Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
does anyone have these needles please watch the video

http://pieceocake.typepad.com/piece-...-quilting.html
I use these all the time to knot and bury threads on the longarm. They wouldn't work well for regular stitching, in my opinion. The ends are so tight the thread frequently breaks just trying to thread the needle! So I only use them if I have plenty of thread to spare, in case it breaks. Otherwise, I use large eyed needles of any sort for burying threads - they all work pretty well.

Debbie in Austin
Old 10-03-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
I'm trying to transfer an applique design from a magazine fold out section and they printed many other patterns on the same fold out. Of course the one I want has the lightest line. It has really been slow going trying to see the correct line. I have a light box but that only helps a little. Any suggestions?
Can you use a piece of clear plastic, like vinyl or something to trace the lines you want - then trace them over to your background? I do this alot. Also perhaps could use Glad Press and Seal or any other product like that you can see through.

Hope this helps,
debbie in Austin
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM

I noticed the seam turn also but maybe because it is on a white background. I made mine 1/4 inch but all the books I read say 3/16th. I have not seen any rulers that show sixteens. Who came up w/that crazy measurement?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Suz

3/16" is between 1/8" and 1/4". Once you get used to cutting the seam allowance, you will be able to eyeball it without using a ruler.

The white background is showing: to correct this, the background would be neatly cut away wherein only the seam allowance would shadow.

This is also true when selecting fabric for backing, particularly when using a thin batting: Choose a fabric that is no darker than the lightest fabric on the top.

Suz
Old 10-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Suz

Are any of you ready for your next applique lesson? I have a few things that I could share.

Suz
Old 10-07-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Suz
3/16" is between 1/8" and 1/4". Once you get used to cutting the seam allowance, you will be able to eyeball it without using a ruler.

The white background is showing: to correct this, the background would be neatly cut away wherein only the seam allowance would shadow.

This is also true when selecting fabric for backing, particularly when using a thin batting: Choose a fabric that is no darker than the lightest fabric on the top.

Suz
Thanks Suz (and everybody else) for all your excellent help. I've decided to take apartment my cat wall hanging that puckered. Disassembling has its own challenges but due to advise I read somewhere (probably here) I finally got the hang of it.

The advise: After cutting the stitches (I cut mine on the back since the front was done in invisible thread) and taking out the large sections (in my case the invisible thread), take a lint brush or tape and run it across all those cut threads.

It really did cut the time down TREMENDOUSLY! Whereas I thought i could only undo two kittens, I ended up undoing 6 in one night.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Suz
Are any of you ready for your next applique lesson? I have a few things that I could share.

Suz
Whatcha got Suz? I've been thinking of doing some table runners but am always ready to hear what you have to say. If nothing else, I collect the material and save it until I can afford to get fabric for things. I also save all the advise you have for us. :)
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Suz

Next lesson, making the heart:

At the bottom point, take an extra stitch to secure the point. I take an extra stitch when making leaves.

At the cleft, cut into the cleft to within a thread or two of the deepest point. Then when stitching, take three extra stitches a little deeper into the cleft. One to the left, one to the right and one in the center. The stitches will look like three little toes. They will show, but will show nicely and neatly. Since there is so little fabric remaining, these deeper stitches will secure and avoid freying.

New heart: this time, using your template, draw the shape on the right of the fabric with a pigma pen. YES, right side, permanent pigma pen. Cut out (1/4" or less seam allowance) and center onto the background. Pin or baste into place. If you want, you can wait and cut into the cleft when you get to it. Use needleturn and use the pen line as your turning line. If done correctly, it will not show.

Always start your applique stitching on a straight side rather than a curve or point.

Please post how you make out. Suz
Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Suz
Next lesson, making the heart:

At the bottom point, take an extra stitch to secure the point. I take an extra stitch when making leaves.

At the cleft, cut into the cleft to within a thread or two of the deepest point. Then when stitching, take three extra stitches a little deeper into the cleft. One to the left, one to the right and one in the center. The stitches will look like three little toes. They will show, but will show nicely and neatly. Since there is so little fabric remaining, these deeper stitches will secure and avoid freying.

New heart: this time, using your template, draw the shape on the right of the fabric with a pigma pen. YES, right side, permanent pigma pen. Cut out (1/4" or less seam allowance) and center onto the background. Pin or baste into place. If you want, you can wait and cut into the cleft when you get to it. Use needleturn and use the pen line as your turning line. If done correctly, it will not show.

Always start your applique stitching on a straight side rather than a curve or point.

Please post how you make out. Suz
ooOOh. Daring indeed with using the Pigma pen. Never thought to use them. What works best for me is drawing on the front (right) side of the fabric and use needleturn. That's how I did that one heart. Never thought to use Pigma Pens though. Sometimes my white marking pencil (water soluable or washout) breaks off too much. I probably have a heavy hand so the pens would be better. I've used regular mechanical pencils also.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Google Goddess

I just found this cute applique ornaments page that you can print out
6 projects (has a cute bear, snowflake, angel, bird, snowman and ornament)

http://www.quiltmaker.com/webextras/...ker/patt39.pdf