Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Applique on Top of Quilting?

Applique on Top of Quilting?

Has anyone put applique on top of quilting? I got a quilt back from the longarmer, but the outside border still looks "unfinished" to me.

I've only tried fusable applique once. I don't think that would work, but what about needle turn?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you could do needle turn. You don't have to go all the way through all the fabrics. Just grab the top fabric when you turn under the applique. I've done this before because I made a quilt that needed something more.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Power Poster
    Why not? Needle turn applique should work if you can just catch the top layer of fabric. It will be a little trickier to sew them on a finished quilt, maybe work at a table where the quilt's weight is supported but you can do it.

Jim
    I've done this several times....added leaves on one and hearts on another...I didn't want the appliques quilted and on the heart applique quilt I added a little more batting to make the hearts stand out more.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

I am adding wool appliqued daisies to a log cabin quilted top. I did not want any quilting over them or the long armer to have to deal with the flowers. They are huge, about 15 inches across, and will stand out.