Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: back to square one with machine purchase

First timer on any kind of chat room situation, but a problem has arisen and here I am. I have a 7 year old Bernina Patchwork edition. Nine months ago, it crashed - the motherboard died - and it was in the shop for THREE MONTHS. I am working on a new quilt today, and lo and behold, the foot control doesn't stop when I take my foot off, I need to make a skimpy 1/4" seam, and the needle won't move, and finally, as if that wasn't/isn't enough, it is now only doing a zig zag stitch when it it set for straight sewing. It's back to the dealer again tomorrow morning, and I am angry. I bought a Kenmore machine in 1968 that I've had cleaned TWICE in 45 years, it runs like a trooper. What's up with these way expensive machines that don't work after 7 years? HELP! Has anybody else had an issue like this? Maybe it's just me???? And then, searching tonight before finding/registering on this site, I found a "fix it yourself" site which I'm inclined to peruse, but my husband, sitting next to me, says no, don't go there.
    What to do?????

You can't go wrong with a Babylock.

Check out ebay too
    Kathy

Purchased my Viking Lily used and I love it. It's a very user friendly computerized machine and on the used market, the price is around $500. You should check them out.

Do some research on the Janome 6300.. I believe it is the same as the 6600 but with fewer bells and whistles..Less the a $1000 too. I went to my Janome dealer looking for a new machine and also couldn't afford the price on the 6600, the dealer here Never, mentioned or suggested the 6300 as a alternative. After much research I purchased the 6300 on Ebay and am very happy with it.
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

You need to find another Janome dealer! I bought mine 2 years ago for $1300, including the extra accufeed feet. I did not get the table. They should be less than that, now that the 7700's are out.

Look into used or floor models. There have been alot of new machines come out recently which would mean you should get a great deal on the floor models. And of course folks are trading in their old machines for the newer models. Normally there is nothing wrong with either type of machine, just newer models taking their place. Good luck in your search.
    Amythyst

Sorry about that Janome dealer. If there are any other ones close, try them because most of them have the ability to adjust their own pricing. Just a thought.
    Charlie

I would stay with the Bernina. After having a Bernina I don't think you would be satisfied with anything else.
    Check out the Bernina dealers online. There maybe someone that carries Bernina you were not aware of.
    You can always buy a used Bernina, more affordable. Also older models have less bells and whistles.

I replaced my Pfaff with a Brother. I am very happy with the machine.Why not give the Brother machines a look?

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I have had Brother machine and still do have 2. I have very little problem with them, one I am taking in for service as it hasn't been in 5 years so it will need some cleaning. I just found a Riccar that I had and not sure why I switched to Brother after the Riccar, but glad I did. I had a kenmore for 20 years, and that was the very good machine, next to the Brother machines. I like the Brother reliability for sure ..
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Wow, after reading the blog on pet peaves and noticing the number one complaint is running out of bobbin thread and not knowing it, Im glad I have a drop in bobbin.
    I can see when my bobbin thread is low.

Are you planning on FMQ on your machine? If not, the Janome Jem Platinum 760 is a great little machine -- price last time I checked is less than $600. -- It's too small for quilting anything other than a lap quilt though. I've had mine for over 5 yrs and it's a real workhorse - never given me problems.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
    Went to Janome dealer this am and test-drove the 6600. It was ok. Has a lot of bells and whistles that I will most likely not use. And the dealer wouldn't budge from the 1600 price. I need to replace my Bernina 930. May go back to the Bernina dealer to explore other options. My budget is $1000.....fancy stitches are not required. Any advice on where to start??? I didn't really care for the Bernina dealer when I stopped by a few months ago-she just pushed the $4000 QE, and I made it perfectly clear it was out of my budget. Unfortunately,only one dealer in this area.............sigh.
    Just purchased floor model Brother 950D. Lots of stitches and even has 4x4 Embroidery Hoop. Floor model was 549, New in Box would be 799. This is my second Brother and Love, absolutely Love my Brother.

Smile Let me ditto this post.

[QUOTE=DawnFurlong;4897449]I had been researching the same thing. I wasn't overly impressed with the 6600, did have a Viking Sapphire turn my head - but I already have a machine that has over 200 decorative stitches that I never use. I really considered what it was I was needing. For me the answer was a larger harp space and great straight stitch. Juki and Brother owners seem to love their straight stitch machines, by and large. I am going to go with the Brother PQ1500s. I was able to test drive one at a local dealer. However, their price is at least $300 above, depending on if they are running a sale or not, than what I can find online (both Amazon and AllBrands sell this same machine). I have searched the threads and the vast majority of people who have bought from AllBrands are very happy with their purchases and service. I like Amazon, but last I checked, their price was a little higher than AllBrands as well. I am also happy that the machine will be so straight forward, there really isn't a lot to go wrong with it. I anticipate it serving me well for many years! Price online from AllBrands - $599 plus free shipping, no tax.

I too bought this machine from AllBrands. I am very pleased with it. I have a Bernina440 which I love to sew on but wanted a machine with a larger harp to do quilting. It is amazing how much easier those few inches make things. I like the larger harp, the auto thread cutter, and the strong motor. My only issue was the walking foot that came with the machine does not have a place in the back to put a quilt guide. I solved that by getting a Janome high shank walking foot. I even used the Brother to paper piece a spider web quilt. The auto thread cutter saved me lots of time and effort not to mention thread. So if you have a high end machine or don't want one this is a great buy. If I had to do over however I would have spent the extra one-hundred dollars to get the needle adjustment feature. But it is not a big deal. I like the pin feed feature and am planning on using it with some faux leather handbags.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

I don't know where you are located but in Michigan we have several sewing machine stores. I usually get a Viking and have good service if I ever need it. I have the very expensive embroidery machine and one under $700 that I also use. Viking products seem to be very dollar worthy machines and seldom need anything other than cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
    I too bought this machine from AllBrands. I am very pleased with it. I have a Bernina440 which I love to sew on but wanted a machine with a larger harp to do quilting. It is amazing how much easier those few inches make things. I like the larger harp, the auto thread cutter, and the strong motor. My only issue was the walking foot that came with the machine does not have a place in the back to put a quilt guide. I solved that by getting a Janome high shank walking foot. I even used the Brother to paper piece a spider web quilt. The auto thread cutter saved me lots of time and effort not to mention thread. So if you have a high end machine or don't want one this is a great buy. If I had to do over however I would have spent the extra one-hundred dollars to get the needle adjustment feature. But it is not a big deal. I like the pin feed feature and am planning on using it with some faux leather handbags.
    kellen46 - got a quick question since you have purchased the machine I am planning on purchasing. You mention spending an extra $100 to get the needle adjustment feature. On this same machine? I hadn't seen anything about this - so was wanting more information as I haven't yet purchased the machine. Having the ability to adjust the needle would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

There might be a simple fix for your good old Bernina.

[QUOTE=jillmc;4900394]Thanks for all ! I did some stitching today on my old Bernina, and I just love the machine! Even tho she doesn't stop sewing when I let up on the foot pedal, and the decorative stitches no longer work......and a few other "minor" problems. I am going to search for a used Bernina. I already have a ton of feet, including a walking foot...so I hope I can use them on a newer machine. I am used to sewing on this machine, and the Janome 6600 seemed so complicated when the staff member was showing me how to change feet, change bobbins for FMQ, etc. I have posted a wanted ad on CL for a few weeks.....no luck so far, but I will keep renewing the ad. Perhaps the dealer has some used machines that were traded in during the holidays...........will keep you posted!

By any chance....is your old Bernina 830 Record? I have this machine and had this problem. It was not the machine but the foot pedal. So you might have an inexpensive fix. Take it in for a complete cleaning and diagnostic. I have a local Babylock dealer who will work on non computerized Bernina's. ( The Bernina Dealer is 3hours away over the mountains) He fixed it so good that the cams for the decorative stitches now do work and so does the motor speed. The cost was about $100. For some reason I have had to have the foot pedal replaced now two times. But since I bought the machine back in 1973 that is not too bad. It still runs wonderful. By the way the older feet will not work on the newer machines. I also have a 440 which is now my main machine and the 830Record is in honorable retirement and my back up machine.
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    1. Kindness counts.

I love my Babylock Quilter's Choice Professional that is like the Juki Semi-Professional... only straight stitches ... knee lift ... cutter ... threader ... needle up/down ... drop feed dogs and many feet. I paid $950 in 2005. It has a 9" throat. You can slowly step it through one stitch at a time or run it at the high speed of a long arm machine. I've done a queen sized quilt on it, but now use it for smaller quilts and microstippling using a #70 needle and #100 silk thread...love, love, love it for this type of work. I have a Nolting mid-arm which is set into a table where I push the quilt under the needle which I now use for bigger quilts. http://www.babylock.com/sewing/quilt...-professional/

Quote Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
    kellen46 - got a quick question since you have purchased the machine I am planning on purchasing. You mention spending an extra $100 to get the needle adjustment feature. On this same machine? I hadn't seen anything about this - so was wanting more information as I haven't yet purchased the machine. Having the ability to adjust the needle would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
    Look on the AllBrands site and it is the same machine with the extra feature at $699. I found that AllBrands was very responsive to emails and can help you with any questions. They are good folks to work with.
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    1. Kindness counts.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
    Look on the AllBrands site and it is the same machine with the extra feature at $699. I found that AllBrands was very responsive to emails and can help you with any questions. They are good folks to work with.
    Thanks!!! I have seen that machine, will have to look closer at the extra features. I, too, have found AllBrands to be very responsive. Had a question about this machine. There responded quickly and were very nice. Can't wait to order mine! Just waiting to make my last payment on tires for my car - and that will happen in February. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine George View Post
    I've had my Viking Rose since 1999 and it's still a great machine. All metal, heavy, it'll stay with you stitch after stitch. Walking foot works great. Bobbin drops in without taking the project out. Check one out.
    I'm with there with the Viking Rose, I have and it all these years, it's a work horse, and has never let me down.
    Barb

I bought a Baby Lock this past Christmas for my use while home in the USA. I am "hooked" - talk about intuitive and easy to use, to say nothing of the quality and wide range of prices and models. I bought a Sofia 2 ($600) and am pleased with it. I will probably upgrade in a few years to a more sophisticated model, but this was like meeting an old friend with whom I could quickly renew a friendship. They are made in Asia, but at the Baby Lock factory to their specs.
    The quilt you see, is a part of me.
    In your hand is the sum of my parts
    My mind, my body and a piece of my heart.
    Wrap in it, lay on it, cry, and dream.
    It's made to help you know what love means.

I have both Singer & Brother machines and love them both, but I do lean more towards the Brother.js

Blog Entries
    You can buy a lower end Huskvarna, I have the high end and a low end machine and use the low end machine 90% of the time! I don't use all the fancy "bells and whistlles" after all!
    Patski
    always learning

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast