Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Adding flannel backing to a denim quilt

Adding flannel backing to a denim quilt

Hello!

I browsed through the forums but couldn't find people discussing what to do if the denim quilt is already assembled. I want to add a flannel backing but I'm not sure how that is done. Do I just pin it and then quilt diagonally across the squares?

Hubby and I are moving to Seattle this weekend from hot, sunny Arizona. I can't wait to have a snuggly quilt to read or watch movies with!

Thanks for all of your help!
    ~Cassandra
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also, wanted to add that I haven't frayed the denim quilt yet, if that makes any difference. The flannel is already washed and ready to go though.

Thanks!

Cassandra, wow that sounds like quite an exciting move. Seattle is really beautiful in it's own wet way. I don't know how to help you out with your questions, sorry I have neve made a denim quilt but I love your questions and will watch for future responses.
    Good luck in Seattle!

What you are suggesting sounds workable, but obviously will come out a bit different from the ones where each square has both the denim and the flannel to fringe.

The one I made years ago I had the seams on the inside as I did not want it to fray.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I just did a queen size quilt that had old military uniforms on the top and flannel for the backing. I washed the flannel first then sandwich as usual and quilted SID vertically and horizontally. Top had held up to at least 3 washings already.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Evelyn, we are really excited! I can't wait to experience some cold weather. lol. I've never seen anyone else from Garland. My dad lives there now.

mom-6 - I don't mind it coming out different. The denim is all saved up from years of wearing jeans and jean skirts. And the flannel was 65% off at Joann. I consider it an experiment. Ha!

tngal22 - I'm glad to hear it worked for you! I'm trying to picture SID on my quilt and can't quite imagine it. We'll see what happens!

Most of the raggy/shaggy quilts I have seen have the flannel & denim squares sewn together with an X through each one and are then assembled into rows. The fringe is all on front. I have even seen them alternate the front/back blocks so it is not shaggy on one side and I have seen them shaggy on both sides using several layers of flannel with & without denim.
    Beverly