Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ARRRGGGGHHHH> Ebay lesson learned >

ARRRGGGGHHHH> Ebay lesson learned

ARRRGGGGHHHH> Ebay lesson learned

Old 04-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grammo013
Is it legal to use the snipes on EBAY?
Not only is it legal, it's part of the fun!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 PM

I wouldn't find sniping fun at all! Fun is knowing you "earned" the bargain. Sniping is like sending someone else to the auction. I would rather lose an item than cheat, which is what I personally consider those types of programs to be.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 PM
kso

Have you tried using an auction sniping program? I like to use hammersnipe.com
Old 04-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ragann63
I wouldn't find sniping fun at all! Fun is knowing you "earned" the bargain. Sniping is like sending someone else to the auction. I would rather lose an item than cheat, which is what I personally consider those types of programs to be.
It not only is NOT cheating (ebay has it's own snipe program), it is using technology to do something for you faster than you can do it yourself. Like the difference between quilting by hand and quilting by machine. Both end up with a finished product but one is faster than another. But then I know that some people don't consider machine quilting "real quilting" either.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by Ragann63
It not only is NOT cheating (ebay has it's own snipe program), it is using technology to do something for you faster than you can do it yourself. Like the difference between quilting by hand and quilting by machine. Both end up with a finished product but one is faster than another. But then I know that some people don't consider machine quilting "real quilting" either.
I was thinking the same thing......

I will snipe the you know what out of an auction if I want something. I like Goodwills auction site I have scored some pretty nice machines for next to nothing and then have someone I know that lives in that city go pick it up for me so I dont have to pay shipping.

Billy
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM

On eBay there is a thing called "Sniper" that puts in the next higher bid automatically. This is quite common. You should always put the highest dollar amount that you are willing to pay when you bid. That way, if you lose, it will be because the price went too high and not because someone else was sitting there waiting for the auction to end.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 AM

try amazon.com for the books/magazines you're looking for :)
Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 AM

That seems to be the way it happens, I don't know how many times that has occurred to me, yes very frustrating.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
For the last week I was the only one bidding on two Mark Lipinski Quilting HOme Mags. Then last night as I watched the countdown.....it went to "0" then I got notes saying I did not win. Someone snuck in at the last second and overbid me by 25 cents. I even had high bids I would go to. I was soooooo..
disappointed. I discovered his mags late and only have 5. Since he left QH I am on a quest to buy whatever I can find. Lesson learned....I can't believe someone did that. I might have to consider it too. I sat here 2 hours waiting ofr other bids so I could go up. I have only bid on Ebay about 20 times. Oh well.
I have some, but I to got them late. I think I have the years before he left.
Send me a pm if you would like me to check if I have ones you don't have.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Thats the way it goes with Ebay......I always put a proxy bid in for the highest I want to go.