Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Awwww.... they're not selling it in the US!

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    Last night I went on Northcott's site to see what new fabrics they are coming out with, and they have a wonderful Stonehenge group with Canadian motifs (maple leaf, moose)... and they are NOT selling it to stores in the US.

Though they did say that if I drive across into Ontario they will sell it to me. And I *was* looking for another reason to spend a couple of days in Toronto (lovely city that it is).

But... the wholesale cost is about 25% more than if I were buying one of their similar fabrics in the US. So I'm not sure I really want to go on this buying trip.

Northcott tells me that the price difference is due to taxes and duty, plus additional transportation costs.

Any Canadians on the forum that know more about this? I'm always curious as to how international commerce works, and what things cost in various places in the world.

I should also mention that the reason they are not selling this to stores in the US is that this is after all a Canadian collection, and if they were selling to the US (at regular US prices) then the US stores would have an unfair advantage over the Canadian stores. And this is completely understandable. Disappointed though I am, if Northcott did not take this policy all the Canadian shops would be terribly upset with them!
    Cute fabric - guess we can't have everything! Dang!
    Love 4 stchen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwitch View Post
    I love the colors and pattern. Who is Northcott's designer for the pattern? I didn't see it on the Northcott website or on QOC-CA website.
    I checked Northcott's QOV site (http://www.northcott.net/?sid=2&layo...12&colorid=864)
    and followed the links to the pattern here: http://quiltwoman.com/A-Flare-For-Sq...t-Pattern.aspx . It is not a free pattern. The Northcott site also shows two other quilt designs using these beautiful fabrics. (The name on the initial posting is for the fabric designer.)
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

I have been attracted to the Stonehenge line since I first saw it and have been collecting parts of the line. It just doesn't seem fair that there would be a separate Canadian. I can understand maybe not having as much available in the States, but really??? I just visited the Northcot page and they have at least one of these posted: http://www.northcott.net/?sid=2&layo...abric&fabid=17
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

This line is great and I will call my local store to see if they will be carrying it.

It is amazing how many fabrics the Canadian stores aren't allowed to order from the USA wholesalers so I must admit it is kind of fun for me to be on the opposite end of the availability for a change. No offence intended.

Well, anyone who wants it in the USA can always do what we've been doing for years now - order on-line from a Canadian store and have it shipped across the line. Just be prepared to pay a lot in shipping as our rates are ugly. The other option is to have a Canadian friend buy some and send it to you but, once again, our postal rates will hurt, a lot.

And to think that Northcott's QOV launch was in your 'hood, W4Me!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Well, an $80 ferry ride away - one way.

Darn islands and the problems they create!

Wonderful fabrics, but I think the decision-makers at Northcott have drunk the Kool-Aid and contracted a severe case of political correctness. Maybe I just won't buy any of their fabrics in future. Sheez....

Blog Entries
    I love the moose.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Quote Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
    Wonderful fabrics, but I think the decision-makers at Northcott have drunk the Kool-Aid and contracted a severe case of political correctness. Maybe I just won't buy any of their fabrics in future. Sheez....
    **b*l*i*n*k**

So I live a short ferry ride from Canada couldnt we trade some bring us some Canadian fabric and we will give you American fabric that you cant get LOL

Blog Entries
    cute fabrics
    ♥ Craftybear♥ Google Goddess Surfing Queen of Links ♥
    http://quiltingforbeginners.blogspot.com/
    http://quiltinglibraryworldwide.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jayelee View Post
    So I live a short ferry ride from Canada couldnt we trade some bring us some Canadian fabric and we will give you American fabric that you cant get LOL
    Meet you in the St. Lawrence!

What nice fabric. I love the one with the moose.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I have ordered a bit of each with extra of moosie. Since these won't arrive until some time in June I placed another order for some Halloween fabric and a dragon. (My two biggest weaknesses.) I should see them next week.

I dealt with Along Came Quilting in Alberta on-line. Save $2.50 per meter before May 15. They don't bill the credit card until the items ship and they emailed me to let me know they expect the fabric to arrive in June. So far, excellent service and they ship all over the world so, you CAN get the fabric if you want it.

I ordered some Halloween and dragon fabric from Along Came Quilting in Alberta. Excellent service and the fabric arrived yesterday. It is even better than the photos on the site.

If you want the Oh Canada fabrics, I highly recommend Along Came Quilting. I knew going in that the Oh Canada fabrics wouldn't ship for a while but they sent me an email making sure I was aware of it. That was a nice touch. And the shipping came in under the expected price.
    http://www.alongcamequilting.com/home.aspx

Thanks for the link to that quilt shop. I'm going to Calgary in a few weeks, and I'll have to check it out!

Hummm?? Northcott must not think that the US has any Moose or Oak Trees!!

Quote Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
    Hummm?? Northcott must not think that the US has any Moose or Oak Trees!!
    Oak Trees? ... those are maple leaves!
    If you look further, DAC048 you will note that the fabric line is in support of QOV-Canada, so IMHO that's a perfect reason Northcott has made it exclusive to Canada.

And then there's how many fabrics that have been exclusive to the USA? ... that were not available in our Canadian stores?

W4Me ... what a terrific outcome to your order!!! It's always nice to get something that's even nicer than one expects ... and with excellent customer service and speedy delivery, to boot. Looks like you have found a winning shop!!!! Now, you'll be even more excited as you wait for your darling meese to arrive ... and will be thinking of all sorts of uses for them!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    One thing I have noticed in the fabric industry is how much COPYING goes on!

So look what I just found this morning. A "future" fabric that also has moose, and leaves, and a "marble/stone" look to it.

Canadians, I know this is not the red maple leaf... but, if you don't need a "literal interpretation", maybe this one is nice too.

What do you think? (This one *will* be sold in the US!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not all our maple leaves are red! And those are more realistic looking than many of the depictions we see (including our flag).

As for the copying ... isn't that done in pretty much every industry? Look at all the knock-offs in the fashion industry. And of course, the seasonal trends, one follows the other.

That's going to be a lovely fabric too ... what manufaturer? And are there different colour ways? I can see it as a backing for a quilt.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    This fabric is by Paintbrush Studio, which is the quilt-shop-only division of Fabri-Quilt.

About a year ago, they came up with a group called "Marblehead", which is a group of stone-look fabrics that were probably inspired by Northcott's popular "Stonehenge" group. So... I guess I'm not too surprised that they were also looking at Northcott's lines this season, and realized that the moose/maple leaf print would be a good one to copy too. This is sufficiently different than the Northcott QOV one... and I like the green leaves. I think they would work into most people's decor more easily. There is only one colorway.

It's from a collection called "Marblehead Northern Woods" and you can see the entire collection here:
    http://www.checkerdist.com/products/...f_a=1&f_v=P100

Oddly enough, none of the other fabrics in this collection are jumping out at me as being perfect coordinates for this one!

Thanks for the link ... the green to the right of it looks like a perfect corodinate. And likely the browns. I have the feeling that the online colour depictions are probably very poor vs. IRL

The BIG difference to the Northcott QOV ... is that with the red maple leave, Northcott's says Cnada whereas this one is more generic and woodsie. It'll be coming out at a perfect time for the quilter of the family to pick up ... while the hunter of the family is off in search of the winter's food!

I like them both ... and see them for totally different usages.

I see them for different uses as well. The QOV Oh Canada line for patriotic and the Paintbrush Studio line for a woodsy themed quilt, mabe for a games room or cottage or cabin or just an outdoors person's quilt/wall hanging. Maybe even an apron for the bbq'er. Make your guests wonder just what meat they are being served. lol

Sorry, last day of work then 6 days off and I think I'm a little giddy.

Thanks for sharing the fabric.

When I order from US I never have to pay duty on fabric. That said I'm not buying wholesale. I will be looking for this fabric in the stores. If anyone is interested I could send links to some Canadian stores that ship to US

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast