Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Assistance Please >

Assistance Please

Assistance Please

Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 PM

I am making a Mother's Dream quilt for my daughter. I was reviewing the cutting directions and came across this:

Next speed piece the half squares, by stacking the Color 1 and Color 2 3-7/8" x 7-3/4" strips, right sides together and all edges aligned. On the back of the top strip, lightly mark the 3 7/8" square line and mark the diagonals in the direction shown at left. Now sew a SCANT 1/4" above and below the marked diagonals, pivoting at the square lines. Now cut apart ON the marked diagonals, and on the 3-7/8" square line. This will give you four half squares. Press seam allowances towards the darker fabric. Trim these back to measure 3-1/2" if needed. Repeat this with a Color 1 and Color 3 3-7/8" x 7-3/4" strip set to make four more in that color combo...

http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MothersDreamBlock.html

I have never read the instruction "Speed Piece" before. Do these directions make sense to you? I am very visual and am trying to wrap my brain around this.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I haven't heard the term before either (maybe it's made up by quilterscache?) but here is an explanation - http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howtospeedpiecehsts.html
Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Yeah it makes sense, this is basically the "thangles" method without the paper.....your making four half sqaure triangels with each "strip"

Here is what your going to do take your "strips" that it says to use and place them together rights sides together (im sure you get that part. lol then mark them on according to the RED lines in the picture below measuring the distance in it states for each set, then draw the diagnol lines Like the RED ones in the picture below! then SEW on the PURPLE lines...Once all sewing as been done CUT on the RED lines! this will leave you with FOUR half square triangles!

to make the quarter square triangles do the exact same thing as above but.....don't open them up and iron them though, cut the HST in half AGAIN (along the GREEN lines) to make a QUARTER square triangle!

draw on red sew on purple
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185806[/ATTACH]

cut on red AND on green!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185807[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185800.png   attachment-185801.png  
Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 PM

GREAT EXPLAINATION!!! that makes alot of sense to me!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 PM

I was gonna add you don't have to do it this way if you don't want, you can use whatever method you like to make quarter and half square triangles!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

Yes, their description makes total sense. I'd make the strips/blocks a little larger, and then trim to precision for the finished size you require. Makes for much nicer finished work.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 PM

I agree...make them just a tiny bit bigger...maybe about 1/8" and go from there. If you search on here I bet there is a tutorial on how to do them. crafty_linda_b

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Yes, their description makes total sense. I'd make the strips/blocks a little larger, and then trim to precision for the finished size you require. Makes for much nicer finished work.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:36 AM

My guild uses this method frequently for its BOM. It's fast and accurate and is probably one of the better ways to make half square triangles. Next time you see it described this way, it will be no problem!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 AM

Very interesting!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:25 AM

Is it really more accurate than doing the same, but with one set of squares at a time? The pivot seems live a hassle also. Am I wrong?