Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it bad when your father buys you fabric?

I have made a few bow tuck totes for family and friends. I saw on here some that were made with denim and flannel shirts. I went to his closet and took some old flannel that he does not wear. I told him I would have to buy some denim some time. Well, today Mom and Dad went grocery shopping. They stopped at their Walmart and Dad bought me 3 yards of light denim. Now, any of you who make that bag will know that it does not take that much fabric to make one bag. I guess I will have to make a few. He really wants me to make them to sell. I wish I could fit more into a 24 hour day. Maybe I should give up sleeping for a while. :)

Blog Entries
    What a sweet Dad you have!!! Have fun with all that denim...you could also make a rag quilt with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amy WI
    I have made a few bow tuck totes for family and friends. I saw on here some that were made with denim and flannel shirts. I went to his closet and took some old flannel that he does not wear. I told him I would have to buy some denim some time. Well, today Mom and Dad went grocery shopping. They stopped at their Walmart and Dad bought me 3 yards of light denim. Now, any of you who make that bag will know that it does not take that much fabric to make one bag. I guess I will have to make a few. He really wants me to make them to sell. I wish I could fit more into a 24 hour day. Maybe I should give up sleeping for a while. :)
    I tried giving up sleep and it is not a good idea! :D lol

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a wonderful Dad :mrgreen: maybe make him something small just for him :lol:

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    that makes me cry! he went into a "store" he knew nothing about to buy you some encouragement. WHAT A GREAT DAD! Cherish him! (and you better do what he says)

What a great dad!
    Mine would have done the same thing.
    Things like this are memories to cherish.

That is the sweetest thing I've heard all day!!!! My dad always supported me like that, too. He believed in me --- I think your dad believes in you, too. :) Maybe make a little matching something (one for you and one for him) like pillows?

Blog Entries
    That is so sweet!

Thanks everyone! My dad does encourage me I just wish I had more time to fulfill all of the encouragement. He chews tobacco(I know nasty), so I made him a zipper bag in Hankie material for him to keep it in. I may have to make him one with the denim. :)

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amy WI
    My dad is the same way.. He and my mom were at a garage sale and he saw a huge box of older Joannes blocks of the month kits probably 20+ or so.. He bought it all for $2.. Hes such haggler!! Anyway, Mom called me to tell me dad got me a surprise... She let the cat out of the bag but he was excited to give it to me the next time i went down to visit.. gotta love family who supports our habits - Whoops I meant Hobby!!

:lol:

Hi Amy - I met you at the Madison Quilt Expo....You are so lucky to have a dad that supports your quilting. That is just awesome!

A great dad. Keep him. I sure miss my dad.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    That is so wonderful of your Dad, he is a sweety.

Oh wow make sure you make at least one bag to remember dad by!! How sweet of him!

How thoughtful of your dad! Lucky you!

What a nice dad!

Quote Originally Posted by laughingquilter
    Hi Amy - I met you at the Madison Quilt Expo....You are so lucky to have a dad that supports your quilting. That is just awesome!
    Hello! I couldn't remember you board name on here. :) Made it back okay I see. I am already planning for next year. Do you ever get to Nancy's sale in May in Beaver Dam? It starts on my birthday next year so I will be there for sure. Take care! Hope to see you again soon.

Blog Entries
    You have a wonderful dad, wish mine were here to do that!!

such a sweet dad.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like dad is very proud of you.

Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    that makes me cry! he went into a "store" he knew nothing about to buy you some encouragement. WHAT A GREAT DAD! Cherish him! (and you better do what he says)
    That is so sweet! Cherish it!! I lost my dad about 3 months ago and that is exactly the kind of stuff he would do...you are a lucky girl. I agree also....make him a little something. Book cover if he reads or just something little...he will LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I used to be scared of my dad but now he's just a teddy bear. I'll post a picture later if I can find one. ;)

How could it ever be bad when someone you loves take enough interest in what you do, to help you with supplies. Even if you don't have time to make a bunch of Bow Tuck bags, and sell them at a craft show.. what about selling one or two to people you work with, or neighbors, or someone you meet at the grocery store. Even if you don't make many of them to have on hand, you can always tell them it will be XX number of days, because you have "other orders" to fill first. That will make them think you are busy and most of the time, knowing they are going to get something handmade they are willing to wait.

I used to sell some of my crafts when I did scroll sawing, and most of the time, I would make one item, take it to work and show my coworkers. They knew if they wanted one, they were going to have to wait, because I didn't have the resourses to make up a bunch of something, hoping I could sell them, and that I made them as I got orders. That way, if someone wanted something different or out of the ordinary, I could charge more, because they would be getting something custom made the way they wanted it.

Blog Entries
    Amy that is so thoughtful of your DAD! what a good guy!

Blog Entries
    Amy that is so thoughtful of your DAD! what a good guy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast