Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby lock Evolve serger >

Baby lock Evolve serger

Baby lock Evolve serger

Old 02-21-2015, 04:31 PM

Default Baby lock Evolve serger

I am interested in purchasing a serger. My LQS has a Babylock Evolve for 1,100. They say it is approx 6 yrs old, it is on consignment. It has air threading which is something I would like, it also does cover stitch and is a 5 thread machine. I am not sure how much they cost when new, however the person at the store told me 3,000. I did not find this price supported in the posts I have read about this particular machine. Is this too much money for this machine? They were not willing to provide lessons and there were no extra feet. Thanks you in advance.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:41 PM

I have the imagine, yikes, I guess I don't know how old it is but I do recall it was 999. I would say it is at least ten years old or more....

It is a work horse and worth every penny!!
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 PM

After having a variety of sergers, Babylock is the best for not only threading, but the stitches are perfect with little or no adjusting. Go to the following site (there are several pages of Babylock reviews) for great reviews and prices of machines. http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-...ofuzzy=1&pn=19
Old 02-21-2015, 07:08 PM

Evolutions are going for about 3k now so that seems steep for an evolve but 1100 does seem like a reasonable price for a used one if they give additional warranty and lessons
Old 02-21-2015, 09:41 PM

I have an Evolve, purchased it in either 07 or 08, have to look at the paperwork. At that time, with a trade in I paid 1700. and it was brand new. I rarely use it, I actually had my mom's serger (she passed away in March of 07) and I just had to have a air thread serger. I don't do regular sewing, just quilting, so I really don't know why I even bothered. Have been thinking of selling it. I have everything, even the extra feet. My Evolve is an 8 thread machine but you said the one you were looking at is a 5 thread, I don't understand why there would be a difference there. Anyway, I seriously want to sell it, haven't used it in nearly 4 years now, it's been packed up in its original box. I don't even think they make Evolve anymore because so many new and improved models have come out in the past couple of years. I was going to ask my BabyLock dealer about him trying to sell it for me. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:52 AM

The Evolve's designation was BLE8, which leads me to believe it was always an 8 thread. There is a Diana which is a 5 thread. That's about the price for a Diana.

I remember when the Imagine (I have one) came out and the Evolve came out at the same time. It was an 8 thread.
Just looked through the BL Manuals and the Evolve was an 8 thread.
http://babylock.com/downloads/manuals/
Old 02-22-2015, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I bought my Babylock over 15 years ago and have hardly ever used it. Make sure before you pay that price for a used one that you definitely have numerous projects that you will use it on. I never like the bulky seams when piecing a quilt.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Evolve ,is a 8 thread. I paid 1600. + something From e - bay. Nothing extra. At the time I could of brought from dealer, maybe came away with 6 pcs foot package. For 1700. A lot of money,but every time I use it,I say what a great machine! And I haven't even touched the possibilities of what it can do. The extra work books area really helpful. This was my first serger,and I never used one before. There are some newer models of the evolve,check their website out. You didn't mention condition, feet are very expensive. And to my surprise,the value on e-bay for mine is still what I paid. Sometimes a little less, sometimes more. There are two older models the never one has the wave stitch. Then the newest one has some extra features,with the air.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:41 PM

I have the Evolve. it was a gift from hubby so I don't know what it was new, but it was several yrs ago.
I thought i didn't love it, but now that i am retired and have more time to use it, i love it.
I did but the workbook and consult it before any new things to try.
I do mostly use the 3 thread but it can do 8 threads at a time. it does have the wave stitch as someone mentioned.
$1100 seems a little deep for a used one, IMO. each additional foot is a little pricey. but it does so much more than my older serger which I still have and use sometimes.