Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is 555,000 stitches on a floor model sewing only machine a lot of stitches?? >

Is 555,000 stitches on a floor model sewing only machine a lot of stitches??

Is 555,000 stitches on a floor model sewing only machine a lot of stitches??

Old 08-02-2014, 03:03 PM

an embroidery design can easily be 30,000 to 50,000 stitches give or take so you are looking at stitching 10-15 designs on the floor model which to me isn't much if they have had the floor model out for quite some time demoing it for customers
Old 08-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Dolphyngyrl, not embroidery, just sewing. I wasn't expecting to buy the floor model so I hadn't prepared at all for how many stitches would be on it already. I did ask before buying it and she showed me where that info is in the menu system. When I saw half a million stitches I was pretty startled and said that was too many. She assured me that she can have a busy sewing weekend and put as many as 200,000 on her machine. However, I'm pretty sure her machine was an embroidery model so not really apples to apples.

I have done the math now with stitches per inch, etc. and it isn't as bad as I thought. I mean when you hear half a million stitches doesn't that just sound like a HUGE amount of use? The machine is purring along and I'm smiling a lot so I think it is all working out okay.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:04 PM

I really don't think that is a lot at all.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:12 PM

So, what is the discounted price? Which machine?
Sandy
Old 08-03-2014, 04:45 AM

You should get a good discount and a full factory warranty...if not look around. It's not a lot of stitches, but it is USED!
Old 08-03-2014, 05:33 AM

Glad you are happy with your machine! I've been keeping track of the number of stitches when making a quilt. In just a day or so I put 50,000 stitches on my machine.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:48 AM

Default Machine Stitch Counter

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I can't really judge number of stitches because I've never had a machine that counts this. It certainly sounds like a LOT of stitches. Does this sound possible or is it more likely the machine was used and possibly a trade-in?
Although I am a quilting teacher and sew a lot every day, even I was surprised to have the technician tell me at my third annual check-up that my Bernina 440QE had a stitch counter that showed 37 million stitches! At that time I did not know it even had a stitch counter! Just last week the machine had it's fifth annual servicing and it now has just over 50 million stitches - mind-boggling even though (and especially because) every stitch is mine! This is my fourth Bernina in 54 years so you can tell how much I love them - and no, I don't work for them!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
Glad you are happy with your machine! I've been keeping track of the number of stitches when making a quilt. In just a day or so I put 50,000 stitches on my machine.
I've had my machine for a month, I quilt something every day, and I am showing 460,000 stitches. It was a floor model that they said had just been set up and I wasn't aware of the stitch counter so I don't know how many stitches was on it at that time. I do know it's not unusual to put on a thousand stitches just oiling the bobbin casing, so I would say half a million is nothing compared to what you might do with it at home.
If the price is right, go for it!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:09 AM

What kind of machine and how did they show you. My dealer says there isn't a way, but when I was considering trading it in, he pushed a couple of buttons before coming up with a price.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:20 AM

All this math so early in the morning is making my head hurt. In the grand scheme I do not believe the floor model has seen heavy usage and if the owner is giving you a warranty and standing behind your purchase I'd be inclined to go for it.