Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: advice for Japanese theme quilt.

I'd like to make a quilt for a dear friend who spent many years teaching English to adorable little school girls in Japan. I have some awesome Asian inspired fabrics but am wondering what to do next. Maybe a fan, or kimono? Maybe a combo of the two?

BTW Im really not into applique. I like pieced blocks only. Any suggestions?

I made one for a very dear Japanese friend, it had various different styles of kimonos, ginger jars, lanterns, and pagodas. The pagodas were the only blocks that didn't vary except in fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I made one for a very dear Japanese friend, it had various different styles of kimonos, ginger jars, lanterns, and pagodas. The pagodas were the only blocks that didn't vary except in fabrics.
    I was hoping that you would see this thread!!
    (me-thinks you should post a pic of your beautiful quilt!!!)

:)

QuiltE-thanks for thinking of me, so here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are some wonderful paperpieced Asian themed quilts. A couple years ago there was a seller on Ebay that sold genuine kimono silk/fabric. I bought some pieces for a kimono pattern I have. I still have to make it though

You might try here:
    http://www.cotton-picking.com/PaperP...ltPatterns.htm

Also, there are some lovely pieced quilts here:
    http://asianfabricsource.com/KonaBayPatterns.htm

That's lovely :)

How could I not think of you? Your quilt is amazing ... and to think it's all PPing too! :)

Wow Pocoellie, that is some quilt you got there! I love it, especially the lanterns!

Oh! I think I need help closing my mouth. That is so beautiful!! Perhaps I should read further, but is it all paper-pieced? Thank you for sharing this magnificent project with us. Edit: I just read further, and thanks for the links!

TonnieLoree-yes, it's all paper pieced, I worked on for 9 months, although I have enough left over to make another quilt, since when planning it, I hadn't planned on sashing.

TonnieLoree-yes, it's all paper pieced, I worked on for 9 months, although I have enough left over to make another quilt, since when planning it, I hadn't planned on sashing.
    Perfect! ... make one for yourself!! :)

Blog Entries
    Gee pocoellie I made a quilt close to yours! We should trade a few blocks! Or you could make me a lap quilt from leftovers! Lol Jk!

I'm making an Asian theme quilt for my daughter, using the Turning 20 pattern. Asian fabrics can be a little "busy" so instead of using 20 different fat quarters, I'm using six main fabrics which makes the quilt look less busy and a little more cohesive.

That's a lovely quilt, great for inspiration. Have fun with your Japanese theme.

QuiltE- So far I don't have a quilt for myself. LOL I'm working on one though, for me, I'm in the process of trying to quilt it, but then had to stop for the stupid broken leg, so it's still not done. Maybe by June. LOL

Painiacs-I'll send you what's leftover if you want.

I am currently working on an Asian themed quilt that is a take off a quilt I saw at Bennington quiltfest last year. Here is a link to pictures, it is the 16th quilt picture. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65580-1.htm

It was all different Asian print fabrics cut in a circle and appliqued onto varying shades of beige background. Very simple easy applique. Because I don't have a pattern of any sort I am winging it. I am appliqueing 5" circles on 6 1/2" unfinished squares but I am setting mine on point. It is handwork so going slow. I know you mentioned you didn't like applque so maybe you can modify so it is a square in a square or square with a shadow behind it like this quilt done in rectangles. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119660-1.htm

Pocoellie, your quilt is just beautiful! If you have lots of fab left you should make yourself one too!

[quote=feline fanatic]I am currently working on an Asian themed quilt that is a take off a quilt I saw at Bennington quiltfest last year. Here is a link to pictures, it is the 16th quilt picture. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65580-1.htm

I love that quilt and the idea! If I have enough Asian fabric left over from my daughter's quilt, I may give that quilt a try. I'm Chinese so you'd think I would have tons of Asian fabrics, but nope, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    I am currently working on an Asian themed quilt that is a take off a quilt I saw at Bennington quiltfest last year. Here is a link to pictures, it is the 16th quilt picture. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65580-1.htm

It was all different Asian print fabrics cut in a circle and appliqued onto varying shades of beige background. Very simple easy applique. Because I don't have a pattern of any sort I am winging it. I am appliqueing 5" circles on 6 1/2" unfinished squares but I am setting mine on point. It is handwork so going slow. I know you mentioned you didn't like applque so maybe you can modify so it is a square in a square or square with a shadow behind it like this quilt done in rectangles. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119660-1.htm

Pocoellie, your quilt is just beautiful! If you have lots of fab left you should make yourself one too!
    The circles are gorgeous! I guess I could machine applique the circles down. I'm just more of an immediate-satisfaction quilter. I do not have the patience for all the curly swirly applique stuff.

QuiltE- So far I don't have a quilt for myself. LOL I'm working on one though, for me, I'm in the process of trying to quilt it, but then had to stop for the stupid broken leg, so it's still not done. Maybe by June. LOL

Painiacs-I'll send you what's leftover if you want.
    tsk tsk ... time to keep one for YOU!
    Maybe you two should do a split of your reserves and then do a creation to compare!

Blog Entries
    http://www.shiboridragon.com/
    or just a quilt with the lantern block would be lovely in the fabrics you have.