Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them? >

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Anybody made quilts and nobody wants them?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ally
At a yard sale I bought a PVC pipe quilt frame for $10. When I asked if the lady quilted she said no but her mother had. Then she went inside and came out with a beautiful quilt top (not quilted yet) for a queen size bed. She said her mother made it but died before she could quilt it. I referred the lady to our church who quilts for others but she said no she just wanted to get rid of it. I offered to pay for it but she again said no ... so I took it. There was material for points and backing in the bag with the quilt. It is light lavender and white with a big star in the center ... all the points of the star are perfect.
she will be sorry later but her loss is your gain-you will love it and cherish it more than she ever could. Glad you gave it a good home.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady
I've only been into quilting for 3 1/2 yrs. When my Mom and sister found out...the first thing they told me was NOT to make anything for them! One Christmas I got brave. I made one for my sister that was very, very simple. All I did was buy fleece remnants, cut into 5" squares, and sewed them all back togther. I tied it because I didn't know what else to do. It had a flannel backing. She absolutely loved it!!! After a couple of months I was showing off another more involved top. She made sure she wasn't going to receive it... Months later, I made a modified log cabin quilt. Took it to Mom's and put it on her bed. Weeks later, my brother called asked if I could make him one just like it. So I grabbed another quilt I had finished. Cat blocks. Went to Mom's bed again, gave the first one to my brother and gave Mom the newer one. But I've been told "No more". I have made a dozen since. I promised my other brother he could have my very favorite for Christmas coming. Other than that...I keep making them and no one wants them. I find I love them so much when they are done, I just want to keep them anyway. Mom took hers off the bed because she wanted to save it. I put it back on the bed. The sad news is that now her mind is rapidly failing and she isn't even aware it is folded on the chair beside her bed. Hasn't a clue to use it. I usually just read all your posts. Have only commented a couple of times. But I so look forward to reading all the wonderful things you all have to say to each other . Just wanted to say thanks for the entertainment. Ha ha ha
The first lap quilt I made, purples and greens and rather nice, I gave to my DIL. She has never put it out, keeps stuffed animals on it in a back bedroom, but I am too timid to straight out ask for it back (I have hinted). Not the reception I hoped for!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

There are lots of charities that would love to have your quilts.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:17 PM

I had a friend that I had worked with that could care less about quilts. She had 2 that her mother in law made (who is now passed on) that was made in th 60's era. All she wants to do is to sell them. They were beautiful quilts well made.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:27 PM

When my Dad was in hospic care there was a home made quilt on each bed. That was so comforting & a real nice thing some one did.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 PM

Have you thought about the Firemen and Ambulance potlucks? both are volunteer in Gretna Va. and always short of money. I donate quilts and handmade stuff for them to auction.
My Mom made a lot of around the world quilts.I was the only one who wanted them. Shes been gone 6 years now and now SOME people want them. I tell them no. but if they wait they can have one I made.(I feel so mean sometimes but Moms feeling were hurt.I can't seem to forget that.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 AM

My older son requested I not make him anymore quilts, they are not his style. Ok, I respect that. Everyone else wants them.

My DD reported that he was thinking of asking me to make a quilt of Goretex (what the heck is that?). DD said, Mom couldn't do that. His reply, Mom can do anything. Now if he will just send me a sample.......
Old 09-30-2011, 05:43 AM

Goretex is a waterproof fabric used for camping outfits and raincoats to keep you dry