Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: About those bags..

Blog Entries
    WARNING WARNING!!!

If you're saving things in garbage bags you can't see into - make certain to LABEL THE BAG - to no one throws it away without looking into it.

I've heard of horror stories of family quilts being thrown away by relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    The seal didn't hold for me either. And when they get all big again, they are realllly tight in the shelf so they're really hard to get out.
    Me, too. I stored sweaters in them in cabinet with adjustable shelves. They expanded and lifted the shelf above, making stuff on both shelves hard to remove.

I have bought STOR-IT bags at the Dollar Store. They are very durable but do not have a place to use the vacuum hose. There are 2 or 3 in a box depending on the size and they are only a dollar a box. I just squeeze the air from mine,maybe you could use the vaccum hose too? They are great for fabric storage and very inexpensive!

Blog Entries
    They make space bag brand bags that don't have the vacuum hole too. It says to roll them up from the end opposite the opening to get as much air out as possible, then seal. I think it's on bags that are smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by fmd36
    Considering buying those storage bags that you vaccum the air out of to flatten. Have heard the items inside come out with incredible wrinkles. I want to put polar fleece yardage inside to store...desperately need the room in closet. Any experiences or suggestions appreciated before I spend the $'s on these.
    Living in the northeast, I use them all the time to store seasonal clothes and winter blankets and coats. My only complaint is once in awhile I get one where the seal doesn't hold and it will slowly pop back up within 2030 minutes. So, when I purchase new ones, I save the packaging/ sales slip to return defective bag to the store to for replacements. Not had any trouble making exchange at local Wal-Mart when I explain the seal doesn't hold. And, this only happened twice in 5 years.

Here's another suggestion: Buy (or even better, make!) one of those large "nets" that are used in school gyms to hold basketballs, volley balls, etc.) and hang it from the ceiling in one corner of your sewing room. If you aren't familiar with these, they look basically like rope "hammocks" when they are hung from the ceiling. They would probably work well for holding fleece (which is bulky but not too heavy). ('Wish I had a picture to show you, as this might not make much sense unless you've actually seen one of these before.)

Blog Entries
    I don't like my fabric packed where I can't see what I have. I keep my fleece on shelves in a closet in my sewing room, keeps the dust and light off it. If you have too much to store that way (which I did) then it is time to start using it up. I made blankets for our Children's Hospital in Philadelphia.

I too used the Space Bags to change out winter/summer clothes. I will never use them again. I still have sweaters that have been washed, lightly tumbled in the dryer and ironed several times and the wrinkles will not come out. It seems a few months in s Space Bag ruined my good sweaters and a jacket. It is a space saver, but not a money saver when you have to throw out good clothes!

Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    I received a Space Bag sample to use. The vacuum didn't hold for me. It held for a while, but then seemed to lose it.

Just my 2 cents worth...YMMV.
    That was my experience, too. f I use the bags several times, the zipper would pop eventually, and the vaccuum would be gone. But, if I just use it once, it did OK.

I have bags that I switch out my summer/winter clothes each season to save space. They work great. Everything comes out fine. I think it depends on the brand you buy. Good Luck!!

I had the same experience with the Space Bags. They held for a while, but the seal slowly allowed the air back in.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has trouble with the space bags staying sealed. I bought a bunch when we moved to put comforters and large items in and none of them stayed sealed. I won't buy any more.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    They make space bag brand bags that don't have the vacuum hole too. It says to roll them up from the end opposite the opening to get as much air out as possible, then seal. I think it's on bags that are smaller.
    We LOVE these! They don't use a vacuum, you just roll to the end with the baffle that let's the air out. There is a ziploc style end where you put things in the bag. Come in different sizes. We find them at Target in the luggage dept. My exchange student took a huge stuffed caterpillar home in one. We use them for pillows to travel all the time.

I have Space Savers that didnt hold worth a hoot, but the one back I paid a lot for (single bag) has reinforced fabric sides, and has 8 pillows and some other stuff in it. Its been in the top of the closet for 3 years without expanding. Hmmmm. If I have not opened it for that long, suppose I could just give away the contents and keep the bag????? The only drawback to this bag is the weight; it holds so much stuff it probably weighs 30 lbs or more...

I have a bunch of them so far no trouble.

If you do decide to purchase, just know you can buy them at Bed Bath and Beyond... no shipping.

Blog Entries
    Space bags have saved my life so many times. I travel with them, store my quilts in them. I stores 25 yards if lace and netting for a school program came out great. I store feather pillows, 5 min and they are back.

I tried the vacuum bags and found that the seal across the bottom didn't hold and mine were very awkward to store. I'd go with the trash bag method. You could even roll the fabric and bag together to express the air and then seal it. I also use huge ziplock for this kind of thing, but they might not be big enough for your purposes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    You can also get the same affect with a trash bag. I am probably going to get in trouble saying that but I would just use a trash bag :) put your material in it and then tighten it up around the sucker portion to your vacuum. Then be sure to tie it tight and quickly before the air gets in. It works better if the bag isn't totally full.
    My husband did this for me when we moved and some of my fabric had to go into storage for a few weeks. He spent hours transferring the fabric into the bags and sucking all the air out and then tying it really tight with a zip tie. He actually went through alot more trouble than maybe I would have but it was awesome and my fabric was safe and dry.

Well, I was at BJ's and they had them for $9.00,,,,just grabbed them and didn't take a close look. Since there is a general concern about what will happen to b\fabric stored in them I have decided to put our blankets in them. They are old and if they change color I won't care and no one will see them. Thanks for all the input. I'll have DH putthem in the top shelf of the closet and wait and watch to see what happens. Thanks again...fmd36 in NH. PS the clerk at J's used all my cupons so I think I did OK. Gave the internet ones to the lady next in line. Does that qualify as paying it forward?

I agree, they do work great if there are no holes in them and they are sealed properly. I have used them when traveling and in my suitcase. They save a huge amount of space and unpacking is easier also. I have not had a wrinkling problem either. I love them!!! I also have a storage space problem and I can put clothes in them, take the air out and put them under my bed. I would hate to be without them.

Power Poster
    I have 4 right now that I am using and the vacuum does not stay sealed for me. I check to make sure I have done it correctly but after a while the vacuum seems to lose it. But the stuff is still stored in a bag which is helpful. I never find wrinkles even after I took things out when the vacuum was working.

Blog Entries
    I also love them. I've had no problem and have gotten them at various places. I've seen them at Dollar General also. Borrow 1 from a friend and then replace it if you like it. There you go no cost til tried and true.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    I received a Space Bag sample to use. The vacuum didn't hold for me. It held for a while, but then seemed to lose it.

Just my 2 cents worth...YMMV.
    Same here, They do not hold up for very long and I have tried on two difference times :-( it was not worth the money spent. :thumbdown:

Love 'em, love 'em!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast