Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: AFTER the bleeding :(

AFTER the bleeding :(

OK...I have done a search and read several threads about pre-washing, Retayne, and Synthrapol....But what about if the bleeding already happened? Ugh. Blue onto a white-on-white.

Back story: this was a block exchange I participated in 16 years ago. May never do one again...can't be sure about fabric quality, sewing quality, and certainly not block size. Quilt is put together, quilted by LAQ, bound, and I washed it....ugh. Bleeding on one block from blue to white.

Mind you, I am not a die-hard pre-washer. But I buy good quality fabric. But not sure if I could have pre-washed the pieced blocks I received in the exchange.

Ugh. Any ideas to get the blue out? It was to be a donation quilt for wounded warriors or soldier's families.

I will be watching this thread for answers because this has happened to me as well. I am so sorry about your quilt and I hope that you can get the bleed out. Gina

Did you already dry it? I hope not. I use color catchers when I wash new quilts and clothes. There are a couple of brands out there.

Blog Entries
    I just did one that bled a bit and I had 2 or 3 color catchers in it. It was a gift, so I hoped I could get it out. I rewashed it with a few more color catchers and it came out. I know the products you mentioned are recommended, but I don't know which to use when.

By the way, even good fabric bleeds...which is one reason I pre-wash whenever I can.

If you didn't dry it use Synthrapol and color catchers. If is is already dried the dye is probably set
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

It got dried before I noticed it. Did not use any products other than mild detergent with the first wash, then it was dried, then I washed again. It actually looks worse after the 2nd wash. crud. I didn't put all that work and money (LAQ) into this to throw it away. But I hate to donate it with the bad block. Mind you, just one block out of 50 bled. So any of you who participate in an exchange...wash your fabric and don't pass along problems to someone else!

I had one fabric that was a red & white so I knew it had to be washed first. Took it out and put it in the dryer before my mom noticed it had bled. We washed it again about 6 times with color catchers before it finally came out, but it did come out.

If they are older fabrics, the bleeding may wash out with a cup of vinegar.

Blog Entries
    is there a way to applique a new block over the original. then, of course, you'd have to duplicate the quilting.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    synthropol keeps dyes suspended in the water- so they don't 'bleed' onto other fabrics- so wash with synthropol- color catchers help grab the dye too...but the synthropol should help you to wash away the fugitive dye & keep it from getting on other parts of the quilt- it is important to follow the instructions- and don't dry (or heat-set) the dyes before you have removed all the fugitive dye. you may be able to (pre-treat) the area that is 'stained' by using a product just on that section (like shout or oxyclean) ... color catchers work well too if you can't find synthropol-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I agree with QuiltnNan, applique to the rescue. You may have to add some applique to several blocks to balance the look, but do not give up on the quilt.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Geez. I thought you were bleeding from a rotary cutter accident

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    Geez. I thought you were bleeding from a rotary cutter accident
    Oh, no....did that 2 years ago. 3 stitches. LOL

I'll keep working with it. With the LAQ, any large applique would be difficult. If I can't spot-clean it and reduce it, I may try a bit of embroidery over it.
    Thanks for all the input. Should have used a color catcher, but I didn't. I will for my next quilt that was also a block exchange and has bright blue near white.

Try WINK stain remover. It is expensive and hard to find but it got grape juice out of my daughters quilt- even after it was dried.

I highly recommend the Shout Color Catchers! I had a red/white table runner that was a mess! Re washed with 3 color catchers not a spot of red on the white!!
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

Blog Entries
    Synthrapol should remove the bleed even if it has dried. Most dyes used commercially these days are set chemically, not by heat. Synthrapol does require lots of hot water, and you might have to use it several times, but I have seen it work to remove bleeds. Just be aware that domestic front loaders do not use enough water; you really need either a domestic top-loader or a laundromat front-loader to get enough water and the water needs to be HOT.

Blog Entries
    I'd soak just the offending area in Oxiclean and then wash it with Color Catchers.

I once had a red blouse bleed onto other laundry. Liquid Clorox 2 used as a pre-treatment removed it. Could be worth a try.

Blog Entries
    Just saw a product in the supermarket the other day that seemed to be for this problem specifically. I didn't take note of the name but will check it out over the weekend.

If you haven't dried it, wash in warm water, detergent and ammonia.

I am so sorry this happened to you; that's a sinking feeling when you discover a bleed!!! A similar incident with hunter green/cream fabrics turned me into a rabid pre-washer. Others have mentioned using the best fabrics---here is a photo of a tub of water used to pre-soak black MODA fabric.

Good luck in your efforts to remove the bleed, and be sure to let us know the outcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reading suggestions...and all good but did NOT work for me...I used blue chalk pounce and it did NOT come out. The company making the pounce/chalk suggested using vinegar which set the blue dye even more on my white quilt...ugh! She had me send the chalk and pounce back and never even replaced the $13 pounce. Tacky, at best.
    I tried EVERYTHING...Synthropol, Retayne, Grandmas Stain remover, etc, etc.. Got a nod from a quilt restorer on what would work
    WHAT WORKED: Washed in oxyiclean and did not rinse well, put some oxyiclean light paste that I made up over the worst of the areas, then put is out in the sun on thick grass...some air underneath... several hours....then washed again and did not machine dry. I did this a couple of times and it was almost completely out. Then I started using it (instead of a wall hanging) as a table cloth on my breakfast table and found that after several more washings (no heat dry), the blue chalk from the pounce was completely gone... I can now machine dry.

how about a color catcher?

If all else fails, rather than applique over it, what about taking fabric markers and turn the stained fabric into a print. Use a fabric marker of a similar color as the stain and make something simple like three dots in a triangle shape (one dot on each point of an imaginary triangle) scattered over the patch. The stain can then become part of the fabric. And it if washes out over time, the dots won't look like a mistake. I love fabric markers for covering up boo-boos! :-)
    Thimble and Thread

OMG...it keeps going from bad to worse! I turned the quilt over (the back is red/white/blue broad stripes with stars) and there are several areas (not just from the one bad block) where stuff bled through to the back! Will prob never do a block exchange again! I got some of the blue bleed out of the front with Oxi-Clean, and am going to try to wash again with a color catcher.

I think the ultimate solution is going to be....since I have 2 similar quilts, but the other didn't have the bleeding issues (50 states block exchange--25 blocks in each quilt) ...is to take the label off of the other non-bleeder, and donate that one. Then put the label on the bled quilt and give it to my friend, who hopefully will understand the imperfections. He isn't expecting a quilt gift anyway, and hopefully will appreciate the gesture, rather than my donating a damaged quilt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast