Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anyone else "stretching" their skills with the start of the New Year?

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

anyone else "stretching" their skills with the start of the New Year?

I have 3 things I'm working on (or will be) that truly are stretching my skills.
    The first is a quilted vest for my DS. I took a class with Kris Viera a couple summers ago on making fancy quilted clothing and have the 'parts' on the quilting frame right now. She recommends marking the pieces on the fabric at the next larger size and then quilting before cutting out. it is suppose to be a Christmas present and they arrive tomorrow-maybe Valentine's Day??

The 2nd "stretch" is one of those pre-cut fusible wall hangings where you just place and press, right?? Ha! while I'm super relieved that I bought the pre-cut, my wall hanging is taking much longer than I expected cause there are so many TINY pieces! I'm using a tweezers to hold some on the pieces in place! You fuse the parts on a Teflon pressing sheet using the pattern and a plastic placement sheet that you make up. then you fuse it all together on the background. once I figured out the system of placing pieces it's going faster. Would I do another one--I think so--but only if pre-cut!

My last stretch is the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt--although I'm waiting for all the instructions to get started as thinking I'll make it smaller and maybe different colors--I have absolute NO corals! BH always makes me "stretch" my piecing skills and aim for accuracy--always something I need.

What is your "stretch" for 2018??

Blog Entries
    I just did FMQ on a real quilt... that's a stretch for me
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I just did FMQ on a real quilt... that's a stretch for me
    I remember seeing your post and thinking, first time??? really??? your's looked sooo much better than my first attempt!

I doubt I do anything to stretch my skills. Still working with lots of scraps.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Just started appliquing and gonna tackle a Baltimore Album quilt using trapunto method in 2018. I've watched every YouTube and read every blog article I could find...think I'm ready...Eeek!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Actually, I am going in the opposite direction. I have just started two more Boxed Squares. These are numbers 13, and 14. I do love this pattern.

About stretching...I might have my sister show me paper piecing.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I stretch my skills every year. I make it a point to learn something new every year
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Oh, yes, every year I attempt to challenge myself. This past year I stretched my skills to include multiple quilting motifs and styles, QAYG, and the size (biggest yet for me, almost a twin)---all in the same quilt! (My sister's b'day quilt called Providence Lodge, which I posted recently.) It was worth the effort and now I'm not scared of FMQ at all. I'm not saying I'm good at it; I'm just saying my confidence is much stronger and I feel victorious.

For the coming year, I will try to:

-make a quilt with curved pieces
    -set a quilt on point
    -create a black & white quilt (and maybe one other color with it) to get out of my color norm

Curves. Did one in a "class" at a social sew. But have not continued the project. Love Drunkards Path in Batiks.

I’m doing the BH mystery which is a big stretch for me since it involves so many small pieces and lots more patience than I usually am able to muster - not to mention the whole following directions thing
    Rob
    Last edited by rryder; 12-29-2017 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Following directions
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    I have always tried to learn something new and challenge myself each year. I did my first appliqué in September on a baby quilt and I enjoyed the process so I plan to do some intricate appliqué in 2018 like vines, flowers etc. I also have a new embroidery module for my new machine so I will take a class on machine embroidery so it doesn’t just sit in the box.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

This year my major goal is to learn to do curved cross-hatching with long arm rulers on my sit down Gammill Charm. I have a queen sized quilt top from 5 or 6 years ago that I've been putting off quilting because I want to do curved cross-hatching in the squares of varying sizes, as shown in image 2 in this link.

http://www.ctpub.com/simply-retro-wi...lle-roskelley/
    Last edited by Kris P; 12-29-2017 at 05:07 AM. Reason: add content

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I am not sure I will be stretching but I always wanted to do a kielidascope quilt and some sort of log cabin. Also would like to make a quilt to use as a bedspread on my bed. And improve my FMQ and machine embroidery on finished quilts! Lots on my plate!

Blog Entries
    Almost everything I do stretches my skills on some level. I seem to have this need to push every project to a higher level. I always seem to have "what if" moments which I cannot resist.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

My FMQ is starting to improve. I hope to get better next year!

My daughter wants a 'Giant Dahlia' quilt. I have been pondering how for a while now.
    Good thing she said she was not in a hurry for it.
    Mike

I envy you learning paper piecing. I am left-handed and dyslexic, so paper piecing is out of my league. I can do really fine applique, however.

I have signed up for an applique BOM - that's my stretch this year. As additional goals I am going to get my sewing areas organized better and finish up older projects.
    Peggy

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."
    -Chinese proverb
    http://peggybsquilting.blogspot.com/

I do like to try something new every year. This new year I also want to focus on all the projects I have fabric for, and incorporate new techniques into them. Expanding beyond SITD and echo, and try to do a project a month. Life gets in the way, and there is so much fabric and so little time!!

I'm hoping to stretch my skills, but am not sure what direction that may take. I've got everything ready to start the "Catch Me if You Can" pattern. I've done plenty of paper peicing, but this adds curves so that will be something I've just started working with.

I also want to do more FMQ with the LA.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Sounds great! Glad you are learning something new! We just spent 5 days at a ski resort. While the guys skied I worked on 'stretching my skills'! I practiced a lot of set in piecing on my sewing machine using the 'Quilters Acadamy - Senior Year Book'.

Here's the stars! I'm so pleased with how they turned out. They take alot of time, but WOW, I was actually surprised they turned out!
    Name:  20171225_161216small.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  100.6 KB

The first ones I did...the book has you start with hexagons and then do baby blocks:
    Name:  20171225_100857 small.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  43.8 KB
    Name:  20171224_103819 small.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  40.7 KB
    Last edited by kristijoy; 12-29-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Kristi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Actually, I am going in the opposite direction. I have just started two more Boxed Squares. These are numbers 13, and 14. I do love this pattern.

About stretching...I might have my sister show me paper piecing.
    thanks for mentioning this. it's a great pattern for a lovely quilt... here's a link to the free pattern http://www.maryquilts.com/boxed-squares/
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I was drawn to quilting because it was a "new frontier" for me. The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to learn. I love challenges. I have a million areas where I need to improve. First, I am committed to learning to FMQ. I have learned how to create beautiful, perfect quilting with my embroidery machine, but I refuse to rely only on that. I will practice, practice, practice FMQ. Second, I am going to explore applique this year. I will have to try several methods to select one that works best for me. I look forward to that challenge. I think I will start with individual blocks and make the same block using different methods until I find my groove. Third, I want to branch out and try some different styles. I actually love vintage looking quilts, but I am also drawn to some modern quilt styles. I want to move between styles and color palettes more easily. I am sure there will be many more lessons in 2018, but I am rearing to get started.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

My stretch this coming year will be FMQ and ruler work. I have tremors in my hands so trying either was a challenge. Always used my robotics instead but this next year I'm going to take a stab at it. Have a couple quilts that need it anyway.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Like Kris, I’ll be improving my FMQ skills on my sitdown longarm, which is new.
    It’s a Bernina Q20, and it was installed on December 18. I’ve finished a couple of small projects like potholders and table toppers, but it’s practice time for the next months.
    Also, I’ve just started pre-retirement, so figuring out how to manage my day all by myself will be a challenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast