Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Background fabric by the bolt? >

Background fabric by the bolt?

Background fabric by the bolt?

Old 06-06-2018, 05:19 AM

The local farbric store that is going out of business just posted they are up to 50% off on the quilting fabric now, so I plan on loading up on backing fabric. I've already bought two bolts of extra wide premium muslin, and may get another as I really like it.

I am going to be looking for fabric I can use as background and getting larger quantities. So much of my stash is 1-3 yard cuts and that is fine for piecing, but if I am doing a sampler quilt I rarely have enough for the background. So expanding that will be a big boost for me. And if at some point I decide I bought something that I just don't want to use on the front of a quilt, I can use it for the backing.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:27 AM

I also buy neutrals by the bolt at J's. The only thing I have noticed at my J's. You have to tell the person at the measuring table that you are using a coupon. So don't discount it by purchasing the "end of bolt". I have gotten to the cash register and my coupon doesn't work because of some discount put on it at the table. I turn right around, wait in line again and make them take it off. If you aren't aware it if, it can be costly in yardage. So tell the person at the cash register also and make certain your coupon takes.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:08 AM

Buying by the bolt is simply buying 8 or 10 yards (depending on the fabric). So, if you have a coupon for by the yard, it works on the whole thing. Joann's also sells the wider cottons fabric, both in solids and some prints. This rarely goes on sale (like Kona) but, if when you get a 60% coupon, it is an excellent stash purchase.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:14 AM

End of bolt (remnant) is 50% off. So if you are using a 40% coupon, the remnant is better and if you are using a 50%, it would be the same for that last less than yard piece. And your coupon is good for the all the other section of fabric. The only time it makes a difference is if you have a 60% coupon. Then I would tell them to keep it as one number and not enter the last bit as a remnant. They are just trying to give you a discount. Also, if there is a problem with your slip, you should not have to pull a number and wait in the cut line a second time. Just tell the cutter there is a problem and they should take you as the next person. If not, that is an employee issue (not a Joann company issue) and you should find a manager.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:34 AM

I have found kona spreads anyone else.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:22 AM

No one has mentioned my favorite shop that is online and handy as a phone call. www.fabricsdepot.com in Portland, OR., and ask to speak with the warehouse department. I bought all of the bolts of snow white kona, maise, butter, cream and black with 14 - 16 yards in each one. I usually get 40% to 75% off on my orders, and its delivered to me. I save on gas of going anywhere and on time too. They have also 'found' fabric that I bought in Des Moines, Iowa (Creekside) five years before. They have treated me excellent in service. I am on their email list that keeps me informed of their sales on Kona and other fabric as well. I am trying to remember if its fabric or fabrics depot...senior moment, but I am betting that you'all will find it.

I have not had the extra money lately to order from them and my stash has been built up, so I really don't need to order anything. I have promised myself to be more productive before I 'want' any more fabric. Don't know how long that thought will last. LOL!
Old 06-06-2018, 05:10 PM

Is FB Quilters Market a web site?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:04 PM

I don’t necessarily buy a bolt but one fabric I will buy in 5 to 10 yard quantities is RJR Cotton Supreme solids, especially the French vanilla. I discovered it about 2 years ago with an order from MSQC (Missouri Star Quilting Co.). At $5.95 a yard it’s very affordable and the quality is excellent. No shredding, strings everywhere, etc. I love working with this fabric and it seems to play well with fabrics that have white or cream .. it’s not bright white but not yellowish either. Mainly I enjoy the quality of the fabric. Occasionally MSQC will have free shipping as their daily deal .. that’s a great time to order large quantities that don’t meet the normal $100 free shipping.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:56 AM

I buy most of my fabric by six yard pieces found at auction at Marshall's Dry Goods on ebay. But recently I bought 15 yard bolts of Mary Fons fabric at Marshall's also. Couldn't beat the price with a stick! I am a very thrifty quilter. If I need white for background or backing I buy it from Georgia Towels also on ebay. I buy king sized white cotton sheets, made in the USA and again, great prices.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM

Thanks for all the information. We will be stateside come October. Could someone please tell me how to mark this thread as important or 'bookmark' or something so I can find it in 4 months time. I tried to 'subscribe' but either it didn't work or I just can't find it. Thanks.