Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All I Want For Christmas

Blog Entries
    I have been a quilting addict now for over ten years (as an amateur you understand) so when my children ask me what I want for Christmas, why do they raise their eyebrows and pull faces when I say, a couple of fat quarters or some fancy threads would be nice? They then go away and spend oodles of cash on something that they consider to be what I need. I don't want them to spend loads on me, but I really really would love a few surprise FQs or a a selection of fusibles, or other fancy notion that we quilters can never have enough of. I feel like sending out a "wish List" to each of them, but then they will just add it to whatever they have already decided upon, so doubling the expense. It is so exasperating!!!

Blog Entries
    I understand completely! I'd love a handful of fancy threads or other quilting stuff for Christmas! I'd love to get things I wouldn't ordinarily splurge on. I keep saying I'd love a gift certificate for the quilt shop, but they like to have something for me to open. It could be hard for a non-quilter to select stuff...but a wish list would help them.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is exactly why adults in our family no longer exchange gifts. Everyone's tastes are so different. We are scattered all over. It's hard to know what someone has or wants. Christmas is for kids only in our family. It really has taken the stress out of the holiday.

Blog Entries
    My hubby has asked me what I want, and I listed a few books, tools etc. But told him what I would really want is a gift certificate to my LQS. He kinda scrunched his nose too. Then I explained some projects that I want to do, and that I won't really have the money for them out of my monthly allowance. I said that I really enjoy quilting and even though I won't be keeping what I make, it really makes me happy. I think he understood, I know that he is thinking of a GC now, becuase he said he couldn't find them online. Maybe we just all need to explain why these things thrill us so much. We probably won't convert all our family, but could sway a few!

Banned
    All I want is my own fabric shop!! Is that asking too much?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    I usually send my hubby an email with links to what I want.

Where do I find the link to add your wish to my wish list?

LOL I love it! It isn't fair to crack me up at work!

Blog Entries
    LMBO marsye :wink: wouldn't that be fun!!!

Is it because nonquilters think of sewing as a chore? We can buy for "their" hobbys and that is ok, but they don't think of quilting as ours?

Blog Entries
    Maybe you will find them discounted on a after Christmas sale? Or ebay? Half.com? I hope you do not have to wait that long for them Loretta!!!

Now that would make us all happy!!!!!

Banned
    I'll share if it happens! But don't hold your breath!

Blog Entries
    Absolutely perfect! Can we all work in it? No salary - just discounts to feed our adictions!

Oh, my goodness... does no one listen!?!? Same thing has happened to me - YEARS ago I wanted a mother's ring - not NOW - my dd spent WAY TOO MUCH money on necklace for me with her/siblings birthstones in it - I will treasure it but would liked to have had the money towards a quilting machine/frame - that coupled with the necklace my dh bought me for Mother's Day this year (I did NOT ask for it) would've paid for half the ensemble!!! EGAD!!! I had the other half saved up!!! Madness, I say, madness!!! I'm asking for nothing this year as they don't listen to me anyways...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    Madness, I say, madness!!! I'm asking for nothing this year as they don't listen to me anyways...
    This is getting funnier all the time!!!

I, too, like the idea of having my own quilt store, but only if I have plenty of help so I don't actually have to do anything except stroke the fabric and do my own quilting. :lol: Oh, and rake in the profits, of course!

Loretta, have you checked with your local library to see if they have the Elm Creek books on tape? If they don't, perhaps they can get them from another library. Just a thought.

I ask for gift certificates to lqs or Joann's...i get other stuff.....they just don't get it

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My mother-in-law saw my stash and asked if I could ever make enough quilts for it all? Is that the point? :shock: She doesn't think I need more! What is wrong with her??? :lol:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    My mother-in-law saw my stash and asked if I could ever make enough quilts for it all? Is that the point? :shock: She doesn't think I need more! What is wrong with her??? :lol:
    do we really want to get started on mother in laws??? :lol:

Banned
    I asked for fabric from my daughter and she said she wasnt sure what I wanted and was afraid that she would get me something I didnt like. I told her that I can always find a use for the fabric no matter what.

So I left it up to finding some sort of sewing memorabilia that she knows what I like.

As far as Santa I hope I get my Red Ryder BB gun!!! :mrgreen:

Billy

I've tried dropping hints for years--never worked. So this year I ordered EQ6 when it was on sale and gave DH my credit card bill and told him this was what he got me for Christmas. He's happy cause he doesn't have to shop and I'm happy that I don't have to act excited about another PennState sweatshirt or jogging outfit on Christmas morning. I haven't jogged since I was 25!!! So now we're both happy LOL.

Sandy1951 love that laughing smiley face!! marsye that monkey is hilarious!!!

I solved my problem this year two ways. My sister has a friend that works in a quilt shop, and also has a longarm. I happened to come across a picture (it was on facebook) of a quilt she was working on which was a thangles project. I sent her a message about how much I liked it and she replied that she would send the thangles package home with my sister when she came to visit. She sent another message after my sister did visit to say that she would be happy to give me tips when I started it....that was 3 months ago and my sister hasn't handed it over or mentioned a word so I am pretty sure I am getting it for christmas.
    My lqs has a gift registry and when anyone asks for a wish list I just send them to the lqs and its easy for them.

One of my daughters knows that I love gift certificates and that is what she always gets for me (plus a couple of Chunky candy bars :mrgreen:...yum yum ).A gift certificate is like getting a present twice....once when you open the present and 2nd is when you get to spend it.

Blog Entries
    Oh...ya'll are really funny...I'll volunteer to work in that fabric store!!! I get paid in fabric, right????? :lol:

I've solved it....I just tell DH that I'm gonna go shopping...I go on line, load up my cart and then holler at him to come click the button when it says buy now.....he thinks he did it then....we're both happy :lol: :lol: When it comes, I hand him the box, he wraps it and then I get to see it "in person" for the first time when I unwrap...still fun... :lol:

Banned
    Your very clever.

Blog Entries
    I have the website for you! Whenever I want a quilting book or a book to read with quilting as a theme and the library doesn't have it I go to www.paperbackswap.com. This is such a great site and you sign up by just listing a hand full of books you would be willing to swap (send to someone in the mail) and they give you credits. Then everytime someone requests one of your books you send it out and get a credit. I use my credits for quilt pattern books and regular books that aren't available at library. If someone has them you get a message right away, if no one has one listed it goes in your wish list and you get an email when it gets posted by someone. I have gotten several books and pattern books over the years on this site.....Love it! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast