Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me? >

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

any other have incidents with the quilt police or is it just me?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Am I missing something here?? Why exactly did that woman go nuts???
Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 AM

maybe because she was using the quilt on something other than a bed. It bothers me a bit when my children use the ones I have given them for a picnic table on the ground but it's not mine anymore. Any they enjoy them and are so grateful to have them.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:33 AM

Only one time have I ever encountered the quilt police and that was in a fabric store that was closing. She was one of the employees. She made me so angry that I left. But the next day (when the owners were there) I went back and said to her in a loud voice, "You were so rude and nasty to me yesterday that I left. After getting home I decided that you must have just been having a horrible day to treat a customer that way so I came back today to give you another opportunity to wait on me. The only thing is that today you are required to play nice in order to get my money. Now, where are we going to start? What would you like to show me?" Needless to say she was very pleasant that day but although I took a lot of her time I didn't buy all that much. LOL The bad thing is that she transferred to their store in Bourbonnaise, Il., and last I heard was still working for them. Everyone says she's only pleasant when the owners are around. Oh well, at least I don't have to deal with her any more.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

My kids and I take tea kwon do (martial arts). If anyone assualts them the person would not fare well. I am not sure what is with people that they just go man handle children and others.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I was at a quilt show in Fort Smith, AR a couple of years ago, and overheard a vendor telling some ladies that "you cannot hand quilt with Warm and Natural". I wanted to yell at her that I ONLY hand quilt and I ONLY use Warm and Natural. What kind of thing is that to say to someone?? What if those ladies had been beginners and believed that blarney? She surely must have been pushing her own agenda.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
I get the this a lot being a young quilter, with a lot of tattoos. The ladies in most of my lqs's don't even help me. I had one woman who told me my color choices were no where near "professional" quality. I told her I did not want my quilt to look "professional", just charming. That quilt has received more compliments than any other!
You go girl. I bet I would like your color choices but it doesn't matter as long as you like your quilt. I am a big orange and yellow fan and that seems to distress many people too but it makes me happy and that is what counts. It took me sometime to be confident and basically ignore the comments.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 AM

These people are everywhere!
when I first started quilting I entered several of my small baby quilts ad walhangings in a local show.
my aunt was helping "watch" the quilts and was there when they judged them.
The comment was made that I wasn't a real quilter because I didn't miter my bindings! they also would not judge any that hadn't been hand quilted- this was in 1994.

our local sewing shop has always been rude this way, customers and clerks! I ran an embroidery business for several years. One day I needed a certain color thread and ran out! needed to get the order done and would take 4 days to order more so I thought I would check to see if they carried any as they sold embroidery machines.

the clerk seeing me looking at the embroidery rayons asked if I needed help.I told her what I wanted rayon 30wt white.
she proceded to tell me that I was mistaken as rayon threads were only used for embroidery machines and I should look at the craft store down the road for my crafting supplies!
Some people have nerve!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 AM

I was born lacking the gene that would cause me to lose confidence in myself because of something someone said. Another way to put it - I don't care what others think.

I'll tell you what I automatically do it in the situation when someone tells me I can't do it that way or I can only do it this way or I can't do it at all - my brain automatically goes "says you". :roll:

Try it - it will work for you too. :wink:
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 AM

I have encountered the quilt police.

While working in the Machine Quilting guild booth at a quilt show, I asked a woman if she was a machine quilter or if she was looking for one (we welcome all machine quilters - Longarm, Mid-arm, Short-arm, and DSM (domestic sewing machine). We were looking to add members, and to help those piecers that were looking for a professional to quilt their quilts.

The woman started YELLING at me - "I" would NEVER allow a machine to touch my quilts. "I" can hand quilt a queen size quilt in 4 hours. You can't tell me that machine quilting is faster - I know that these quilts on display took longer to do, and they were done with a machine - so there! It's not any faster than hand quilting.

Holy Cow!! I still shake my head.....speed has nothing to do with it.

And just to be clear - I TOTALLY respect those that hand quilt. I tried it. I love the look, I just can't pull it off. Hand quilting and machine quilting are just different art forms - and to compare one to the other doesn't make sense. They each stand alone.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
I get the this a lot being a young quilter, with a lot of tattoos. The ladies in most of my lqs's don't even help me. I had one woman who told me my color choices were no where near "professional" quality. I told her I did not want my quilt to look "professional", just charming. That quilt has received more compliments than any other!
A few years back, friends took me to a new business where the owners would tell you what colors look good on you. They had some clothes, grouped according to color palette (winter, summer, etc.) hanging on the walls as examples. When I pointed out that I would have paired "this with that" from two different palettes, their first response was "oh, no, they don't go together." So, I took down the pieces and put them next to each other. Their response "OH. They do look good together!"

I'm by no means a color expert, I just happened to like the colors of those two pieces of clothing. So, they taught me something new, but I opened their eyes to something new. That's how those LQS ladies should look at someone's choices! Sounds like they're stuck in a rut and full of themselves. Good for you, for sticking to your guns!