Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Auch, i cut myself with the rotary cutter; be careful girls

I managed to cut back and forth cause the fabric was trhich and i felt the cutter wasnt sharp enough,,,,, well it mite not be sharp enough for those fabric layers but it was def sharp enough to make an inch wide and half inch deep wound in my knee :oops: :oops: :oops:

In your knee? How did you manage that? OUCH!!!!

Ouch, I finally bought a guard and a suchion handle. I have had too many friends that have cut themselves really bad.

But it wouldn't have helped for the knee. I have the same question. How did you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Ouch, I finally bought a guard and a suchion handle. I have had too many friends that have cut themselves really bad.

But it wouldn't have helped for the knee. I have the same question. How did you do that?
    what kind of a guard?

well i sat while i was cutting cause i have trouble standing and since i didnt feel it cut well enough when i cut from me i tried cutting back and forth and then it just slipped cause i was just a lot more tired than i thought i was :oops: :roll: :wink:

I know i have new blades somewhere,lol.............................

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear of the injury... who says sewing is a safe hobby ? :wink: Take care of that knee
    Sharon

Oh, do be wary of the falling rotary cutters! Hope you cleaned the wound carefully and are getting the rest you need! I think I have seen cautions on heavy machinery that say do not operate if you are taking medication, I think we need them on Rotary cutters as well! Do NOT operate while TIRED! :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Ouch! poor you! I was in a quilt shop in England the other week and the man showed me a tip when cutting - put your little finger off the edge of the ruler on the mat, much less likely to slip. Don't know how you reached your knee though!

K x

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Ouch! poor you! I was in a quilt shop in England the other week and the man showed me a tip when cutting - put your little finger off the edge of the ruler on the mat, much less likely to slip. Don't know how you reached your knee though!

K x
    cause i was sitting not standing :oops:

and yes its very well cleaned and i nearly needed stitches but mums a nurse and used somekind of strips to hold the wound edges close so there will be minimum of scaring but it does really hurt.
    i am so silly and my mum says well i told u so, i told u 2 stop argggggggggggggg :lol:

Dull blades are more dangerous than sharp.LOL

Be careful. Make sure you keep it clean and don't let it get infected!!!
    I used to sit all the time while cutting as well, when I was cutting at my dining room table. Now I have a cutting table and it is at a good height for standing.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    BTW Nina - hope you didn't get blood on your fabric! LOL

K x

It is a clear acrylic guard, that attaches to your ruler. They come in different sizes. I have seen them at different quilt shops. I think I also saw them a Beverly's which is a craft and fabric shop.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    BTW Nina - hope you didn't get blood on your fabric! LOL

K x
    Nope, i was lucky :mrgreen:

PS, shaverg do you have any pics?

I've had several rotary cutter injuries. None as bad as yours sounds. But they hurt! :cry:

I've also tried to sew my finger. Fortunately it didn't break off in my finger - that could've been bad...

Quilting/Sewing is not a safe "sport"...

OUCH! That's no small cut.

DH has always told me a dull knife is more dangerous.

I try to remember to wear shoes when cutting. Don't want to drop the darn thing on my foot!

I know everyone has a fit about it but I still use my wall paper knife for most of my cutting It uses razor blades...I have never cut myself with it...but then my blades are about $10.00 per 100 so I change them often...I have several rotary cutters but darn they get dull fast. I also have nicked my fingers a lot...I'm just use to my little red :D Hope your finger heals fast

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyhope
    I managed to cut back and forth cause the fabric was trhich and i felt the cutter wasnt sharp enough,,,,, well it mite not be sharp enough for those fabric layers but it was def sharp enough to make an inch wide and half inch deep wound in my knee :oops: :oops: :oops:

I did that once, it fell and hit my leg, still have the scar. Nice to know that I am not alone.

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    Ouch!!!! I've cut myself but never my knees.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    Dull blades are more dangerous than sharp.LOL
    This is true.

A sharp blade usually cuts properly the first time.

carrieg - says to wear shoes while cutting - another good idea.

Hope you recover quickly from your cut. At least it was a "clean" cut.

You probably bled profusely.

I cut off the very end of my left middle finger. Still feels weird.

Nina, sorry to hear about your injury! I hope all is well in a few days. I just purchased a new rotary cutter yesterday. Can you believe I broke one? The plastic slide thingy that retracts the blade broke, so the blade was unable to retract. I was so nervous using it that I went out the next day and bought a new one. I like the new one. It's an Olfa with ergonomic handle and the blade retracts automatically!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You are supposed to shave your legs NOT rotary cut them.
    I notice that I don't get good leverage when I sit and cut. If I do, then the blades must be sharp.

Hope you feel better.

I always stress to cut away from you. I don't want anyone committing hari-kari in my presence. I don't do well with blood. They wouldn't want me to faint rather than be able to help them.

Take care of that wound.

Take care and get better soon. Those rotary cutters can be dangerous. I love mine but an about half afraid of it.

My goodness....I hope all is better....next time if you must sit when you cut get you a table at Wal Mart....for 20.00 that is smaller than a card table kinda like a tv try that can adjust to different heights.....that is what I use... a great help when I"m tired....also I use the Olfa rotarys that close when they aren't squeezed.....I go bare footed and use to drop my other ones.....talk about dancing...:-)....glad I have the other kind now ...no worries.....:-)

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    My goodness....I hope all is better....next time if you must sit when you cut get you a table at Wal Mart....for 20.00 that is smaller than a card table kinda like a tv try that can adjust to different heights.....that is what I use... a great help when I"m tired....also I use the Olfa rotarys that close when they aren't squeezed.....I go bare footed and use to drop my other ones.....talk about dancing...:-)....glad I have the other kind now ...no worries.....:-)
    Do u have a picture of it?

i know i need new blades, i will also cut ONLY away from me,lol and i will use less fabric to cut through, its better taking it a bit more slow.

also i need a bigger, better cutting mat, if u have anything to recomend please give me the link( and not to expensive)

and yes i m getting better but it still hurts and the knee itself hurts a lot too, silly daft me :oops: :oops: :oops:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast