Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-01-2010, 06:39 PM

Bonni asked me to post my first appliqued heart. Here it is: our hope is that it might get some others to join "the heart project".

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
Originally Posted by Conniequilts
I was dragged kicking and screaming into applique. Here is the very first thing I tried. The dresden plate. The purple hearts is my project for following along with the "hearts project".

Unfortunately, the dresden is hard to see and I have no closeups.
Yep yep yep. I'll take blame for it. Actually it could be Suz fault. (grins). I was working on the heart project in front of Connie. Those little circles in the middle of the hearts are her pins. I think this will look terrific when it is done.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-117872.jpe  
Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Bonni asked me to post my first appliqued heart. Here it is: our hope is that it might get some others to join "the heart project".

I was dragged kicking and screaming into applique. Here is the very first thing I tried. The dresden plate. The purple hearts is my project for following along with the "hearts project".

Unfortunately, the dresden is hard to see and I have no closeups.
I think your heart turned out great Connie. Keep up the good work.

Yep yep yep. I'll take blame for it. Actually it could be Suz fault. (grins). I was working on the heart project in front of Connie. Those little circles in the middle of the hearts are her pins. I think this will look terrific when it is done.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Oh girls I am so jealous....
I have only been able to glance at my lonely lil sewing rm as I walk by...I work 3 part time jobs and 2 of them get busy this time of the year....{signing} I have a brand new clover iron still in the package...now thats a darn shame...

Bonni you just whipped up your candle holder....lol... I love it and thats exactly what I want to learn. I said I would never ever want to learn applique { I can relate to Connie}...that was before I saw designs likes yours.
Connie I think your dresden plate came out very well, was your first one? also like your lil heart quilt.
Great job!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
I have only been able to glance at my lonely lil sewing rm as I walk by...I work 3 part time jobs and 2 of them get busy this time of the year....{signing} I have a brand new clover iron still in the package...now thats a darn shame...
Awww. Huggs. It will still be there for you and you can rediscover it when it starts to slow down. It's great that you sign! We need more people to help out with that.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 PM

I'm still working on the 20 hearts (about half way to 3/4 done) but saw this candle mat and had to quickly do it. Well almost quickly do it. I fused it last night and now to try and perfect my button hole on it. Want to do tiny stitches this time about half as big as what I am doing with the hearts and closer together. I am thinking that it won't be a candle mat but perhaps a small wall hanging when finished.
Beautiful!! :thumbup:
Old 11-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Hi

Thank you! Yes, that was my first applique/dresden plate. I have a template that makes them very easy :) Just cut and sew.

Maybe you could take a couple minutes of each day to cut something and then carry it in your purse (such as the hearts) and then pull it out wherever you find you have five minutes. Break at work, dr's appt, etc?? Bonni and I keep things at work to work on during lunch.

I hope things settle and slow down for you so you can get back to quilting.

Connie

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Oh girls I am so jealous....

Bonni you just whipped up your candle holder....lol... I love it and thats exactly what I want to learn. I said I would never ever want to learn applique { I can relate to Connie}...that was before I saw designs likes yours.
Connie I think your dresden plate came out very well, was your first one? also like your lil heart quilt.
Great job!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 PM

I love to do applique also!! I feel like it is like painting with fabrics. I have not tried hand just machine and I just love it. can't get enough of it. here are a couple of samples.

the only hand one I did
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118375[/ATTACH]

doll quilt in process
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118376[/ATTACH]

table cloth
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118378[/ATTACH]

My very first applique project
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118380[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-118370.jpe   attachment-118371.jpe   attachment-118373.jpe   attachment-118375.jpe  
Old 11-03-2010, 05:39 AM

Very nice! I love having projects that I can work away from the sewing machine and that are portable. One of these days/months/years I will try and do machine applique again. I wasn't happy with my last results.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:01 AM

This summer I made an applique Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my 5 year old granddaughter. I did it a little differently as I cut out my pieces, turned them under a scant 1/4 inch and basted them. Then, I machine stitched them to the blocks, one block at a time. I stitched very close to the edge of the pieces. I think it came out very nice. I really enjoyed doing this quilt and would take the pieces of the pattern and baste them in my bed while watching TV. I bought no new material for this as I used up materials I had and some of these materials were leftovers from dresses and such that I had sewed for her!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by maryel
This summer I made an applique Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my 5 year old granddaughter. I did it a little differently as I cut out my pieces, turned them under a scant 1/4 inch and basted them. Then, I machine stitched them to the blocks, one block at a time. I stitched very close to the edge of the pieces. I think it came out very nice. I really enjoyed doing this quilt and would take the pieces of the pattern and baste them in my bed while watching TV. I bought no new material for this as I used up materials I had and some of these materials were leftovers from dresses and such that I had sewed for her!
That's so awesome!! I don't have any grandbabies yet but when I do.........