Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BabyLock Jewel or Crown Jewel?  Opinions please..... >

BabyLock Jewel or Crown Jewel? Opinions please.....

BabyLock Jewel or Crown Jewel? Opinions please.....

Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Default BabyLock Jewel or Crown Jewel? Opinions please.....

Hello everyone. I'm on my second quilt using my Bernina 820 on my Grace Pinnacle quilt frame. All is going beautifully with my Bernina's great 12" arm and stitch regulator, but I'm finding the visibility of the needle area compromised by the machine's bulk. I'm thinking seriously about selling the Bernina 820 and using the money toward a new BabyLock Crown Jewel (quoted about $6500, so I'd have to sell the Bernina and then save for a while), or using the money for a used BabyLock Jewel (I've seen these prices across the board....$3000 to $5500). I'm looking for input from anyone experienced with the Crown Jewel or Jewel, preferrably both. (I know many of you will advise not to give up the Bernina, since it's such a dream machine. I do love the Bernina, but I'm happy doing my piecing and binding on my Bernina 240, which I also love. I do almost no fancy stitching, so the 240 would be adequate.) Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me work through this.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM

I have had a Babylock (not the Crown Jewel) for 2 years and love it.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Well I can be no help to you since the Bernina 820 is the machine I have been dreaming of having. I have an old Bernina 910 which I love, but it is nothing like the 820. I am going to The Road to California Quilt Show this next week and will be taking a machine quilting class. I am hoping to use the 820 and maybe, if the price is right, buy one at the end of the show.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM

Roselady, I have no doubt you'll love the 820, and if it's in the budget, then go for it. We only live once, and it's important to feed our soul as well as our body....the artistic nature of quilting does that, at least for me.