Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: Any non-sewing items that you use for quilting?

Quote Originally Posted by dljennings View Post
    i want to know where you get your mammogram done... cause they sure aren't giving me any "comfort"pads! i guess i should be happy with the new robes they got that actually wrap around and tie IN THE FRONT!
    I want to know too! Just had one done last week, and I sure didn't have any comfort pads!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tealady View Post
    What is the benefit for doing this? Y'all come up with some really good ideas and tips.
    Priscilla
    This has a great benefit. Anyone who has tried marking like HST and holding onto the block without it shifting and drawing a line at the same time, it can be hard. The sandpaper holds the fabric still while you draw on it. You can also use sandpaper to sharpen your scissors, just cut several slits in the sandpaper and you'd be amazed how much better your scissors cut. I get my sandpaper at the dollar store. I also use a hot plate made to warm candles to set my coffee cup on to keep it hot while I'm sewing. I hate cold coffee but get so busy that I forget to drink it and end up throwing it away. Painters tape is great for marking your quilt when you are going to cross hatch it for quilting and it is also great to help hold the fabric in the hoop when you don't have quite the right size of fabric you should have when embroidering. So many things. Chop sticks are great for helping turn corners too.
    Judy

This is a fantastic idea! I pre-load bobbins with my hand quilting thread for traveling. Bobbins are flatter and store better than a spool of thread. I used to keep nail clippers in the box with the bobbins to cut the thread with. But, depending on the airlines - they can be picky about nail clippers - this will be my new solution!

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nantucketsue View Post
    This is a brillliant idea, but not all ink jets are colour fast. Does anyone know if Epson ink is suitable for this method?
    There is a product called Bubble Jet to set ink but here is a site for a recipe for home made solution you might want to try. I have not tried it yet but have used Bubble Jet. It is quite expensive.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Where do you buy hemostats? I hear of a lot of people using them.

I use a wooden toothpick to turn stubborn fabric when I do needle turn applique. I dampen the toothpick in my mouth and it sure turns the fabric easily. Getting it damp is the secret. It grabs the fabric when the smooth needle won't.

There are so many great ideas on this thread.....thank you.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Quote Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
    Try a medical supply store.

I'm making a Dresden Fan quilt and discovered wooden chopsticks I have on hand make a great tool to get the points right.

Quote Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
    citruscountyqulter; you can get hemostats harbor freight, some times you can find them at flea market with the tools, these also sometimes have some real nice little scissors that are great for takeing in you hand work.
    [you need to test them to make sure they will can thread, I seam to always have a stray thread on me some where.]
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree View Post
    Curious. What is duck tape? Quack Quack. I think you meant duct tape. (The multi-purpose sticky stuff that will remove warts but does not mend broken hearts)
    There is a brand of duct tape called "duck" tape. So technically your both right.

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
    I use an air compressor to clean the lint out of my machines.
    You might want to be careful doing that. You could be blowing the lint farther into your machine instead of out.

To the person who posted about using a hammer to flatten seams...

Ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner!!!!

Just tried it and it works like a champ. Guess I'll be toting a small hammer to my classes!

Thank you ever so much!

Gratefully,
    Renate

Quote Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
    To the person who posted about using a hammer to flatten seams...

Ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner!!!!

Just tried it and it works like a champ. Guess I'll be toting a small hammer to my classes!

Thank you ever so much!

Gratefully,
    Renate
    Red somewhere danger of using a hammer to flatten seams...could weaken the fibers of the sewing thread, thus might cause that seam(s) to deteriorate sooner than with normal use. Suggested if needed, use a rubber mallet.

Senior Member SlightlyOffQuilter's Avatar
    Wooden folding / accordion style wine rack attached to my peg board for holding cans of 505, spray starch, just about anything else !
    Name:  DSCN3236.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  835.9 KB
    If you ever see a quilt without any flaws, rest assured that I did not make it ! http://slightlyoffquilter.com

Quote Originally Posted by denveremerson View Post
    Don't forget clear x-ray film for cutting out templates. And with everything going digital, most hospitals and clinics are getting rid of their x-ray viewing boxes. They make great light boxes! And they may be happy to have someone take one off their hands. We medical people find all sorts of things to recycle! :-))
    I've asked for the end rolls of the examination table covers to use for tracing patterns. The paper is thin and is just right for tracing quilting patterns. The nurses look at me kind of funny lol

I keep a new toilet brush hanging on the leg of my machine table to pick up loose threads and lint from the carpet in between vacuming.

I use the small disposable letter openers to cut thread when traveling. They're flat, the blade is protected, and they pass muster at the airport.

Blog Entries
    I print out my quilt labels using a pretty font from the computer. Then I tape the paper and the label to a window and trace the print with a Pixma Pen. I have found the printed labels fade, even when heat set. The Pixma is permenant.

Quote Originally Posted by sabaker39 View Post
    Another thought - I have a lot of shelves in my closet and at a garage sale this weekend, I picked up 10 small plastic boxes about 8 X 10 X about 5 inches deep - or so and came home and sorted projects into them and put them on the shelves. Room looks nicer now. When my husband used the pvc pipe to extend my table, he put a solid dowel inside the pipe to make it much more steady. Then he put an adhesive tape on the leg and pulled the pvc pipe over it. Wow - a really solid table for so little $$$.
    picture please

tmw
    Quote Originally Posted by PamB8s View Post
    I don't know. It will take me years to fill up this jar.
    I've gotten pills in bottles that are the exact size for rotary blades. to throw away in. and they do hold a lot of blades, more than i'll ever use..
    Thelma

I use an empty TP cardboard roller to roll up my binding. I just figured out recently that if I cut a couple inch section out of a wire hanger, slip the TP roller onto it and hang it from my rafters while I'm glueing my binding onto the quilt, it keeps it from getting tangled up and off the floor. I glue then press my binding on before I do the actual stitching.

Also I use a carpenters "L" shaped ruler while quilting on the frame. I use it to keep my quilt square to the frame.

I use my shop's clamps (spring loaded type) and a long metal straight ruler 5' when cutting my batting from the roll. I have my batting hanging on the rafters above my cutting table (4' x 8'), I pull out the batting to measure it, then I lay the metal ruler across the table and clamp it to the table on both sides, then I go to cut it with my rotary cutter not having to worry that the ruler has slipped.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Sears is my go to place to sewing stuff. I use their handy little divided boxes for storing small things like snaps, hooks, buttons and beads. I use large washers as fabric weights when garment sewing to hold down fabrics and their nice little boxes with drawers in them for the miscellaneous little stuff that I have around the sewing room.
    Patrice S

Light coloured wax crayons for fabric marking. Painters tape when I pin quilts.
    Melanie

http://www.quiltersenjoycolor.blogspot.ca

https://www.instagram.com/melanie_rudy_art
    https://melanierudy.com/

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree View Post
    Curious. What is duck tape? Quack Quack. I think you meant duct tape. (The multi-purpose sticky stuff that will remove warts but does not mend broken hearts)
    Actually, there is a brand of duct tape called Duck Tape . . .REALLY . . .Quack Quack

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-Brand-126...ords=duck+tape
    Blessings,
    -Robin

Bernina 780 & 350, Babylock Tiara II & Evolution

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9