Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please - Snaps and snap tools >

Advice please - Snaps and snap tools

Advice please - Snaps and snap tools

Old 10-22-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Why not use a button? It would be functional and could be pretty with the right buttons. If you go with a snap, you should use the heavy duty ones because of the layers you described. But, if there are that many layers, it could fail and have the snap fall off or fabric ooze out from the fabric being so thick.
I do like buttons. I guess I leaned towards snaps because I like to make one project, finish it completely, then move on to the next one. I am using my avatar and it's a pain to hook up the buttonhole attachment. (It takes like 2 minutes really, but it seems like a pain.) If I made the bags assembly line style and did all the button holes at the same time that would work. It's just different from my normal way of working. I may do some that way.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:01 PM

I ordered the Kamsnaps. They will be here Monday. I'm excited to try them. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
I'm thinking now that it would be nice to be able to put a snap at the top of a tote bag too. Not for seniors, just for anyone.
There are magnetic snaps that I use for tote bags. There's easy to put on and work really well.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:45 PM

Thanks. I'll check them out. I've seen them in store bought bags but have not looked into installing them myself.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

I have the Kam Snaps bench press. I put snaps on lots of stuff. You can get KAM snaps with long prongs for thick items or several layers of fabric. I use size 20 mostly. I've used 22s on a couple projects, but probably could have just used the 20s. It does take a bit of effort to install the snaps. I have the bench press, I think I would order the base for a hand press so you can really bear down when installing
Old 10-22-2016, 04:19 PM

I will keep that in mind Paper Princess in case I have difficulty with the hand press.

I checked out the company web site and they even have instructions to build your own base. How nice of them.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:12 AM

I really like the magnetic snaps. They're easy to install and
work well. I think you can get decorative ones too.

Last edited by janjanq; 10-23-2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:37 AM

Check out Snapsource online. They have great snaps and snap setters.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:05 AM

I used Velcro to attach the straps around the front bar of my Mom's "purse style" bag, then a magnetic snap for closure. Since you are making in bulk, I would go with something cheaper for a closure, or not at all if they are just used for Kleenex and chap stick. My suggestion is to make them in a variety of readily recognizable colors or patterns. If you have ever spent much time in an assisted or nursing home, and there is a gathering of people or even in the dining room, it is like a parking lot of walkers! Mom always appreciated being able to locate hers by the bag ! No advice on the snaps but just looked at Kamsnaps site and it looks amazing.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
My suggestion is to make them in a variety of readily recognizable colors or patterns. If you have ever spent much time in an assisted or nursing home, and there is a gathering of people or even in the dining room, it is like a parking lot of walkers! Mom always appreciated being able to locate hers by the bag ! No advice on the snaps but just looked at Kamsnaps site and it looks amazing.
Thanks. That's a great idea and easy for me to do.