Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another dilemma in taking classes >

Another dilemma in taking classes

Another dilemma in taking classes

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM

Default Another dilemma in taking classes

After just reading the thread about taking classes & the instructor focusing on one or two top students (or friends), I've had just the opposite experience. I've been in a cpl. of classes with people who didn't even know how to thread a needle. A handsewing needle. Never did understand why they were even there.

I have taught classes in other hobbies including some quilting & because I tend to catch onto things fast & am good with my hands, I sat quietly working on the project (English Paper piecing) til the instructor noticed I was working ahead. Instead of recognizing my experience & letting me go, she made sarcastic remarks because I wouldn't stay behind with the nonsewers. Didn't make sense & was embarrassing.

If I had held back I would have had to just sit there doing nothing. Everybody was working at different levels but most weren't interested in learning what was being taught. It wasn't a paid class but a grp. of friends.

How would you have handled this?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM

being Canadian, would have apologized for being too advanced ... {snicker}
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Was the friend/instructor trying to be funny - and maybe that was her way of recognizing that you were ahead of everyone else?

Overall, it sounds like it was a frustrating way to have spent some time. The only thing I would suggest is to avoid that group for a 'class'
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
good one!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 PM

HaHa! I busted a gut reading your post Liz! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 PM

My response I realize is going to sound awful but honestly I would have left. When my fun gets ceased I'm done for the day!! Quilting is fun and when you get together is supposed to be fun, challenging or just go with the flow yet so many people make it competitive and try really hard to make someone else feel inferior. I love this board because when there is a "bad seed" in quilting you can always come here and it's a total support system of positive reinforcement!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Was the friend/instructor trying to be funny - and maybe that was her way of recognizing that you were ahead of everyone else?

Overall, it sounds like it was a frustrating way to have spent some time. The only thing I would suggest is to avoid that group for a 'class'
No, she wasn't trying to be funny. This was my first encounter with this particular woman so we didn't know ea. other. I just wanted to know how to do EPP which I had never heard of before that. I do think twice before committing to classes there now to see how serious anybody else is about it. It's very frustrating when I really want to learn something though.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM

Giggle, Giggle!!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 AM

My goal in classes is basically to learn something new, so the instructor should not be insulted if I actually learn what I'm supposed to and then leave her to give attention to those folks who need more instruction. I'm always friendly and appreciative, but when I'm done I'm done. And because I'm Canadian I thank the instructor profusely as I leave.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 AM

I'm always a little skeptical about taking classes for the reasons mentioned. I find "googling" will give me videos, etc that I can watch at my own pace and usually accomplish what I needed.