Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another cabinet question - Arrow Bertha vs Kangaroo Wallaby >

Another cabinet question - Arrow Bertha vs Kangaroo Wallaby

Another cabinet question - Arrow Bertha vs Kangaroo Wallaby

Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Question Another cabinet question - Arrow Bertha vs Kangaroo Wallaby

I'm going crazy trying to choose a cabinet for my new sewing room. I had ordered a Perfexion cabinet, but after 3 major delays and no clear delivery date now, I've decided to order another. I'm looking at the Arrow Bertha and the Kangaroo Wallaby. I really only have my Bernina to take care of, and it's primarily for piecing and putting together the quilts. I do the actual quilting on my Sweet Sixteen. Can anyone help me with these two cabinets? Do you have one of them? Do you have a sense of the pros and cons?
Thanks so much!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM

I have the Wallaby (sold here as the 'Horn Eclipse') and cannot fault it. At first I was going to say that you probably wouldn't need the flip up table when I saw you quilted on on a Sweet Sixteen - until I remembered how great it was when sewing bindings on.......
Everything is at my fingertips and I rarely(?) lose things now, lol. i've never regretted buying mine.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks, Knitette. My worry about the Wallaby is that there seems to be little room to the left of the machine, where I would think you need most of the room when working with a large quilt? Have you found that to be a problem? How large is the table part to the left of the machine, can you tell me?
Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:46 PM

I'm looking at these two tables too. In addition, someone here has offered me an older model Horn that may fit my machine after all (Ace sewing told me it wouldn't-maybe they just want to sell me a new table. lol).

Do both of these cabinets have the same type of lift?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 PM

I have the Arrow Bertha and it works very well for me. It does have a nice work area to the left of the machine and also a section that opens out to the back of the machine, in addition to an open area to the right. With the lift for the machine and custom insert, I have a nice flat area for piecing and FMQ with my Pfaff. I have a relatively small area to use in my guest room and it folds up nicely when company comes. I bought mine on line and it was delivered direct from the factory (a USA company, which I like). My husband set it up, I would not have been able to do that by myself. I can't compare to the Wallaby because I'm not familiar with it. I know that Arrow fit my price range and it works for me. Plus has storage on the insides of both doors which I have filled with "stuff".
Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Take a look at the older cabinet first as it is probably better constructed and sturdier than the new ones. You may be able to adapt it with just a little bit of sawing. I was about an inch short for my machine and my neighbour was able to cut out the necessary piece for some beer as payment and it saved me a lot of money.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 PM

I love my Bertha, I found the Kangaroo cabinets to be out of my price range and the Bertha works great to spread my quilts out on. Right now a lot of the surfaces are covered with batting, thread boxes and patterns because I am temporarily sharing my sewing room with my one year old grandson, He's a doll BUT, They are finding a place of there own soon, so I can put everything back in it's place. Even with all the piles of stuff on my Bertha, I have plenty of room to sew. But boy will I be glad to have my bright yellow room with my white Bertha cabinet back. I sewed many a beginners quilt on a tiny quilt table, can't believe they turned out so well. I feel like the queen of my own little Kingdom when my room is all about me and my stuff!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM

Actually the Wallaby and the Bertha are not that much different in price. I've found the Wallaby for $850 and the Bertha for $720.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
Take a look at the older cabinet first as it is probably better constructed and sturdier than the new ones. You may be able to adapt it with just a little bit of sawing. I was about an inch short for my machine and my neighbour was able to cut out the necessary piece for some beer as payment and it saved me a lot of money.
We've decided to go with one that fits, so if the horn doesn't fit, I'm not going to cut it. We had to cut my current table to fit and let's just say I'm not doing that again. Fake wood doesn't cut all that well.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Puttergeo View Post
Thanks, Knitette. My worry about the Wallaby is that there seems to be little room to the left of the machine, where I would think you need most of the room when working with a large quilt? Have you found that to be a problem? How large is the table part to the left of the machine, can you tell me?
Thanks!
Go to the site I linked and click on 'dimensions' and all the measurements are there (unfortunately in centimetres. Easy to convert via calculator or internet 2.54 cms = 1").
I haven't found a problem to the left - so far. I only use the left side flip down occasionally too - mostly I keep it folded over.