Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed on Yo-yo Quilt

Advice Needed on Yo-yo Quilt

I acquired a yoyo quilt, and it does not have a backing. It seems to me that to be at all practical, the yoyo top should be fastened in some way to a back. Even lifting the yoyo quilt as it is now seems risky, since it puts so much stress on the connecting threads.

What has been your experience with this? If I were to choose to use a backing, what are the possible techniques for attaching? Should connections be at every yoyo? Attach at the natural connection points where yoyo's meet each other or in the centers of the yoyo's?

The Bible Camp is interested in this being a possible raffle quilt, but only if it has a back. I need help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    beautiful yoyos, sorry no experience
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

It'a a beautiful quilt. Hopefully, other posters can help you with finishing it.

I have two yo yo tops gifted to me. They have no backing and I am not sure what to do with them.
    I will be anxious to see what answers you get

Blog Entries
    I have seen a couple with backing, but most of the ones I've seen are without. I think they were used like a lace coverlet, not for warmth or to actually sleep under, but just for decoration.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    nor me but my avatar picture is me on one! openings and all. no idea who made it though. i know lots of people make yo-yo's without backings.

No experience with yoyo quilts. Seems to me the joining of them should be secured, Then I would tie it to a back very close and cut the tails somewhat short.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I will be watching this thread, as I was given a small yo-yo quilt to finish, & really don't know what to do with it. It's only cot size, but so heavy I don't like to add more to it - the puffs are made with curtain/upholstery fabrics. The maker zig-zagged the puffs together and to the backing (calico, of all things). Maybe I will just put a binding on & call it done.

Perhaps you could attach to a backing with some back stitches by hand to help stabilize.
    Last edited by Gay; 06-04-2018 at 03:57 PM.

I am sorry if this is an uninformed question, but it appears to me that you have the yo-yo top spread out on a blue fabric that you are thinking of backing it with. Am I correct? I like your choice of blue fabric. If it were mine, I would tack it to the blue fabric in a perle cotton in the open triangles just the same color as the blue backing fabric, catching under the edges of the yo-yos. Maybe the centers would look better, but I am thinking it would be harder. I would experiment. I know it will be heavy and unwieldy, but worth it. How nice it would be if a group of you from the Bible Camp worked together. Many hands and laps would support the weight and it should be a fun social gathering. If I have misunderstood and the yo-yos are already attached to the blue fabric, I would just bind it as is.
    Last edited by Genden; 06-04-2018 at 04:04 PM.

I remember seeing one in a quilting magazine many many years ago. It had a backing and each yo-yo was anchored to the backing. Guess you could machine tack them.?.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Genden,
    You are correct in that the yoyos are not attached to the blue fabric, but incorrect about the blue fabric being my choice for the project. Actually that blue is a sheet that I put over the bed in the guest room as a temporary dust cover to protect the quilts underneath.

I agree though that the color looks nice. My mother has pointed out that a sheet would be heavier than fabric for a backing. That could be a factor, since the yoyo top is already heavy. I do have yardage in a soft pink color, and I think I will audition it under the yoyo's.

I would enjoy working with other Bible camp quilt supporters, but I live 1400 miles away from them. The auction is where I grew up. I go back most years to be at the auction, and I always have several quilts donated. It is a wonderful event.

The yo-yo quilts that I inherited from my grandmother (1940's?) did not have backings. I believe they were made to lay on top of the top sheet on a bed. This would then allow the sheet to peek through the areas between the yo-yo patches. From what I have heard, yo-yo quilts were purely decorative and usually not used as a blanket.

Of course, you can do whatever you want with your yo-yo quilt - it is your quilt. I like the blue backing (I know it was a sheet on your bed, but it looks good!). I don't have any idea how you would attach the top to the backing. I have seen sheets used as backings (many QB folks use them) but I don't believe they are any "heavier" in weight than yardage. I may be wrong about this.

Good luck with what you decide! I love yo-you quilts and is on my "bucket list" to make.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

We had a lady in our guild that we called the YoYo Queen. She gave a little program about YoYo quilts one time. They aren't really quilts like top, batting, and batting. They were used as summer quilts, just put over the sheet for decoration. She did tells us that sometimes they would sew the yoyos to a sheet. It would keep them from being pulled apart by accident. I'm like ILOVEToQuilt Anita a sheet really isn't any heavier than yardage.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

It's a beautiful yo-yo quilt.
    I don't think a sheet would be any heavier than fabric that is sewed together to make it wide enough for a backing.
    Whichever you choose, for me, I would tack each and every yo-yo down. My machine has a tack stitch. A blending color of thread like off white, beige, light gray should work fine. Since each is attached to the other, how about tacking them right in the center hole area.
    After all that, how are you going to bind the quilt?
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Blog Entries
    That is a really beautiful yo-yo quilt!

I would probably hand tack the yo-yo top to a sheet. The sheet would need to be a low thread count (or an older, used, lightweight sheet) to make hand sewing through it easier. High thread count sheets can be hard to hand sew. It would be fairly easy to hide a thread knot in a yo-yo, tack down the yo-yo, then carry the thread through a yo-yo to the next tack. You wouldn't necessarily have to tack every yo-yo down, as tacks every 6" or so would be enough to relieve stress on the yo-yo joins; however, it would probably be pretty easy to tack every yo-yo join since they seem to be joined in rows. I would not go through the centers. It would be easier to just tack at the joins.

While machine tacking seems like it would be faster, I think it would not look as good and -- because you would have to cut threads on both top and backing side between each tack -- would actually be more work and possibly provide less stability (since once you cut the threads, some tacks might eventually unravel). It seems to me hand sewing would be fairly easy to do in front of the tv.

The trickiest part for me would be basting the yo-yo top to the sheet, as you don't want anything to shift while you are tacking it down. Basting spray would not be a good idea if hand sewing because it creates way too much drag on the needle. You might actually need to hand baste the top to the sheet before doing the hand tacking.

Binding could be a problem. I think I would just machine hem the sheet all around about an inch away from the yo-yo edges, and then turn the sheet under to create a straight edge and hand baste the yo-yo edge to it.

Blog Entries
    Have you done a youtube search on 'finishing a yo-yo quilt' just to see if you get any hits? Would maybe find out what other quilters considering 'finishing'. Or a google search.
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

Both my dgm and dggm had yoyo coverlets they used over colored sheets on their beds in the summer. I have seen many yoyo tops but never one with a back. Sorry no help here but the top you have is beautiful. Brenda

I guess it depends on the weight of the quilt, but I have seen very effective displays of yo yo quilts hanging on walls. The color of the wall peeks through, so you may need to paint before hanging. My divorce attorney (!) had a lovely one hanging on a brick wall which added warmth to her office. I wouldn't try to make a bed quilt out of a yo yo quilt. It's meant to be lacy and light.

That's a beautifully made yo-yo quilt. I've never seen them with backings. I think they were meant to be more decorative than anything else.

I agree with everything prism said, except I would do the tacking inside the hole created by the gathering. I'd tack it somewhat like sewing on a button but the stitches would be hidden inside the hole. This is such a pretty creation. Glad you are going to finish the project. And, yes, to the blue sheet or yardage as backing.

Yo yo

Usually no back.

I would do nothing to that lovely yo-yo coverlet! Offer it for auction as is....

This is a very interesting thread.

I have two yo yo quilts and there is no backing. I have a white spread on my bed and I put the yo-yo on top and it looks great. Yes, they are delicate but so far, mine work great. From what I’ve read, there never is a backing, but I guess you could put one on if you figure out how to do it.

The auction committee is interested in using the yoyo quilt for their annual raffle, which is part of the auction fundraiser. Since they take the raffle quilts to various places for temporary display, that may be why they want it backed (due to extra handling and possible hanging).

I appreciate everyone's comments. I think I can tackle putting a back on this yoyo quilt. I volunteer at our university museum, mostly sewing on hanging sleeves, but I have also worked on mending two yoyo quilts. That experience tells me that I would like to make this one as durable as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast