Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Arizona Members?  I'm considering a move in that direction! >

Any Arizona Members? I'm considering a move in that direction!

Any Arizona Members? I'm considering a move in that direction!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:29 PM

They have talked the airport thing for years, not sure where it stands now but is something you should look into. In Gilbert (and around Phx) there are wonderful craft shows from Oct thru Easter. Some with many vendors and wonderful handmade stuff. Look into finding them, you can put flyers at their sales also....drew very large crowds. They start in Oct. for fall and Halloween, then a big Christmas sale and then a spring/Easter sale. You may find flyers in stores or ads in newspapers. Well worth going to and you might find others that would want to come down to do yours also. Good luck.

There used to be an event called Country Thunder and I think that has been moved just south of Florence. An annual (?) event with lots of country singers. Have been away from AZ for many years.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 AM

Welcome to AZ.
I have been offline for a couple of weeks during my move.
Still unpacking.
The big street fair in Tempe is the weekend of Dec. 6th. Parking on the street is free on Sunday only.
This is the best of the street fairs, so dont miss it. Its right downtown Tempe.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 AM

I didn't know you were moving Rose Marie! I assume you are still in AZ though?

I will put that event on my calendr. I would really like to go.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 PM

Welcome to Arizona! I have lived here for almost 20 years and love it here! Yes, it gets hot in the summer, but I wouldn't trade the heat for slipping on the ice and freezing my toes! :D I love this time of year with our pleasant afternoons and cool sleeping weather.

In March, the Arizona Quilters Guild has its annual show. This year it will be at the Mesa Convention Center. You must come!!! Last year there were over 400 quilts and lots of great vendors too.

The Valley of the Sun/Phoenix area has a lot of really nice quilt shops too. I think there must be at least 20! I live in Surprise (northwest area near Sun City) and we just got our first quilt shop, The Quilted Cactus, in September. A friend just told me yesterday that a new one,The Olde Quilt Shoppe, opened recently on Cave Creek Road(north Phoenix/Scottsdale area). Pick up a free copy of the Country Register at a quilt shop and they will be advertised in there. Quilting is alive and well here in Phoenix even though our weather doesn't get to freezing much.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:26 PM

That's great news. I can't wait to come Do have any info on entering the show. I could have something done by then.

And The part about slipping on ice, is just the reason I'm here :D I spent two winters in MT and wracked up an ankle during ea. one! I am enjoying the nice weather. If I were in MT Or even Seattle now I'd pretty much be hermitted in for the duration. But not here. I'm loving it.

Just hope to have the pool all re-plumbed, re-wired and ready in time for the hot weather.

So, what are the monsoons really like? I am assuming those are not constant rain but rather frequent, sudden downpours. Are they warm?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:29 PM

If you need info about the AQG show next March, go to their website http://www.azquiltersguild.org for more info and the form to enter. If you join the guild, there is no entry fee. There is a yearly fee to join the guild however.

The monsoons are storms that usually start near the end of June/beginning of July along with some really warm weather. The storms usually begin in late afternoon or early evening and can last a few hours. There has been so much growth here in the metro area and concrete laid that it has created what they call a heat island and we don't get the rains we used to. At least that's what the weatherman says! Sometimes we get rain here in Surprise and Mesa can be bone dry and vice versa. It is nice when it does rain and we get a little relief from the humidity. I am so thankful for air conditioning!!! :-) Sleeveless shirt are nice too!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 AM

I have open field on three sides. I hope we do get some frequent rain over here due to the dust. I am trying cultivate some ground cover this winter and get some shade trees growing. That might take a couple yrs. My neighbor gave me a Lemon tree and a Pinion Pine. I dug up and transplanted a small Mesquite tree, but it doesn't seem to be doing so well. I have lots of small trees volunteering so I'll try another one. :?: I am also having my husband build some pergola's and hanging some outside shades on my porches for sunscreen.

We have so much to do but I enjoy the process. I am planning a mural on the street side of the bldg. I've been taking photos and video clips of our journey. I'd like to get set up on my-space but, do not have a clue as to how it works so I need to find out if there are any classes I can afford to take offered through Community Ed or on the cheap at the college. Do you know of any? They had Adult Basic Education in Missoula. Which was free of charge for the basic's and other classes like Computer Training and Photography were offered for a small fee. I paid around $30. for an 8 week Photography class. But we were not there long enough to take to other courses I wanted.