Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
About fabric ... >

About fabric ...

About fabric ...

Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
After reading a thread about WM fabric recently, I decided to go to my local store and see/touch for myself. Some was thin, not well woven etc, but some was good quality, similar to what I purchase at various LQS's. The difference was that it might cost 10-13$ yard at the quilt shop, but only 2-5$ at WM. I also recently visited my local HL and had the same experience, so given my recent experiences I've decided to keep an open mind to any and all fabrics.
Probably a good attitude for many things!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:16 AM

And your point is??????? In this day and age we are ALL looking to save $$$$$, Unfortunately it take s time and gas to " shop " for the best deals. I often do not drive all over to save $.50. Also value is in the eyes of the beholder!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:58 AM

Default About Fabric

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
And your point is??????? In this day and age we are ALL looking to save $$$$$, Unfortunately it take s time and gas to " shop " for the best deals. I often do not drive all over to save $.50. Also value is in the eyes of the beholder!
I have purchased a substantial amount of fabric at the local Wal-Mart. I check out the fabric -- does it feel nice, is it tightly woven, are there flaws in the fabric? Those are the things I look for, as well as other quality features. I have purchased one particular fabric at Wal-Mart for $5.44-$5.97 a yard, gone to JoAnn's, where the exact fabric was priced at $9.99 (or higher). Guess where I'm purchasing! I don't consider myself poverty stricken, but neither do I pay more than I have to, quality being equal.

Even George Younce, gospel base singer of the Cathedral Quartet, said "I live at Wal-Mart"! LOL

Jeanette Frantz
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 AM

I agree with everything you said. I am currently making a quilt out of vintage Cranston fabric bought at walmart, I am calling it a Walmart Christmas. Feel the fabric and buy the best you can afford.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I had no trouble, understanding her point. You're right, in that "value is in the eyes of the beholder" . . . so if a person feels better about him/herself by paying more for the same fabric, then that choice should be respected.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 AM

Extremely well put.

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
Just throwing this out for consideration as we all live in our own world.

Today, it isn't fair to make a generalization about a certain commodity carried in any store. With few exceptions, in my area anyway, there are no longer boutique stores that cater to the obliged. We live in the era of chain stores, further shackled by what they choose to buy, forcing us to either choose, make our own, or move to a nudist colony.

Be it Walmart, JoAnn's, Kohls, JC Penney's, or Macy's, none are really as good as they were 30+ years ago, or even 10 for that matter.

Even sadder, the phrase "you get what you pay for" is unrealistic because I have found fantastically woven fabric at WM for $3.44 a yard, and further seen this same fabric at Hobby Lobby (reasonably priced) and JoAnn's, extensively marked up. JoAnn's is not what it used to be and will never be as good as SoFro - now closed, but made mucho dinero off me in its heyday. Walmart does have more quality fabric than not. Hobby Lobby is consistently quality and selection and my local Ben Franklin shines in that department, changing their stock seasonally with fabrics from some of the best. LQS are competitive and offer beyond the standard and their prices reflect that, so I'm not even sure they're about fabric as much as status, but that's another topic.

My point is, the name of the brick and mortar doesn't matter any more. I've found some pretty cheap stuff everywhere, whether it be fabric or clothing, and will not allow myself to be pigeon-holed into a name. Macy's does not represent the commercials of the past and Kohls carries clothes I've seen at the mall. Even Marshall's carries the WM Levis Signature series jeans, so it all ends up in the "basement" stores, just disguised under non-basement store names.

So fellow fabric lovers and purchasers of all the same things, buy what you can and make (and wear and cook) what you love. Quality trumps price but you determine what both of those are.

Peace. And be happy. Enjoy your world. And sew forth.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 AM

When my DDs were in high school they wouldn't wear anything from K-Mart....now that they have their own kiddos....they shop Goodwill for clothes and shoes...most things still have price tags -- from Macy's, The Children's Place, Kohls, etc. I'm not a fabric snob, and I've been finding a lot of nice fabric at Walmart-- i.e. tone-on-tone background fabric the same exact bolts as at Jo-Ann's for $2/yrd cheaper and 1/2 the price of a LQS. It pays to shop around.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM

It took me a while to learn the "feel" of a high quality quilting cotton fabric. Once having learned that, I can buy with confidence and knowledge of what kind of fabric I'm purchasing. I do try to support my local quilt stores as they provide more than just fabric and I want to keep them in business. A large warehouse size shop near me buys the end runs of brand name fabrics which has a fantastic price, but the fabric is all flat fold and in big stacks so it is hard to see stuff other than what is on top.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 AM

If I find something I love at a high end store I buy it, the same goes for Wal Mart , Hobby Lobby. I have bought beautiful fabric from all those places. I gift all my quilts and I have never had anyone who got one of my quilts ask me where I bought the fabric. So I buy what I like no matter where I find it. I feel it is up to the person buying the fabric where they shop. Some of the most beautiful quilts I grew up with was made from feed and flour sacks. We lived in the country and my DD owned the general store, when he went to the ware house to buy for the store my mom went with him and chose the feed sacks for her chickens and flour sacks for home. My dresses and her quilts came from those sacks.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 AM

I am still confused especially about the phrase "there are no longer boutique stores that cater to the obliged". There was a time when Walmart was the ultimate shopping experience. But not today. They have limited selection of many things quality not with standing. I like many other try to shop sales. Not that I save $$$ but have more money to spend. I love my LQS but often can not afford fabric there due to price. I can (And do) go to Joanns and buy fabric which is on sale or with coupon.