Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have Gremlins...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Yes, I have live-in Gremlins myself. I have a live-in ghost,
    i call him George, who moves things around when I forget
    about him. Even my cats sometimes walk around in circles,
    rubbing the legs of someone who is just barely here.
    Last week George took my rotary cutter and cutting pad from
    where I had put it, right after using it. After I'd ironed the backing to the fabric, marked and cut it out, started looking for it where I knew I'd put it for safe keeping, but I still haven't found it to cut the square backing for the applique figures.

I'm going to have to cut most of it with sissors, and maybe he
    will see how angry I am and put it out in plain sight.

That's my story and I'm keeping it!!

I'm like this , I can't really call mine a Gremlin for mine is a full pledged Ghost, wall banging and all and has been with me in every house I have lived in since my twenty's , so yes when something goes missing I know why . It is just my husband and I here so I can't blame it on a cat for we have on indoor cats are no children still living at home either.. :-)

Yup! The weirdest one for me was the bobbin cover on my sewing maching. Husband had called me out of the room in the middle of my replacing the bobbin. When I returned it was nowhere to be found, even after Swiffering the room 3 times, even in nooks and crannies not routinely hit. Went out and ordered a replacement (with a spare at the insistance of husband). (Of course I got the last one in the store..the man actually took it off their machine....and ordered more). Low and behold, two days later the original cover "sat" on the floor near one leg of my cutting table and I'd swear it was grinning and laughing in it's own way. So, now I have two spares!
    :thumbup: :lol:

where I had put it, right after using it. After I'd ironed the backing to the fabric, marked and cut it out, started looking for it where I knew I'd put it for safe keeping, but I still haven't found it to cut the square backing for the applique figures.

We've got a male spirit in this house also! Tall, thin and very non-threatening, if folks know what I mean. Actually I sort of like knowing he's around, come to think of it, maybe he had some fun with me with the bobbin cover!

:wink: :wink:

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    Quote Originally Posted by akgranny
    sigh ....... i thought i was just having senior moments but they're too frequent -- am i passing from older to elderly?
    I hear you! Tonight I was cooking pudding on the stove, stiring with a wire wisk. I had to go to the livingroom for a minute and when I got back to the pudding the wisk had disapeared. I got another wisk out of the drawer, I still haven't found the sticky (pudding) wisk I was using. :oops:
    Now, that's funny! I'm imagining the condition you'll find it in....at my house, this summer, it would be licked clean by ants before I could get it to the dishwasher. THEY have been insidious, impossible to get rid of.

Huh, maybe MY gremlins are ... ants!

Jan in VA (living in the country among the pastures)

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I have a ghost named Emily who loves bright things. (and it is only a 20 year old house and we built it).
    Came home from being away one time and there was a ball of bright orange yarn on the sewing room floor. I thought maybe I had left it on a shelf and it fell, but it was a good six feet away from the shelves, and there is a rug. Can't see it rolling that far. Then I found the rest of the yarn it had been with, had left it in a drawer.
    Just today she left a line of 5 bright red hawthorns in the driveway for me - there are no hawthorn trees within 200 feet.
    She is mostly good though, doesn't hide things. Sometimes I can feel someone touching the top of my head, think it is her.
    Oh that's so cool!!
    I live in the kitchen out-building of a 200 year old Virginia plantation, 14" thick plantation-made brick walls, huge thick yellow Southern pine floors and ceiling joists, non-working fireplace....not a ghost in sight or otherwise. Sometimes in the winter, though, I swear I can smell the odor of cooking fires, sort of like barbeque smoke, pleasant.
    Jan in VA

The gremlins are at my house also. Not just my sewing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I have a ghost named Emily who loves bright things. (and it is only a 20 year old house and we built it).
    Came home from being away one time and there was a ball of bright orange yarn on the sewing room floor. I thought maybe I had left it on a shelf and it fell, but it was a good six feet away from the shelves, and there is a rug. Can't see it rolling that far. Then I found the rest of the yarn it had been with, had left it in a drawer.
    Just today she left a line of 5 bright red hawthorns in the driveway for me - there are no hawthorn trees within 200 feet.
    She is mostly good though, doesn't hide things. Sometimes I can feel someone touching the top of my head, think it is her.
    Oh that's so cool!!
    I live in the kitchen out-building of a 200 year old Virginia plantation, 14" thick plantation-made brick walls, huge thick yellow Southern pine floors and ceiling joists, non-working fireplace....not a ghost in sight or otherwise. Sometimes in the winter, though, I swear I can smell the odor of cooking fires, sort of like barbeque smoke, pleasant.
    Jan in VA
    That is how I mostly pick up presences - by odors. There are 3 different ones, as far as I can tell - 3 different odors that occur in 3 different places. All wonderful smells .

Get the Sears 12'tote it has a place for every thing!!!!

I think there must be an army of gremlins in my house :wink: :wink: :wink:

Blog Entries
    Just yesterday I wanted to replace the blade in my rotary cutter and could not find the open package of blades. I know I have two packages and one was already opened. I could only find the unopened package.

Blog Entries
    Since my children were small, I have always reserved a drawer(usually somewhere in the kitchen) and we all called it the Bermuda Triangle. It was intended for "odds and ends",small items that nobody knew where to place them. From single socks to strange looking little parts of unknown things, it was never known who put them there. My grandchildren are teenagers and know about the Bermuda Triangle. I believe the gremlins that live here also do, as well. It was often the first place one of us would check out when we couldn't locate something we were searching for.

I call him George. He hides things in plain sight and also steals one sock from each pair.

Quote Originally Posted by bsktkeeper
    I think I have a pack of them . I can't for the life of me find the manuals for my sewing machines. Even the new one I got last week. Maybe my daughter will find them after I'm gone. Sure do need them at times and don't know how to replace them.
    Check online for manuals. I was able to find the manual for my machine at the manufacturer website :)

When we were growing up we had a ghost named George in our house. He was a gentleman who had died in the house before we lived there. As we grew we blamed everything on George. My younger sister moved out and George followed her, I guess he liked her. I wonder if George is still around...

I have an entire colony of gremlins living in my craft room... they are very messy too!! They leave all sorts of supplies everywhere!!

HILARIOUS! Thanks for the giggle.

Sounds so familiar.

I have house fairies. Just as bad as gremlins.

Not sure if I have the house fairies or the gremlims, maybe both!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I seem to have a lot of those lately. God bless.

MNM

SCISSORS, Yuk, how do you do that, I think I have forgetten
    You have a very good reason to run out and buy a new board and cutter. SCISSORS???????? MNM :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by LastGrandma
    in their quilt room/area???

I can spend a lot of time looking for scissors, my fabric marking pen, a ruler, etc., and never find it. After I give up and make do with something else and continue on (struggling), the lost item never shows up.

The next day I can walk in and TA DA -- there is the item in plain site!!!! I swear I have Gremlins who hide things and then return them the next day. Any one else have this problem?
    Uh-huh!! I have one of those.l

Oh --and MNM, I still used scissors occasionally -- but not for cutting out pieces or strips. Once in a while, I do need to shimmy something up a bit.

ditto... it's easier that way!

But I do have a granddaughter who loves the Charm Packs.
    I about tore the house apart looking for them, then I went into our bedroom. Little missy took her big marshmallow and dotted the mirror on the dresser. Somethink told me to open the door, and there was my Charm Pack! I need to put my fabrics away when she is there! Or better yet, I need to cut some for her to play with so she will leave mine alone.

After 30+ years in one home, we moved clear across the country to a new house. I call those lost treasures a visit from the "ghosties". After listening to all of you I'm going to call him Uncle Homer in honor of my childhood imaginary friend! Thanks for making me feel right at home.

Isn't this fun!!! I just love it. Makes you feel a little bit saner doesn't it.
    Dodee

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast