Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4 Patch Stacked Posies

Blog Entries

4 Patch Stacked Posies

I have the pattern and beautiful fabric. But, I'm afraid to start it. I'm afraid I'll goof up when I cut it out.

Help kick my butt in gear!!
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Blog Entries
    Ohhh, you HAVE to get it started, the absolute best part is putting the parts together and seeing what the block will look like! It's like opening Christmas presents!

I went to a quilt retreat recently where this style of quilt was the unofficial theme of the retreat. About 5 of us decided to make one, and when we got to the point of putting the blocks together, EVERYONE stopped what they were doing and came over to help and watch! It was so much fun seeing how everyone's choice of fabrics made such different and beautiful blocks!

There - does that help? lol

Okay, what if you mess up on cutting something out? Is that so terrible? Wouldn't it be worse to let that beautiful fabric go to waste by never making anything out of it?

I made the stacked posies supreme once and it was fun to do. The cutting isn't that hard and the resulting patterns are fun to see.

Okay, put on your quilter undies and just jump in and start cutting. Of course follow directions and be careful cutting, but, just do it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I know you can do it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have the same ailment. I have had the pattern and this beautiful material. I just can't get up the nerve to start so I will be watching this with great interest. Maybe we both can find a cure
    Sewflower

Blog Entries
    You can do this! You KNOW you can! Now start those positive mental thoughts going and stack up that beautiful fabric. You deserve all the compliments you will get. Keep us posted
    Sue

Blog Entries
    take some other fabric that might work and cut that and make up a few blocks first. it really is easy. i did one without the pattern. i ended up selling the pattern later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does anyone know of a free 4 patch stacked free pattern on the web?

Power Poster
    You will love it! It is so fun to see all the different patterns that come out of one fabric. You are only stacking 4 repeats so it is easier than OBW. There are 2 different ways to cut your 4 patches.... corner to corner triangle cuts make bias edges (yuck), so I stick to the simpler four squares. What can go wrong? If you mess up a set, they go into the scrap bin to be part of another quilt. You can do this and you will be so glad you did!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    Does anyone know of a free 4 patch stacked free pattern on the web?
    I haven't made the 4-patch posy pattern, but I have made one with this free pattern, and I'm told they're pretty much the same concept.

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...ntine_fantasy/

click on "download more info" that is to the right of the picture.

Just take a deep breath and do it! I made one for my dear Aunt and she loved it! It did turn out pretty good if I do say so myself. Easy and a lot of fun!

Blog Entries
    It truly is fun watching the designs appear
    . I made sure to line my layers well and pin well so they did not slip at all. Easy,really!

I made two and both were really fun. The hardest part was lining up the four layers, and even that wasn't so hard. Cutting it is no problem once you have the layers stacked (and pinned, to avoid slippage, like the poster above said).

I think there is a tutorial on this board somewhere. Watching it might give you the courage you need to get started...good luck!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I have made 5 quilts with the 4 patch posies or some variation- a good book with good instructions for layering the fabric and cutting is essential - you will have so much fun when you finally get started. The books I used were "Magic Stack-n-Whack Quilts by Bethany S. Reynolds. I took a class with Janice Jamison and we used "One-Block Wonders encore!" by Maxine Rosenthal & Joy Pelzmann - this class was a City Quilters in NYC.

The first one I did I cut the first group wrong. I then went back and did the measuring/cutting better. They came out beautiful. I used the missed cut triangles as part of the border of the quilt. My mom loves her quilt.
    I have made about a dozen since. They are so much fun.

Power Poster
    This is where I found my pattern.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...lock__D20.html
    SueDor

Just do it! It'll be gorgeous I'm sure!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Have made a couple of these and they are fun. Not nearly as much trouble as a stack and whack.

Blog Entries
    great you found a free one!! I cut my strips 3 or 4 inches wide. depends on the repeat of course. just pin matching areas through all layers and cut strips and then cut squares same size as strips, ie 3 or 4 inches. then have fun.

Blog Entries
    Here is another 'free' and detailed photos of each step. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...TQgimL?start=0 Once you start ~ you 'get it' and it will go fast. Sometime trying to figure out how you want the blocks take to look take longer.

When I was making mine, it involved my DGD, she was in charge of spinning the four squares to make the 'design' she liked best, then she handed them to me to sew. Years have past, and she will ask, 'when can we make one of those quilts again?'.
    Last edited by grammy Dwynn; 05-18-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

SueDor......Thank you for that CT site. I have printed it out and plan to use it soon.......

I just love, love, love these quilts. So fascinating to see how different each block will look and with relative ease. It is kind of forgiving if the points don't meet EXACTLY because they are lost in the print. Just beautiful fabric and I really like the way you put it together with sashing.

I used some ugly fabric to practice for mine and it came out so great!! Made a cool photo-like quilt which I called Sunrise Awakening. It's posted here on the board. So practice first and end up with 2 awesome quilts!!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I have made the Four Patch Posy, and the one on Robert Kaufman's site-Florentine something or other, is the same thing. I believe Peggi, above, gave you the hyper link.
    Karen in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    take some other fabric that might work and cut that and make up a few blocks first. it really is easy. i did one without the pattern. i ended up selling the pattern later.
    That's the perfect solution! And these blocks of yours, Tex, are FABULOUS! Now, we'll be waiting to see yours posted, too, Momma!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast