Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: baby panel from joann, how do you finish it?

baby panel from joann, how do you finish it?

http://www.joann.com/nursery-fabric-...prd_11893005a/

I got this at joann today, it was a remnant. Do you quilt it?
    just back it and bind it?
    I guess I was lucky, I paid $5 for it. Low enough price to practice on it.

There's no indication on the web site as to the size. Do you want to use it as a wall hanging or a quilt? You would need to quilt it to keep it from bunching after being washed.

Power Poster
    ​It would depend on how big it is. It would look sweet as a baby quilt with some pink and white striped border fabric.

You could use batting and backing and quilt it, or you can just back it with flannel and make a receiving blanket out of it. I'd still stitch around the birds, or even simpler would be to just do straight seams on the lines, faux stitch in the ditch. Either way will be cute.

Assuming it's 36" wide, I would add borders (~5" each side) then backing and batting and quilt it. You can just add backing and batting if you want.

I would put a flannel backing. I found a real cute white flannel with pink butterflies, flowers and green leaves at Joann's. Would be real cute with this panel. I think a receiving blanket would be nice. I agree with the previous poster stating that a linear stitch around the boxes would be nice and a butterfly pattern around the edge would be sweet. I personally couldn't do the butterfly (not practiced enough to do curves) then you might try small diamonds around the edge.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would pre-wash first then prepare to quilt. batt, back and bind. however you want to do it.

Blog Entries
    That is really cute! No matter what you do to finish, it will be great!

I practice my quilting on them...I couldn't see the one you posted, but if there are things to stitch around it makes them pop out and the I used meandering stitching in the open spaces...sometimes I use them for gifts or donate them.

I would add borders and quilt it. It is very cute!

Very cute - I also would add borders (pink stripe would be really cute) and then quilt.

I would also add borders, quilt it and maybe bind it in a chocolate brown.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Since its flannel I guess I should wash it first. Would it shrink the same if I just soak it in warm water and throw it in the dryer?

I have done several panels for baby gifts and add 1, 2 or 3 borders in progressively larger sizes, then quilt and bind.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

pal
    I'd make it into a wall panel. Batting and binding, sewing around the birds. Add silk flowers over the printed flowers, silk leaves over the printed leaves, a black bead over each eye, little happy feathers over the tail feathers, and maybe little satin bows either on the top of bird's head or by neck. I'd make it so happy looking!!!!! Oh, and a little pink dowel and sleeve, with a pink pom-pom on the ends of the dowel. How's that for happy!
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

I would add a border and do an applique of the flowers and maybe add the baby's name...
    Kitty

I love these panels. If they are not the size I want, I add borders to enlarge them. I then sandwich them and quilt generally quilting around the figures. They go up fast and a good way to practice your free motion quilting. You did get a good deal on this.

I love these panels. If they are not the size I want, I add borders to enlarge them. I then sandwich them and quilt generally quilting around the figures. They go up fast and a good way to practice your free motion quilting. You did get a good deal on this. Sometimes they are in the remnant bin because someone didn't cut them straight so you will have to straighten it to be square.

I purchased a panel, then bordered it with 3 colors found in the panel to make it big enough to be a crib sized quilt. Then I layered the batting and backing; from there I quilted only around the various rectangular patterns in the panel. My binding was self bound from the backing. It turned out quite well.

That is so cute and if you got it for $5 when listed much higher, what a bargain. I know that whatever you do will be great.