Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Advice on Machine Values - Aberdeen Scotland

Advice on Machine Values - Aberdeen Scotland

Hi Ladies and Gents. I have need to de-clutter and sell on machines I never use

Husquvarna Quilt 983 - i think that's the right model. Used for 5 months when I moved onto a Janome 12000. This is all boxed up just wasted.

Singer Featherweight 222K - in pristine condition with full accessories and carry case. Been owned by the same family since purchased. Has had some light use. Been serviced.

Singer 221K - centenary edition. Was a gift bought from Canada by a generous relative. Arrived newly serviced but had a really foul smell. The carry case was dismantled as i tried to get rid of the stench which i found quite nauseating. I have cleaned up the machine and after several weeks enclosed in a sealed bag with coffee granules etc the smell surrounding the machine has gone.

A Babylock embellisher with carry case. Used twice. Dont think im creative enough to make anything with it. Been bagged up and stored since first week i got it.

I've never sold on anything before and i would appreciate any advice aboutv what would be a reasonable price to sell these on for.

Thank you. Any input appreciated.
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 04-11-2019 at 04:04 AM.

I would go to ebay and type in your models to see what they are selling for
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Checking the items that have actually sold will give you a good idea of what they are selling for on eBay. If you are going to sell them locally, you could probably check on Craig's List of whatever local equivalent of that you have and get an idea.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    When you look for those sales on ebay, you want to see what machines actually sold for, not what the owners expected to get for them and listed them for. To do that, instead of putting the name of the machine into the search bar, in small print to the right of the search bar, you'll see "advanced search'. Click on that instead, and a page will come up with a search bar at the top for you to enter the item. Below that on the page there are all kinds of options to limit your search, and the one you want to click is called "completed sales", or "completed listings", something like that. (I haven't been on ebay in awhile, I forget exactly what it is called.) On that page you can restrict your search to sellers who live within a certain number of miles from your location, you can restrict the search to items only sold as a Buy It Now item, all kinds of choices for you to tailor your search so your list that comes up isn't polluted with tons of listings that are not pertinent to what you need to see. You still need to read the original listings, though, because you want to see sale prices of items most closely like yours in terms of condition, age, accessories included, etc. Sometimes when you read the original ads you find out an item that initially looks exactly like what you have turns out to be much more or much less valuable than yours.

What is your mental outlook on declutterring? By that I mean, are you hoping/planning to make a killing? Or recognizing you have gotten your money's worth out of all the machines and letting them go to another stitcher, no strings attached

The little Sngers were made in Kilbowie, Clydebank, even after all this time they may be readily available to stitchers there where they are more uncommon here, so less dollar value, but more sentimental value?
    We can find them here when lucky for $25.00 sometimes, the general pricing runs 350.-400.00. Maybe place an add for $250.00 in the Pound equivalent?

Selling online means shipping which when done well is satisfactory but takes a lot of time to do right.
    Let us know what you decide and the outcome, Lots of decluttering/downsizing goes on here and we take inspiration from other's successes.

I would go to my local sewing machine store and ask if they would sell the machines on consignment or outright buy them from you. You won’t get a high price for them, but it will be a simple sale with no hassle. Also, if you belong to a quilt guild, you might inquire to see if other members might be interested.

The 222 would be worth a lot though.

Omg, I've seen 222's go for a lot on Ebay!!!

How old is your Husqvarna? Doesn’t seem to be a current model, so that would dictate how much you would get for it. 222k I paid 90 for mine on eBay, fully working recently serviced and decals in good shape.

Thanks for the advice. I've had a singer expert look over/service the 222K. He has indicated a price which reflects its mint condition. I wont cry if it doesnt go for that sum. I mean i wont be gutted if its still in my sewing room a year hence ��. The 221K centenary edition i feel bad about. It was bought from a seller in Canada as a gift. It was serviced but body work is poor condition compared to the 222k. Shame as i know quite a bit of money was spent on it. Had to strip the case right back to the bare bones as it stunk to high heaven. Machine is fine now thankfully. I couldnt tolerate that smell in my home. HV is 4 years old and 1200 to buy. Would it be reasonable to expect half the price i paid for it? Embellesher is 2. 5 years old and been used twice. Not for me though i love the idea of it. Im not looking to making a killing or take advantage of anyone. By the same token Im not prepared to allow anyone else to take advantage of me. I think the 222K is the only one which i would be thrawn about not selling on for less than its value. Ive actually had someone trying to buy it to ship out to US. Lol i turned the offer down as i strongly suspect it was someone trying to make a profit by selling it on. Chancer! Still havent got round to advertising all the machines. I will soon.

First of my machines has been bought. A lady in Malaysia has bought the 222K for asking price. Went to check on the ad this morning and really thought I had done something wrong listing it yesterday afternoon. Digging deeper came across it in my account with ‘paid’ stamped across it. That was my first listing so kind of glad it has so far gone smoothly.

Blog Entries
    that is wonderful!!! i am about to try ebay for some designer handbags I have but never ever use. Wish you more luck on the others if you list more.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

If you have other free sites - we have Gumtree in UK - might be worth your while trying there first. Ebay takes its share as does paypal. On high value items it can eat into your funds. I had a further offer for my machine on our local gumtree but was too late as i had already commited to the Malaysian lady. She is an embroidery designer. Got a nice vibe from her. I think she will appreciate what she has bought.