as well as those values in the checkerboard squares. I see a strong diagonal line going up from bottom to top across the quilt. Noting this I will try to keep the darkest squares in the center of the checkerboards. Had it not been for the EQ rendition I wouldn't have foreseen this.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    That does look like a great pattern to use up those scraps. I am still working on the star quilt from scraps that has been cut up for a couple of years, maybe more. Dug out the applique project that hasn't been done for over 8 and someone is going to help me get it finished. I am so appreciative of that. Also dug out another UFO stash of blocks cut up and half done for a child's quilt. Going to donate that to the church group so we can probably get about 4 baby quilts out of them. Whew, getting some done. Haven't been on in awhile, trying to play catch up and get my obligationds done in a couple of extra swaps and customer quilts finished since surgery. getting there. Feels good.

Sandy--your quilt back turned out great.

OK--I am sure you will have fun with that scrappy little star quilt. I don't take the time for little pieces unless it is pp'd...at least not at this point of my quilting. Maybe in the future.

How are everyone else's projects coming along for May? It gets busy with outdoor work, graduations, end of school, and weddings!!

I have made good progress on my airplane quilt this month but had to take a break and work on a wedding gift for June.

1st pic: layout (not the right compass though)
    2nd pic: close up of the right compass
    3rd pic: close up of propeller center
    4th pic: one pic of LC
    5th pic: blocks all done...need to do a little more rearranging.

I will be joining you. Summer is almost here and I am working 4 days a week in July and off for the entire month of Aug. I would love to finish some things that have been in the basement for years. I am working on hand quilting a two color quilt for my parents that I have been working on for several years now. I have too many UFOs to count. If I can get some done this summer I will be happy.

donac--welcome to the group. You can post your WIPs here and finished UFOs here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...h-t209986.html

Blog Entries
    Nice work carriem! Keep it up.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    You are really doing well on your airplane Carriem. Now if I could get some more finished I would be happy. I have made progress on the four baby quilts. I have three of the four tops done, almost finished with the fourth. It is in its last stages. I am hoping I can get them quilted this weekend. I have the binding ready for two of them, will cut the last two and make up tonight along with a commissioned Steelers quilt that needs done before next weekend and a quilt on the longarm that needs done by Sunday for a customer. Busy weekend ahead. Yippee. It is at least warm outside.

QM--I think it would be hard to have other people's quilts "in the way" when I wanted to finish something of my own. Sounds like you are getting lots done even if the quilts aren't finished!

I got sidetacked by another UFO so haven't started quilting the airplane quilt yet...blocks are sewn into rows and propeller borders are ready too. Need to cut batting and backing.

For the quilt I have been working on, I just have a little quilting left and then adding borders/binding. This one uses a different QAYG method than I usually do. Each block is 24". The pattern is called "Vanilla Sky".

Carrie: Love your choice of fabrics, they look like a tapestry. The quilt is going to be a real beauty.

Can I count a UFO I finish for my niece? I went to visit family and she so sweetly asked for "help." I ended up bringing it home and finished sewing it together yesterday. Then I sandwiched it, practiced some free motion meandering, and made/attached her satin ruffle. This morning I pinned the back and now I'm deciding if I should hand bind or machine..... I asked kitty. She was NO help.

SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Blog Entries
    That counts as a finish in my world. Boy it's been a while for me!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Sheri: I agree, a finish for sure. I think Kitty wants it for herself, thats why she isn't giving you any help.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast