Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Awwww.... they're not selling it in the US! >

Awwww.... they're not selling it in the US!

Awwww.... they're not selling it in the US!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 AM

Northcott is a Canadian based company. Does not make sense except prices are a little higher there.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
Last night I went on Northcott's site to see what new fabrics they are coming out with, and they have a wonderful Stonehenge group with Canadian motifs (maple leaf, moose)... and they are NOT selling it to stores in the US.

Though they did say that if I drive across into Ontario they will sell it to me. And I *was* looking for another reason to spend a couple of days in Toronto (lovely city that it is).

But... the wholesale cost is about 25% more than if I were buying one of their similar fabrics in the US. So I'm not sure I really want to go on this buying trip.

Northcott tells me that the price difference is due to taxes and duty, plus additional transportation costs.

Any Canadians on the forum that know more about this? I'm always curious as to how international commerce works, and what things cost in various places in the world.

I should also mention that the reason they are not selling this to stores in the US is that this is after all a Canadian collection, and if they were selling to the US (at regular US prices) then the US stores would have an unfair advantage over the Canadian stores. And this is completely understandable. Disappointed though I am, if Northcott did not take this policy all the Canadian shops would be terribly upset with them!
I have long bemoaned the fact that fabrics are ALWAYS more expensive here in Canada. Those of us on modest incomes have to wait for a sale or order most of our fabrics from the states as I do. We have high import duties here and fabric is no different. I can't think of anything that is cheaper here in Canada. I think is partially due to the fact that across the board we have more public services that need to be paid for. We cetainly don't have a large garment/fabric industry that needs to be protected.
HOWEVER, I think its rather demeaning that the only symbols of Canada that are ever portrayed are the moose, the mountie and the maple leaf. We have so much more. When I travel to the states a great number of native groups are also represented. I had a visitor who was looking for Canadian symbols and was disappointed. She wanted Inuit, Haida and the other native groups so rich in animal totems and mythologies as are the Navaho and other southern groups. (My personal beef ladies.)
Canadians who shop in the states just shiver with anticipation whenever the dollar drops to par.
MaryKatherine
Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by favorite fabrics View Post
last night i went on northcott's site to see what new fabrics they are coming out with, and they have a wonderful stonehenge group with canadian motifs (maple leaf, moose)... And they are not selling it to stores in the us.

Though they did say that if i drive across into ontario they will sell it to me. And i *was* looking for another reason to spend a couple of days in toronto (lovely city that it is).

But... The wholesale cost is about 25% more than if i were buying one of their similar fabrics in the us. So i'm not sure i really want to go on this buying trip.

Northcott tells me that the price difference is due to taxes and duty, plus additional transportation costs.

Any canadians on the forum that know more about this? I'm always curious as to how international commerce works, and what things cost in various places in the world.

I should also mention that the reason they are not selling this to stores in the us is that this is after all a canadian collection, and if they were selling to the us (at regular us prices) then the us stores would have an unfair advantage over the canadian stores. And this is completely understandable. Disappointed though i am, if northcott did not take this policy all the canadian shops would be terribly upset with them!
i think they are being completely unfair to you and every one else who wants to buy the fabric.i live in campton,ky and i just love it also.they are just hurting them selves no sale no money.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 AM

Awe, what pretty fabrics!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 AM

THat is a beautifil fabric line
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 AM

Dang -- beautiful fabrics in just my colors!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

First of all a huge hip hip hooray for this Canadian line of fabric!

I'm excited to see that it's soon to come and even more so, because with it being Northcott/Stonehenge we already know that it'll be a quality fabric. I will confess, I am a little disappointed that it is a cream, not white, being that our flag is white! Though I'll quickly look past that knowing that it'll be a quality fabric.

To put things into perspective ... I'm sure there's been many times that fabric lines have been made only for the USA market, unavailable to we Canadians and others around the world. So what's wrong with this being exclusive to Canada? Besides, the red maple leaf is representative of Canada, so again, I ask, why not?

Additionally, I noted it's tag re QOV Canada. I'm sure this is a first!! And on reading the background story on the QOV site, I see that a portion of the sales will go to QOV Canada. Hurrah for all, and the support to QOV-Ca!! I'm sure we'll see more awareness to this group as a result of this fabric line, with challenges to donate a completed project.

You mentioned 25% more at wholesale ... As GingerK mentioned, our fabrics are generally more costly here, than for you in the USA, so chances are the price difference is no different than normal. Specialty lines are often at a further higher price, which could be part of the equation too. I'm sure that often is the case in the USA as well. It'll be interesting to see what the retail price for us will be.

ITA with MaryK that it'd be nice to see more Canadian themed fabrics including our native heritage. However, with the smaller population and then narrowed further by the fewer quilters/sewers and the small fabric/garment/sewing industry, and then narrowed again by those interested in using such fabrics, I think we can easily see why these don't appear. And if/when they do, because of the shorter runs, that the prices would become higher than many realistically would pay. Compound that by the ability to get imported products for considerably lower prices, due to mass production and significantly lower wages.

I won't get into the cross-border discussion as IMHO it comes close to the no-no re discussing religion and politics!!

As for me ... I'm sending an email off to my LQS to see if she has ordered this line, and asking if she'll accept my pre-order!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 AM

I love the colors and pattern. Who is Northcott's designer for the pattern? I didn't see it on the Northcott website or on QOC-CA website.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by goodwitch View Post
I love the colors and pattern. Who is Northcott's designer for the pattern? I didn't see it on the Northcott website or on QOC-CA website.
It's included in the fabric pic in the first post of this thread ... and also the same pic and labelling is on the Northcott site.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 AM

Oh these are beautiful! You don't have to be Canadian to appreciate these.