Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please! >

Advice please!

Advice please!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie
It's possible to I wasn't leaving 1/4 inch of fabric at the ends to help make the points, I was trimming down the fabric before sewing it together, then trying to line the seams up.
Why were you trimming the fabric? Was the unit bigger then it should have been?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Thank you Carol :)
Old 01-31-2010, 03:50 PM

This is NOT a criticism! I've never done a pinwheel quilt ... probably not even a pinwheel block, but I notice that in each of your 4 blocks, you have the smaller triangles reversed on the right sides to what they are on the left sides. Is that how they are supposed to be? (This is a serious question I'm asking; I genuinely do not know.) In other words, do you have one of the halves of each pinwheel block upside down?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:51 PM

I don't know honestly, I just put the blocks together the way I thought they would look nice with the colors I was using, Im not sure if they should be reversed or not...It could have been done wrong...I wasn't following a pattern.
I was trimming the blocks because some where in my mind, I wasn't thinking I needed 1/4 at the end of the block to match the points, I was thinking get the points to the end of the fabric, then match the tips then...
Old 01-31-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie
I don't know honestly, I just put the blocks together the way I thought they would look nice with the colors I was using, Im not sure if they should be reversed or not...It could have been done wrong...I wasn't following a pattern.
I was trimming the blocks because some where in my mind, I wasn't thinking I needed 1/4 at the end of the block to match the points, I was thinking get the points to the end of the fabric, then match the tips then...
I'm pretty sure they are wrong. For example in block #1, you should have either all the gray blocks toward the center OR all the very light blocks toward the center, whereas you have 2 done one way and 2 the other. Same situation in the other 3 blocks.

I keep looking at them and I think you can salvage them if you take them apart and put them back together again, all going in the correct direction. If you press your seams to the dark larger triangle, make sure you save your final seam (sewing the two sides together) where the top seam allowance is facing toward your presser foot and the bottom seam allowance will then be facing you, so that the top and bottom seam allowances will "nest" or butt up against each other. When you can do that, you usually get a perfect point. BUT, it is important in what order you sew your blocks together. I know this may make no sense to you, but the order in which you sew your 4 sections together is important.