Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To assemble or not to assemble, that is the question >

To assemble or not to assemble, that is the question

To assemble or not to assemble, that is the question

Old 03-05-2020, 08:44 PM

I can't stand it, please put them together and show us your stuff.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:21 PM

I don’t have any other unassembled tops.....just having more of a problem than usual motivating myself for some reason. Quilting time is warm weather time for me as I have a nice protected outdoor workspace so I have a few more months to wait for that part which I love!

i think TArtan is correct, pick one and get at it. And break it down in sections as OnebyOne suggests. Maybe once I get started I will get my mojo back!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
The completed blocks will sell well in your estate sale.
bkay
Seriously, bkay, you win the internet today for this quip. So deliciously morbid, just what I love. And so, so true, lol. My son was worried about my syash. I told him if I didn't sell everything before I go, I'll write the ads for him to post, and tell him where to put them. There will be so many happy crafters leaving our house, lol.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:13 AM

going beyond just assembling blocks into a top, I have this situation in lots of areas. Maybe others do too, something we know needs to be done and we procrastinate. My personal solution is to literally shout at myself "what are you, 8 years old?". That usually gives me clarity and impetus for at least a few days Try it!
Old 03-07-2020, 05:25 AM

You can just put the blocks away but if you are like me and once blocks are put away then they never become quilts and completely forgotten about. Is there a guild near you that you could join in on and share you blocks with other members? Or-you could just sew a couple of blocks together each day or week and before you know it you have a quilt top and maybe that would really get you inspired. Good luck
Old 03-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

I never, never, never make all the blocks before I put the quilt together. I build the quilt as I go. As an example, depending on the # of blocks in the quilt, I will make four-patches or nine- patches as the blocks are completed. And then sew four four-patches together, etc., until I have four quarters of the quilt top complete. By the end, I only have a few long seams to sew.

peace

Old 03-08-2020, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I would assemble them, but not press, if the pressing is what stops you. I find that once I put stuff away, I'm unlikely to take it out again any time soon. There is always another quilt I want to make.

So, if you only find pleasure in making blocks, then make blocks. No one said you had to make quilts. The completed blocks will sell well in your estate sale.

That's just my take on the situation, though.

bkay
I agree. I was cleaning up in my sewing room (I know it's a once a millenium thing) and I found some paper pieced blocks I had made about 20 years ago and put away and forgot. I had everything except 2 blocks done and even had backing fabric in the box. I did finish it up, but I'm bad about "out of sight, out of mind"
Old 03-09-2020, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

"The completed blocks will sell well in your estate sale."

Omg that's hilarious!!!