Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baby Girl Quilt Ideas?

Baby Girl Quilt Ideas?

Hi everyone, I just got the cutest fat quarter bundle called Sweet Baby Girl by Riley Blake.
    I want to make a quilt for my new granddaughter (soon-to-be) and the fabrics are so
    cute I don't want to cut them too small.
    I've never made a baby quilt in all my years of quiltmaking so if you have any ideas I would
    love them.
    TIA
    Susie

I usually pick a color the mom wants and just make up blocks. Sometimes I use the churn dash as the center can be a focus print that will show off the fabric. but sounds like you have a variety so just go with it. Have fun

Blog Entries
    I saw this on FB the other day and someone remarked that this would be good for fabrics that you don't want to cut too small https://www.connectingthreads.com/th...mpaign=PPCGNBS
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Believe it or not my daughter-in-law loves pink!!! I'm thrilled since all my babies were boys
    Nancy, I love that pattern!! It's modern which I think my kids would like and it offers large cuts of fabric. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    You're welcome, Susie. I put it on my bucket list!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Nancy, I just ordered it!!! Many thanks

Show it when done, ok ?

Those are darling fabrics, Susie, and such a lovely pattern! So exciting, sewing your first baby quilt for your first grandchild!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Oh yes, I will show it when I'm done!
    I'm so excited as you can imagine!

Blog Entries
    How exciting for you Susie. Somewhere along the way I printed a pattern called Happy Day where some of the squares are cut at 9 1/2”. I’m not sure if it is FQ friendly...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/154740937179523107/
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

jmoore- thank you! That looks fat quarter friendly to me and it's a really cute pattern!

For a fast baby quilt I like to make the Falling Charms quilt. You can make it any size you like.

https://www.ask.com/youtube?q=fallin...&v=9_6AEKTi6r0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4KkpbF...l=0&autoplay=1

Thank you, Jennr8r- you know I'll be making more than one !!

Nan, thank you for that link, and jmoore, that's another wonderful idea.

Looks like you have a lot of cute ideas SusieQOH. I really love the tutorial on "Tumbling Charms". That would be darling too with your cute fabrics. Good luck and share with us when you have a quilt finished.

Thanks to all, I have some wonderful patterns to choose from

Here's one that I've bookmarked with the idea that someday it would be a great baby quilt pattern that preserves bigger pieces of fabric. I was thinking I-spy, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be that: https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail...prod_id=134319

So happy for you that you have this special event to anticipate!
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Here's the version I wanted to show you: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535435...07036/?lp=true
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Can't resist adding this one, too - specifically calls for fat quarters: https://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/as...reePattern.pdf

I have two wonderful grandsons, but of course have also hoped for a granddaughter, which is extremely unlikely to happen at this point, but before we knew they would be boys, I spent a lot of time thinking about girl quilts, too.

Rose- thank you so much!!! They are both wonderful patterns!!! As I said I'll be making more than one quilt for my little darling haha!
    All 3 of my babies were boys so this little girl is going to be so much fun! I would have been just as thrilled for a boy though. Maybe next?? Who knows? Our family seems to only have one gender except my parents who had 2 of each.
    Last edited by SusieQOH; 05-12-2019 at 11:38 AM.

I really like Elizabeth Hartman't patterns. Another great option is Patchwork Pals from Quiltmaker.

This is the last girl baby quilt that I made and it was so much fun. Yes, it's just strips but if you have a nice pattern it still works
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Nanna, that's adorable!!! It's way more than "just strips"!!
    My kids would love cats in that quilt!

Thanks, SusieQ. I'm sure there are tons of cat blocks that would work for this. The owl blocks were from a potholder pattern and I just put them with the strips and added the piano key border. I gave this one to my great niece. I like it so much I plan on making another.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Rose- thank you so much!!! They are both wonderful patterns!!! As I said I'll be making more than one quilt for my little darling haha!
    All 3 of my babies were boys so this little girl is going to be so much fun! I would have been just as thrilled for a boy though. Maybe next?? Who knows? Our family seems to only have one gender except my parents who had 2 of each.
    Susie, I just wanted to share something my step-granddaughter told me. (She loves her grandmother and this is not a slam on Grandma, as DGD was just sharing.) She said her grandmother (who sews) always wanted to dress her up in ruffles, lace and pink. That was not her style, but she didn't want to offend, so never told her grandmother. Her grandmother also had three boys.

I'm not one of those ruffles and lace kind of women, so I wanted to share.

Congrats on the upcoming baby. I hope you have more.

bkay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast