Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice for me as I start my first bargello quilt? >

Advice for me as I start my first bargello quilt?

Advice for me as I start my first bargello quilt?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Thank you all so much! I can't wait to get started, scared though I am... If I can figure out what fabric I want, I would go for it, but I am still working on that.

My pattern suggests batiks. Is that the best way to go?

Dina
Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Thank you all so much! I can't wait to get started, scared though I am... If I can figure out what fabric I want, I would go for it, but I am still working on that.

My pattern suggests batiks. Is that the best way to go?

Dina
If you do select batiks.. pick ones that the color dispersements are not too big and blotchy . You want smaller scale colors , they will blend better. I also avoid the ones that read as solid colors, no blending. When I select fabrics for bargello I stack up the bolts on a table and stand back about 10 feet , you will see the progression of colors better from a distance. I also buy 2 extra colors , as some never make the final cut. If you like what you see when you stack your fabrics... take a photo, in color..or as they are getting cut number them right there in the store.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

I love making bargello quilts- my favorite pattern ever- nothing to be afraid of- they are not difficult- just stay 'organized' I use post-it flags to number each fabric- then to number my strip set (strips) as I cut them & lay them side by side- also, make a *map* by cutting a strip (I generally use about a 1/2" x 1 or 1 1/2" piece of each fabric) glued to a piece of fabric with it's corresponding number- so as you open your strips you can easily look at your map & see which fabrics you are opening between. as long as you keep your strips in order you will find them to be not difficult at all.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:22 AM

A few years ago I went on a retreat and did a bargello quilt that came from Ricky Timms. Unfortunately, Due to shortage of time, all the pieces had been cut out for us ready to sew so I can't remember much about it. Almost seemed like a production line! Now I feel I must look into this once again as there are some awesome patterns out there. Good luck in your quest and I am sure the outcome will be great.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

First-be happy with the layout of your fabrics. I cut a strip of each color (width depends on the pattern) and butt them up against one another and so you can look at it and choose if you are pleased with the results. Post a picture here if you want our opinions. Don't rush this part. If you change your mind (which I DID on my Island Sunset), it is a very difficult to make the change working with such small pieces.

I find it important to label my rows. Do it the same as the design chart. Depending on how complex the pattern you have selected, you may be attaching many small pieces to that anchor strip.

Made a copy of the design chart. I would make a small check when I completed a section. To me, I call a section a group of value of the same color. I actually sewed them in these sections and found it easier to piece the quilt in smaller sections. I was amazed how many times I referred to that as my guide.

Have your seam ripper available at all times. You may be dropping a fabric from the strip more often then with a normal quilt pattern.

Take your time and be patient. If you find yourself rushing, take a time out and walk away. Come back after a cup of tea when you are ready to start to tackle the complexity of this quilt.

I have done the Aurora Borealis, Island Sunset and two Bargello Table runner. I have posted these pictures on this board. I have pulled fabric to do the Surf Song but want to make it smaller quilt then instructions are for. Eileen told me she had put another layout in her new book but haven't had the chance to purchase that one yet.

Good luck and please keep in contact with us. WE are always happy to assist you thru this process. Just look at it like cocking. There are easy recipes but then there are more complicated recipes. GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Smile Bargello photos

Hee are my photos....
Attached Thumbnails bargello-browns.jpg   sunset-layout.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 04:20 AM

Take the instructions in before you start and go very slowly. Never cut or sew unless you are positive.
The quilt will be wonderful and you will enjoy the next one even more.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:38 AM

Again, thanks for all the help! This advice is wonderful. I am feeling positive about all of the steps now, except for the cutting. According to the pattern, after I have the strip sets sewn, I will be cutting into strips from two inches wide all the way down to one inch. This is where I am currently concerned. I have a great deal of trouble cutting straight lines. I don't know if this is because of my macular degeneration (I don't really see straight lines) or if I am just a timid cutter.

Right now I rely on my June Taylor Shape Cut rulers. So far I have been able to make about any pattern using these rulers. (I just completed my 68th quilt. I have been sewing 4 years...and yes, I know I am a serial quilter.) I am wondering if I will be able to fold one of the strip sets small enough and then will I be able to cut through them? Can you understand what I am saying? I can easily cut through four layers, but the seam may be tricky.

I suspect I need to just get started and see how it works. I am currently thinking of using fabric from my stash and, if I am successful at this, then purchase the beautiful batiks that I have not allowed myself before.

There may be pictures following later, whenI get my fabric narrowed down. Right now I am thinking of blue and blue-green though I would love to do blue and purple.

Thanks again everyone!!

Dina
Old 11-21-2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Hee are my photos....
Oh, ManiacQuilter!!!! Thanks for the pictures! They help a lot and I LOVE your quilt!

Dina
Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 AM

I am working on my first Bargello right now. ( Mystic Nights) My strips are cut 1 1/2 inches, the pattern says to make sure you do a precise 1/4 in. Also if you are sewing strips together to make large fabric panels, after you sew your first 2 strips together, you need to sew the third strip starting at the opposite end, and continue doing that till panel is made, otherwise your finished piece of fabric will be all wonky.