Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 7/8th measurements

7/8th measurements

Why do designers give measurements such as 3 7/8..can I cut 4" blocks instead..what difference would that make?
    When I get a pattern like this,I want to throw it across the room!!

Wait till you get a pattern with 1/16". LOL

If you are making Half Square Triangles you can cut 4" then sew your
    HST's, press and trim to 3 1/2". If you don't like trimming then stick with 3 7/8".
    I prefer to cut bigger (where possible) and then trim.

Power Poster
    Some patterns really need the 7/8 for cutting but others you can square down from larger cuts. It usually happens when the unit is sewn and then sub cut and you need the 7/8 to end up with 1/4 seam allowance on both units.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you cut to 7/8" and you are a perfect sewer/presser, it is possible to end up with the correct size HST. However, many of us are not perfect and we prefer the option of cutting the starting square oversized and trimming it down.

I have a 7/8 ruler. All the markings are in 7/8. Super easy to cut those 7/8 sizes. Really though I don't see a difference in cutting fractions then cutting whole or half measures. It's just a different line on the ruler.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I've just finished piecing one with lots of 7/8' because of HST. One piece was given as a template because the measurement would have been 1 3/16'. I measured it and cut with a ruler instead.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    It's just a different line on the ruler.
    This is pretty much how I see it.....

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    with HST you certainly cut to 4" and then trim down. But if it's on other block units it might effect the pattern, like with points getting cut off. It really is just another line on the ruler.

Blog Entries
    i prefer cutting the next whole inch and trimming later also, for HSTs
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Have we understood the question in responding about hsts? If not, maybe a picture would help.
    Charlie DiSante

I found myself needing to cut many 7/8th" measures when I resized a block. It really did become just another line on the ruler and the block turned out exactly the size I wanted, which made the headache worthwhile. But HST's--I always add the extra 1/8th because I realized that my accuracy was hit and miss. Much easier to sew and trim.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

When it's "7/8", I go up to the next inch. When it's "3/8", I go up to the next 1/2, and so on. Then, depending on how the sewn piece is used, and how close I am to what's required, I trim as needed. Quilting is my stress relief, and I don't need to stress over "eighths".
    Leta in Upstate SC

Blog Entries
    i've done both and prefer to cut bigger then cut down. such a small difference in what i'm using, but i'd rather have it come out great the too small
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I will always square up to an even inch number and then trim where necessary. I admit it's frustrating getting a pattern with 7/8" on it, but there is always a way around it.

I also like to cut bigger & trim down to the size of the finished half square triangle. I'm not perfect with a 1/4" seam. I'm pretty good but not as perfect as I would like to be. I also agree with onebyone about the 7/8" just being another line on the ruler. That doesn't bother me at all

Blog Entries
    I an no pro at making quilt tops, and for sure I don't call myself a quilter. But I try, lol....many of you ladies are super and I rely on a lot of you for answers. I have learned a lot form you, what I would do here on the HST would be cut 4" sqs and them press and trim. Best way for me.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!