Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone sell purses? What do you charge?

Anyone sell purses? What do you charge?

Just curious. Each year our Guild has a booth at a handmade craft show. Members sell their items at this event and this year I thought I would make a few batik purses to sell. It takes about 6 hours to make one. There is probably $30 in materials at "retail" but I have a nice stash of batiks that did not cost me a dime so my cost is minimal . I buy the fusible fleece by the bolt using the famous "coupon" .

Those of you who have sold purses, what has been your experience with pricing them?

Thank you!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I sell the LazyGirl Designs "Margo" Bag. I increase the size by 1, 2 and 3 inches. I sell the original and 1 inch for $45.00. The 2 and 3 inch larger ones I sell for $70. I also include a beaded (handmade by me) zipper pull for that price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahansen44 View Post
    I sell the LazyGirl Designs "Margo" Bag. I increase the size by 1, 2 and 3 inches. I sell the original and 1 inch for $45.00. The 2 and 3 inch larger ones I sell for $70. I also include a beaded (handmade by me) zipper pull for that price.
    i love the idea of the beaded zipper pull!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I sell Bow Tucks for $35..They cost me about $10 to make and 2-3 hours to make..I usually can cut the time, by making multiples at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I sell Bow Tucks for $35..They cost me about $10 to make and 2-3 hours to make..I usually can cut the time, by making multiples at a time

Wow! You are fast!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Not nearly enough. I've tried selling at craft shows and people don't want to pay a reasonable price. The standard is 3X the cost of materials. I've had better luck just selling to friends. Most of them supply everything and then I charge a small amount for my time. I love to make them so that is the fun part. The ones I have sold have usually ranged in the $30 area for a decent size bag with zipper.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I will have a booth in The World's Largest Christmas Bazaar this year and was also wondering what to charge, so I am also following this thread
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    Pattypurple is absolutely right...many people just don't want to pay a fair price for handmade goods. I usually figure my prices at 3 times the actual costs of materials (fabric, notions, etc.), but sometimes you have to lower your prices for your market. I always try to get at least double my costs, less than that and you're giving away your time and talent. I try to buy materials on sale to maximize my profits.

$30 seems pretty low for 2-3 hours of work, plus fabric, since fabric is so high now. I agree that people just don't want to pay a proper price for handmade items. However, they will pay big bucks for a factory-made NOT one-of-a-kind purse in the store. Go figure..............

I meant $35 for 2-3 hours work plus fabric (sorry)

Blog Entries
    depending on the individual purse i sell them from anywhere between $45 & $150= many going for $50 to $70 (the really expensive ones are generally special orders.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    What pattern do most of you use for craft shows/fairs?
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
    I will have a booth in The World's Largest Christmas Bazaar this year and was also wondering what to charge, so I am also following this thread
    Do tell- here is this wonderful sounding show?
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Blog Entries
    I bought a simple purse at a quilt show this spring. It is basically a 6X8 inch sleeve with a long shoulder strap. Lined, but not interlined (no fleece).

The exterior fabric had lots of very small scraps (1/2 inch by 1 inch) under a mesh on both sides with some 1/2 beads on one side too.

No closure on the top.

It is a lovely small bag and I paid all of $10.00 for it. It was a steal. There were other bags in a similar style with closures and some had a pocket on the inside for $5-10 more depending on the details.

I commented when I paid that it was under priced. Yes, it was a simple design, but there was the lining, outer fabric, scraps, mesh and beads, plus the time involved in making it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    I bought a simple purse at a quilt show this spring. It is basically a 6X8 inch sleeve with a long shoulder strap. Lined, but not interlined (no fleece).

The exterior fabric had lots of very small scraps (1/2 inch by 1 inch) under a mesh on both sides with some 1/2 beads on one side too.

No closure on the top.

It is a lovely small bag and I paid all of $10.00 for it. It was a steal. There were other bags in a similar style with closures and some had a pocket on the inside for $5-10 more depending on the details.

I commented when I paid that it was under priced. Yes, it was a simple design, but there was the lining, outer fabric, scraps, mesh and beads, plus the time involved in making it.
    I'd love to see it!! Sounds beautiful!
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    depending on the individual purse i sell them from anywhere between $45 & $150= many going for $50 to $70 (the really expensive ones are generally special orders.
    I'd love to see your purses. Have you posted any on this site? I will do a search!
    sandy
    Sandygirl