Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 58-60" wide

58-60" wide

Lets say I want to make a bed top cover the width is around 58". The material you get is not 58". Now I know I can add borders and stuff to the edges to make it 58", but what do I do for the back? The back has to be larger, and I do not see anyone adding to it, or maybe I am missing that?

If you can't get wide backing, you have to seam.

Quote Originally Posted by zipit View Post
    If you can't get wide backing, you have to seam.
    I was hoping that would not be the answer. Ok, so it is the anwer. I suppose I can work the "seam" into the quilting process. I am so new at this stuff

I've purchased 108" wide fabric from fabric.com. Worked great.
    No doubt there's other places selling 108" wide fabric.

The backs you have seen are probably all one color so you can't see the seams or they used the wide backing which comes in widths up to 108"

Some quilt stores sell backing in patterned fabric. One of our locals sells 108 that way. More expensive, of course.

Blog Entries
    Pieced backing can be as beautiful as the front I like to use fabrics from the front to accent the backing. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t120335.html This is a link to one I did for DGD. Maybe you can get some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by salden View Post
    Lets say I want to make a bed top cover the width is around 58". The material you get is not 58". Now I know I can add borders and stuff to the edges to make it 58", but what do I do for the back? The back has to be larger, and I do not see anyone adding to it, or maybe I am missing that?
    If you can't find backing to suit you needs, seam the backing. Sew extra straight and extra carefully and press well---------------it's will be hard to see your seam and will look great.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

[QUOTE=salden;5742900]I was hoping that would not be the answer. Ok, so it is the anwer. I suppose I can work the "seam" into the quilting process. I am so new at this stuff[/QUOTEC]

Is there a reason you're opposed to a seam? When you quilt, it should make no difference. Treat the back as one piece of fabric, in spite of the seam.
    U N T I E

[QUOTE=GrannieAnnie;5742960]
    I was hoping that would not be the answer. Ok, so it is the anwer. I suppose I can work the "seam" into the quilting process. I am so new at this stuff[/QUOTEC]

Is there a reason you're opposed to a seam? When you quilt, it should make no difference. Treat the back as one piece of fabric, in spite of the seam.
    Not opposed, just not sure if that is what I should do, or was I missing something. I want to be sure I do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    Pieced backing can be as beautiful as the front I like to use fabrics from the front to accent the backing. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t120335.html This is a link to one I did for DGD. Maybe you can get some ideas.
    That is so nice, the quilt. And, I have some fabric what will go with my quilting fabric. I can do this.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Ways to piece backings:

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You might look at www.craftsy.com for their free class on creative quilt backs. It might make you more comfortable with the process.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=salden;5742969]
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post

Not opposed, just not sure if that is what I should do, or was I missing something. I want to be sure I do it right.
    If you hang around here for while you'll find that there really is no "right way." It's your choice. I think it's part of the learning process we all go through to develop our own personal style. I look forward to seeing your quilt.

[QUOTE=salden;5742969]
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post

There is no ONE way that is right. You can use a panel of some sort and frame it. You can piece the back as in a couple examples here. You can find 108" & more backings on line and often in stores. You can do simple seams. You can seam it up and down or you can seam it across.
    U N T I E

Blog Entries

If you hang around here for while you'll find that there really is no "right way." It's your choice. I think it's part of the learning process we all go through to develop our own personal style. I look forward to seeing your quilt.

Just to show you the variety of wide backings out there check Backside Fabrics. (I'm not affiliated with them or anything, they just have a large assortment to look at!) And some of the fabrics are 118" wide. Sometimes I'll buy wide fabric on sale to use as regular fabric in quilts...you can get some great deals this way.

Alison

Banned
    calclate the difference in wide backing vs two lengths for seaming. It may not be more expensive and certainly less work.

Blog Entries
    Most of my quilts have pieced backs. One way to use up leftover fabric. I always buy extra to allow for any mistakes.