Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody have tips for sewing itty bitty squares together >

Anybody have tips for sewing itty bitty squares together

Anybody have tips for sewing itty bitty squares together

Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 AM

QuiltE that cow is great!

I would never be brave enough to do something like that!

One thing I have visions of is a bargello quilt of Clint Eastwood as the man with no name(poncho guy from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)

It could really be a thing of beauty if the right person did it and could fetch large dollars from hard core movie buffs...
Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Thanks! ......... like I said, ignorance is bliss! ... I knew no better.
It worked .... though it could just as easily ended up in the UFOs or even the trash bin. Granted there were times it came very close to that, so I just let it brew away on its own, til I was in the right frame of mind to plunder on! I'm glad I did and it reminds me regularly what one can achieve, despite all odds!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Thank you for the tips everyone!

So far, so good.

Haven't used pins yet but it looks like it will meet up okay when I join the rows(will probably use pins then)

Not nearly as dramatic as I thought.

Just a little intimidated sometimes because I haven't done anything but mending for years.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:24 AM

I haven't experienced any problem using small squares. I didn't like the grid, it was too bulky and awkward for me.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:01 AM

I'll 2nd that! I don't like to mess with stabilizers just never got into using them. But Starch! Get the liquid that you dilute with water to strength you want, and a good spray bottle. Plan on cleaning your iron often. I learned that just taking the iron to the sink with a soft cloth and water removes the starch build up. I use a dry iron. Right now I'm making the QM Bitty Blocks, so fun, and my bitty baskets came out perfect 1-1/2" HST unfinished. I starch all through the process.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Daisy Dew View Post
I'll 2nd that! I don't like to mess with stabilizers just never got into using them. But Starch! Get the liquid that you dilute with water to strength you want, and a good spray bottle. Plan on cleaning your iron often. I learned that just taking the iron to the sink with a soft cloth and water removes the starch build up. I use a dry iron. Right now I'm making the QM Bitty Blocks, so fun, and my bitty baskets came out perfect 1-1/2" HST unfinished. I starch all through the process.
I am also doing QM Bitty Blocks and appreciate your advice about using liquid starch. I have not used the starch and I have managed to get them done but have to do a lot of squaring up after each step. I am going to try your method.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:22 AM

One at a time. It truly is not that hard, do not rush and enjoy the journey. MyBurgoyne Surround used 1.5: squares, I cut them, thru them in a bag, shook the bag, pulled out color pieces one at a time. If you go back to a 2.5" square, they will seem huge!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]516378[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails candy-top.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Anxious to see when it's finished.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:46 AM

Itty bitty squares are sooooooo time consuming!

I knew it would take a while but I haven't even assembled one block yet!

And the blocks won't all be identical like I planned. As usual I will figure it out as I go along.

I won't be able to sew today. Daughter and I are going to a museum to look at quilts. Maybe grab some Starbucks and Mickey D's and hit the thrift store for fifty percent off day.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
I am also doing QM Bitty Blocks and appreciate your advice about using liquid starch. I have not used the starch and I have managed to get them done but have to do a lot of squaring up after each step. I am going to try your method.
I just finished a large quilt using 9 1 1/2" 9p in each block. Yes, squaring up after each step is important when working this small.